> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Jeroen's Iron Techniques, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2014, 02:15 PM
Instructor
Hello Jeroen! I'm happy to open our thread for working together on techniques and other things. You are a guitarist with a lot of energy who is all the time evolving and creating so I'm sure that this thread will be very inspiring.

You said that you wanted to start working on two hands tapping and (mini) Sweep Picking. What's your experience with these techniques? Have you worked on any lesson here or exercises?

and up the irons!! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Jun 30 2014, 03:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
For starters: thank you for working with me and Up The Irons!! This is gonna be an energetic and inspirational ride smile.gif

(Mini) sweeps: no experience, but I like the unique sounding licks that can be played with it. I understand arpeggio's though.

I sometimes play two handed tapping, but never really practiced it through lessons. Check this video at 2:12 where I play a simple two handed tapping piece. You will immediately hear that the piece is not played in an even rhytm, that's because I never really worked with this technique.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2014, 04:02 PM
Instructor
Nice video as always! Ok, let's start working on these two techniques. Both are usually played around arpeggios but it's not the only way to use them, you can also create ideas using other notes from the scales.

Mini- Sweeps:

When I was a teenager I became obsessed with mini bends because of this amazing solo by a local neo classical guitarist called Walted Giardino. This solo has been my main workout for mastering this technique:

As you can see it's a long metal neoclassical piece with extremely fast sweeping. Then I discovered that more rocker players like Zakk Wylde, Doug Aldritche and even John Petrucci used this technique a lot and I start to use it also with Pentatonic Scales.

This lesson is a bit tricky to start but I think that it's good to start with it because it includes many shapes and patterns that we can isolate as different exercises. The idea is that you take each pattern and work on it over a drum loop or using the backing tracks, but keep on playing them as a loop focusing on your hands movements.

Sweep Picking movement should start from your wrist, but there is also a small right hand fingers movement when you reach the higher string that generates some kind of "circular" motion. Check Ben's video and you'll see what I mean. That's what you should try doing. Remember to start slowly to be sure that you are doing the right movement.

This is the lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Power-Of-Mini-Sweeps/

Tapping:

Tapping is the same than playing legato technique but using extra fingers from your right hand. This means that you have to use hammer on and pull off concepts to get a good sound when you tap.

As I had a song that inspired me and made me practice mini sweeps, I had one that made me want to practice tapping. Here we go:

To start working on this technique, let's give a try to these lessons:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Basic-Tapping/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...atonic-tapping/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Jul 1 2014, 04:25 PM
Sounds great Gabriel, I'm starting very soon. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 1 2014, 08:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jul 1 2014, 12:25 PM) *
Sounds great Gabriel, I'm starting very soon. smile.gif

Perfect! Keep me updated. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Jul 3 2014, 09:32 PM
I started today with practicing tapping and mini sweeps. It's very interesting. I'm enjoying it a lot. Starting to learn the notes and licks on a very low speed. First I'm trying to get a feel for it and know the notes without having to look at the tab all the time. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 4 2014, 06:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jul 3 2014, 05:32 PM) *
I started today with practicing tapping and mini sweeps. It's very interesting. I'm enjoying it a lot. Starting to learn the notes and licks on a very low speed. First I'm trying to get a feel for it and know the notes without having to look at the tab all the time. smile.gif

Perfect! That's the way! Patience and hard work. Feel free to share videos here to let me give you early feedback. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2014, 05:15 PM
Instructor
Hi Jeroen! I was wondering how are those mini sweeps and tapping exercises going. Are there any videos to check the progress?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Jul 13 2014, 05:33 PM
Hey Gab, thanks for asking. I'm going a little slow, but I'll make a video to show the first basics that I'm working on. My focus was mainly on picking hand basics which I finally got to a good level. Coming week I will focus on tapping and mini sweeps. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2014, 06:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jul 13 2014, 01:33 PM) *
Hey Gab, thanks for asking. I'm going a little slow, but I'll make a video to show the first basics that I'm working on. My focus was mainly on picking hand basics which I finally got to a good level. Coming week I will focus on tapping and mini sweeps. smile.gif

Alternate Picking! Great decision to focus on this technique. Feel free also to share a video playing that lesson by Ben.

