Static/interference When Recording
Scorpiotic
Apr 18 2012, 09:11 AM
GMC:er
Hi guys,

Usually i record my audio into my Zoom H4 recorder (either through line out on amp to plugin or by mic) and it works ok, but I'd really like to do recordings straight to my computer, both for audio alone and for recording vid+audio (for instance to share ideas with the GMC community smile.gif )

But whenever I try setting it up i get a horrible buzzing. Its not detectable when playing, but in between every little break its really annoying.

What I do is using the line out on my amp (Spider IV 75w) with converter from regular jack to small jack for it to fit mic input on computer. Pretty simple and "cheap" (as in not buying additional gear) but that noise... I've tried turning distortion off, turning off my Boss CS-3, neither seems to be the problem. Also, my computer seems to have a hard time "keeping up" with my guitar, why is that? bad sound card?

Anyways, that "slow" problem goes away if I do line out to H4 recorder, then connecting it to the laptop by H4 line out to laptop mic input (i guess the H4 acts as a soundcard/processer?). But the noise is still there

Tried to record in both FL Studio 10 and REAPER; FL Studio get a good sound capture and accurate speed, but still got that noise. REAPER just gets ALOT of the static and barely the guitar cuts through...

Its not the coils either, the sound is there either way

Going mad guys, please help !

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Scorpiotic
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Scorpiotic
Apr 27 2012, 06:40 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (thefireball @ Apr 18 2012, 04:10 PM) *
You could have a ground problem. Does it go away if you touch the strings? Or maybe you are getting interference from a device? What do you have around you? Fluorescent lights and machines can cause this.

it does not go away when i touch the strings.
I never have any problem when listening directly from H4 recorder or from the amp itself, just when plugged into laptop
got an on/off light, ceiling fan and aircon in room, tried switching all off, no improvement sad.gif

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 18 2012, 07:24 PM) *
Sounds like all you need is a simple noisegate.

Recently I was playing with a 6505 in Revalver and it sounded amazing but had a slight hiss when I ended my playing. I threw a noise gate first in the chain, about a -55 or -60 threshold, and it was gone.

If not, then it might be improper grounding or a bad solder somewhere in the guitar. Dirty pots maybe? Could be numerous things.

Do u know of any easy and good vst etc noisegate ? the ones ive tried so far have only worked on the highest treshold, and then i such a way that it cuts off the guitar a bare second after strumming =/

QUOTE (kahall @ Apr 19 2012, 04:53 AM) *
I can't really picture your set up in my mind but it does sound like a ground loop problem which I once had and have talked about on here somewhere before.

Is all of your equipment that you use to record plugged into the same electrical outlet?
If not try that using a power strip of some kind if you have to.

all equip is setup into same outlet yes

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Scorpiotic
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:23 PM