2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Clean Speedpicking?, Mine's as dirty as hell ...
Pavel
Feb 19 2007, 12:17 AM
Instructor
I've been playing electric guitar for around 3 and a half years. Before that i played classical guitar in music school for 5 years. I practice guitar 5-10 hours a day. Usualy it's around 7 hours. My record is 13 hours in one day, only did it once.

Today i noticed unbelieveable progress as a few weeks now i felt like i am in the same spot. Today - a huge breakthrough!!! cool.gif

The stretches lessons will be there... be patient! wink.gif

@Brainelss: right hand close-up or left hand close-up?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Feb 19 2007, 12:49 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 18 2007, 06:17 PM) *
I've been playing electric guitar for around 3 and a half years. Before that i played classical guitar in music school for 5 years. I practice guitar 5-10 hours a day. Usualy it's around 7 hours. My record is 13 hours in one day, only did it once.

Today i noticed unbelieveable progress as a few weeks now i felt like i am in the same spot. Today - a huge breakthrough!!! cool.gif

the left hand

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 19 2007, 02:41 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Feb 18 2007, 06:10 PM) *
I'd love a close up shot of someone doing the speed picking exercise that gives a clear shot of the string muffling that is going on.

+1 - That would help me a lot too ...

QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Feb 18 2007, 06:49 PM) *
the left hand

AND the right hand - I'm thinking about seeing what kind of palm muting goes on if any ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 19 2007, 09:39 AM
Instructor
OK guys - i'll mix up a little video later because i gotta study for my exams today. I'll post it in here in the evening!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Norven
Feb 19 2007, 10:04 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 19 2007, 12:17 AM) *

okey nice:)
I practise 4-8 hours a day. My record is 12 hours.

Congratulation:)

--------------------
The Guitar may be the love of life.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 20 2007, 04:06 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 18 2007, 04:32 PM) *
Hey Pavel !

Thanks for taking so much time to think about this and figuring out what I was doing wrong - I have been out all day, and saw your post just before I left ... now is the first time I could pick up a guitar to check this out, I'll let you know how it goes, I am very grateful for this incredible help in undoing the bad habits of so many years! When I played classical guitar I sat with my guitar on the left leg, with a footstool. So I used to do it right, then got lazy, and you are right, it crowds out my left arm. Its amazing that I didn't see it myself - lets see how it helps my playing :-)

Also, thanks for the other tips on the exercises, I am just about to have a monster practice session, and I will try and put all of this together (along with all the other great things I have learnt, like a different way to hold the pick, and even using a new type of pick!). I feel like a beginner again, but I know this is going to improve my guitar playing beyond recognition so I am up for it!

Thanks again Pavel !

UPDATE :::

Well, annoyingly I had hardly any time over the last few days to try this out, but I sat down with it for 10 minutes or so and immediately felt more controlled, and able to play more cleanly. There is still a lot of work ahead, but this is an important breakthrough I think! Thanks again Pavel smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 26 2007, 08:57 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 19 2007, 12:17 AM) *

Great routine and awesome progress - this evidence of how fast one can make progress with a serious routine! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Feb 26 2007, 05:06 PM
I had a speed picking breakthrough today. I was downstairs playing and realized that I was comfortable enough with it at higher speeds that I could actually just focus on my palm more when I was playing and have officially conquered the ringing B string. I also can actually do it standing up now, thanks to Pavel pointing out that practicing on my left leg would be better.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 26 2007, 05:39 PM
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Feb 26 2007, 11:06 AM) *
I had a speed picking breakthrough today. I was downstairs playing and realized that I was comfortable enough with it at higher speeds that I could actually just focus on my palm more when I was playing and have officially conquered the ringing B string. I also can actually do it standing up now, thanks to Pavel pointing out that practicing on my left leg would be better.

I'm envious! That B string still gets me, although I think I am improving. What exactly did you to to conquer it? (Other than practice a lot) - can you give me any tips????

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:27 PM