Musical Genres - A Nuisance Or A Necessity?
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 29 2012, 10:14 AM
Instructor
We human beings are used to placing things in little boxes smile.gif it feels good to know what's what, but to what end? I was hilariously amused to read a comment on one of my YT vids, which showcases a riff in the song called 'Seeds' by ARIA. The riff is very machinegun like and the comment stated: 'Wow dude! Typewritecore!' laugh.gif it feels great to have invented a new sub sub sub sub genre, but hey, after all, it's just music, ain't it?

How are you guys feeling about all the sub-genres people are using to define music nowadays - do you think it's better to say that one thing is classic metal and another modern for instance? It definitely feels much easier and less pressurizing on people, who won't sometimes know where to place a band when they talk about it smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
dark dude
Feb 29 2012, 08:25 PM
GMC:er
I don't have a problem with it at all and find it useful a lot of the time.

It's only when people start arguing about this being 'x' and that not being 'y' that I switch off (e.g. YouTube comments).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 1 2012, 09:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark dude @ Feb 29 2012, 07:25 PM) *
I don't have a problem with it at all and find it useful a lot of the time.

It's only when people start arguing about this being 'x' and that not being 'y' that I switch off (e.g. YouTube comments).

That's also where I am. I don't mind there being different genres an it is useful but it gets a bit ridiculous with how many there are now.

But yes, the worst is when somebody makes the 'dreadful error' of getting a genre wrong ! It's laughable how pedantic people are. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 1 2012, 10:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 1 2012, 08:39 AM) *
That's also where I am. I don't mind there being different genres an it is useful but it gets a bit ridiculous with how many there are now.

But yes, the worst is when somebody makes the 'dreadful error' of getting a genre wrong ! It's laughable how pedantic people are. laugh.gif

ha! Ben! You don't know what upsidedownmeltyourfacecrushyourbrainmetal is? laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:09 AM