Some basic description and tips about this technique.

• It basically means alternation between downstrokes and upstrokes
• It can also help your timing for funk rhythms.
• It lets you use your mind to other things since the motion can be automated.
• Get in the habit of holding the pick between your thumb and your forefinger.
• Keep the exposed area of the pick to a minimum. (for precision)
• Try to do the movements the smaller than possible.

Once you master this lesson, the next step would be to start working on crossing string which makes everything trickier. In these thread you will find more tips for this technique and also exercises for AP crossing strings:

Crossing Strings I
Crossing Strings II

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Jul 13 2014, 07:38 PM
I have been working with Cosmin on my AP because it needed serious improvement. This is my progress recorded today:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 14 2014, 03:22 PM
Instructor
Hi Jeroen! Thanks for the video. I can note that you need to keep on working on this technique to feel more comfortable and to be able to play this lesson tighter. Some things that I note you have to keep in mind:

- Try to do the right hand movement the smaller possible. Concentrate on it and your alternate picking technique will be more effective.

- Relax your right hand and arm, and let your arm move a bit from your elbow while you play this technique. You should feel your hand relaxed and moving as if you would have water in your hand and you shake it from your writs to quit it.

- Practice slower but trying to accentuate a bit the first note of each group of 4 16th notes. The same with the first of each group of 2 8th notes. And also with the first note of each triplet. This will define and clarify the rhythm of your AP. At first, you can do this a bit exaggerated, then you will be able to manage it depending the intention that you want to give to what you play.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Aug 17 2014, 05:15 PM
I'm back from holiday and ready to practice! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 18 2014, 04:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Aug 17 2014, 01:15 PM) *
I'm back from holiday and ready to practice! smile.gif

Cool! Welcome back! Do you have a routine designed? What are your next goals?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Aug 18 2014, 06:52 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 18 2014, 05:16 PM) *
Cool! Welcome back! Do you have a routine designed? What are your next goals?

I start with a couple of warm ups, then practice AP. after that I practice two handed tapping. Than improvising, songwriting, learning songs or a combination.

Any tips to improve my workout?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 19 2014, 12:45 AM
Instructor
Hi Jeroen, the plan sounds good, but you have to define the things that you are going to work. For example, regarding improvisation, what are you going to work? What do you know about theory and scales? What do you feel you are lacking?

About technique, it's always important to have a well designed routine that covers different techniques. I would go for this list:

- Alternate Picking
- Legato
- Feeling (Vibrato, bending, dynamics)
- Tapping

And finally about composition, I consider important to divide this topic in two:

- Analyzing songs.
- Working on your own ideas.

What do you think? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Aug 19 2014, 08:04 AM
Sounds very good, you know how to structure things. About improvising, I know enough scales I think and I understand what notes fit over chords. So when I improvise I take a backing track, analyze the chord progression and start jamming..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 19 2014, 01:26 PM
Instructor
Sounds good. There are many things that you can work to improve your improvisation abilities. This is a list of topics that you should have in mind:

- Playing major and minor scales in 5 different positions.
- Playing minor and major scale using different sequences.
- Playing pentatonic scales in 5 different positions.
- Pentatonic scale with sequences.
- Combining major scale with pentatonic scale.
- Learning minor and major arpeggios.
- Improvise over a backing track following chords with arpeggios.
- Combining everything over backing tracks.
- Three notes per string shapes
- Passing notes & chromatic scale

It's also very important to do some connection between mind and fret board. Use your voice to sing melodies and then play them on your guitar. And off course, learn new licks every day, and create your own variations.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Sep 3 2014, 05:30 PM
I must confess, I didn't practice much. On the other hand I made a new cover. Did you see it?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52922

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2014, 02:28 AM
Instructor
Awesome!! You have feedback there! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:17 PM