The Power Of Repetition
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 6 2012, 12:51 PM
Instructor
What makes musical ideas stick to our minds? It's usually called repetition and you can read an extensive article about it if you click here: Repetition Definition

Each time a theme is developed, it uses repetitive phrases which establish a pattern/ recurring melody in our head until we end up humming it on the streets laugh.gif

It is a very powerful tool for any musician, it can include complex or very simple phrases, it can be technical or melodic and it is found in many famous songs. What will you guys say, if we discuss repetition in various forms by posting your favorite songs which have repetition included in their themes/ melodies, in this thread?

I will start with an all time favorite guitar delice:

He builds everything around the famous theme in the first two bars tongue.gif ta ta ta ta taa ta aa ta aa taa-aaaaa using octaves and then you can hear it everywhere, but the beginning sticks to your head nonetheless, because it is heard so many times during the song.

Let's keep em coming biggrin.gif

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Apr 6 2012, 05:50 PM
Instructor
Very good thread!
You are absolutely right! A lot of guitar players do that!
Even in pop songs it's all about repeating! The reason is to get it stuck in your head smile.gif so you will remember the song and the melody and when will go home you will be humming it!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 7 2012, 08:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Apr 6 2012, 04:50 PM) *
Very good thread!
You are absolutely right! A lot of guitar players do that!
Even in pop songs it's all about repeating! The reason is to get it stuck in your head smile.gif so you will remember the song and the melody and when will go home you will be humming it!

Hey Alex! What's your favorite? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Apr 7 2012, 04:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
This song. I'm obsessed with the main theme. I LOVE it.

First he plays it quietly, then up an octave, building up the tension - then changes to the second theme and the crazy solo work. Then returns to the main themes which sound a lot more majestic now as the song progresses. And then... another solo in a totally different mood, just to explode in a more "in your face" shred! And after all that craziness he finally returns to the same theme, with an added twist. The moment at 4:26 is just estactic, at least for me. But the full effect can be experienced only if you listen to the whole song, start to end. He really knows to keep the melody in your head, but not become boring by repeating it over and over. And there's not only one repetitive theme, but several, and they flow really well, because every time he repeats the melody he adds a little unique decoration to it.

And yeah, I hum this all the time, and when I showed this to my friends they hum it too biggrin.gif

I like songs that have the "catchy" part that sticks in your head, and I also like songs which have show-off moments like shred. But if you combine these two elements together, you get a masterpiece!

That's one of the main reasons I love Deep Purple so much. To be honest, Ritchie isn't the most technically advanced player out there, but man he could write a catchy melody/riff! And the Highway Star solo - it's so famous and catchy, and it has that famous repetitive "bending part" that most of the guitarists who cover this song don't even think to improvise on this one!

That's why I hate when someone comes to me and says: Why do you even practice speed and shred, it's all about the catchy-ness! And I respond: I practice it so I can put just a little bit of it between the catchy parts, so it sounds better, but only so much better and not overdoing it.

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Apr 7 2012, 04:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 7 2012, 04:54 PM
GMC:er
That guy is EPIC! Is he famous? and why isn't he, if not? Repitition is very important, its the theme of the song. Thanks for sharing!

QUOTE (Dinaga @ Apr 7 2012, 10:18 AM) *
This song. I'm obsessed with the main theme. I LOVE it.

First he plays it quietly, then up an octave, building up the tension - then changes to the second theme and the crazy solo work. Then returns to the main themes which sound a lot more majestic now as the song progresses. And then... another solo in a totally different mood, just to explode in a more "in your face" shred! And after all that craziness he finally returns to the same theme, with an added twist. The moment at 4:26 is just estactic, at least for me. But the full effect can be experienced only if you listen to the whole song, start to end. He really knows to keep the melody in your head, but not become boring by repeating it over and over. And there's not only one repetitive theme, but several, and they flow really well, because every time he repeats the melody he adds a little unique decoration to it.

And yeah, I hum this all the time, and when I showed this to my friends they hum it too biggrin.gif

I like songs that have the "catchy" part that sticks in your head, and I also like songs which have show-off moments like shred. But if you combine these two elements together, you get a masterpiece!

That's one of the main reasons I love Deep Purple so much. To be honest, Ritchie isn't the most technically advanced player out there, but man he could write a catchy melody/riff! And the Highway Star solo - it's so famous and catchy, and it has that famous repetitive "bending part" that most of the guitarists who cover this song don't even think to improvise on this one!

That's why I hate when someone comes to me and says: Why do you even practice speed and shred, it's all about the catchy-ness! And I respond: I practice it so I can put just a little bit of it between the catchy parts, so it sounds better, but only so much better and not overdoing it.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title: Air Guitarist

Guitarist Title thread

DWR's EPIC Practice Journal l

DarkWaveRiffer's Modern Music Mentored By Cosmin Thread

Lead Mastery Mentored by Gab

Attacking Scales Mentored By Alex Thread

Want to know how to practice for success?? Click here!!

Are you sabotaging your practice? Click here!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 7 2012, 05:12 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 7 2012, 11:54 AM) *
That guy is EPIC! Is he famous? and why isn't he, if not? Repitition is very important, its the theme of the song. Thanks for sharing!

He has MANY lessons here. He used to be instructor here, but has moved on to pursue other musical endeavors.

Repetition is good as long as it has variety. Just as the posts above said, the repetition is made interesting through switching octaves, and having the music behind change as it progresses.

Look at modern pop though, the repetition is almost always 100% identical, that to me is a major fault.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 9 2012, 09:26 AM
Instructor
Well, the problem with some pop tunes is that they are aimed for the big mass of listeners who can't really make the difference on how a song is built smile.gif got a lot of examples surrounding me and I can't blame them, as they are not listening like we are (not meant to sound like boasting in any way, but it's just reality)

A good song stays a good song smile.gif it's the details which make it shine more or less, usually.

Muris is a hell of a player and a very good musician indeed! Very good example Dinaga biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:08 PM