"major" Scale Exercises, **Beginners**
Chris Evans
Sep 15 2008, 01:15 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Beginner Scale Exercises

Attached Image

Not the most interesting subjects, and not the most coolest of lessons, but .. its something that is a necessary evil laugh.gif
Personally, I dont actually mind setting aside time (lots of it) to running up and down playing scale exercises, its something that you can do and practice without actually having to be plugged in to the amp, I quite often sit in front of the computer doing other things and playing scales in between typing, waiting for downloads etc.

You can use scales to also practice picking techniques, legato & alternate picking to name just two but these are the ones that I tend to focus a fair bit on when playing these kind of exercises.
These kinds of exercises are also good for practicing timing, here at GMC we often have the luxury of great backing tracks to play along with, again with scales you can cut things down to the bare minimum and either play along with a basic backing (like the one in this lesson) or even futher with just a metronome.

The main aim of this lesson is really to focus on timing, getting your fingers used to moving accross all six strings, introducing your pinky and showing you that the same patterns can be played all over the fret board depending on the key.

Thsi is a series of four exercises starting from a very basic scale ascending and descending to a more interesting 3 note per string scale exercise, you can of course jump to anyone you like, but as a complete beginner I`d recomend starting with Exercise 1 and working your way through to Exercise 4 as they all follow on from each other smile.gif

Firstly lets look at the notes we are going to be playing in the first video:

Attached Image

The red dots indicate the root note, notice that I have not indicated what actual note we are starting with, thats because in this exercise we will be using this scale shape in four different positions.
Starting with C on the bottom E string.

This exercise changes keys from C to D to E and to F, I`ve mixed it up a little to try and make things a little more interesting. So you will play exactly the same shape that is in the diagram but moving the root note accordingly.

The backing that I`ve made here (although a tadge boring) is intentional, obviously a straight drum beat all the way through, a constant Bass playing the root note on the beat and just a keyboard note indicating the start of each pattern.

Ok on to Exercise One:

VIDEO 1 Attached File  Main_1.mpg ( 24.8MB ) Number of downloads: 987
this is played at 75BPM

The exercise sequence is displayed on the screen also but just for reference the order that you play each scale (ascending & decending) is:

C,D,E,F,D,E,C

Slow video : Attached File  slow_1.1.mpg ( 6.24MB ) Number of downloads: 481

This is just the scale pattern in C for demo purposes.

Backing track 75BPM : Attached File  Major_workout_audio_main_backing_75bpm.mp3 ( 2.23MB ) Number of downloads: 417

(If you`d like any slower backing on this then just send me a PM and I`ll post one up)

Once you have got used to the notes and moving the position to the different keys you can try slightly faster smile.gif

Backing track at 90BPM : Attached File  Major_workout_audio_main_backing_90bpm.mp3 ( 1.81MB ) Number of downloads: 388

Exercise 2

Same backing as before and we`ll be using the scale shape from exercise one (ascending only) and introducing a new scale shape for ascending.

Attached Image

This is a three note per string ascending run, in the main video I`m playing this at 90BPM but its exactly the same backing as before so you can use the 75BPM backing to begin with.

on the ascending run you`ll start with the root note of the scale on the high E string and running sown to the root note on the A string.

Video 2 : Attached File  Main_2.mpg ( 21.55MB ) Number of downloads: 489

Slow video : Attached File  Slow_2.2.mpg ( 7.66MB ) Number of downloads: 303

Backing Track at 90BPM : Attached File  Major_workout_audio_main_backing_90bpm.mp3 ( 1.81MB ) Number of downloads: 388

Exercise 3 (The reverse)

this time we`ll be using the 3 note per string run ascending and the scale run from exercise one descending again at 90BPM but take a slower backing till you are comfortable.

Video 3 : Attached File  Main_3.mpg ( 21.65MB ) Number of downloads: 416

Slow video : Attached File  Slow_3.3.mpg ( 7.46MB ) Number of downloads: 288

Excercise 4

Probably the most interesting exercise, all three notes per string ascending and descending using the patterns from exercises 3 & 4.

Video 4 : Attached File  Main_4.mpg ( 21.42MB ) Number of downloads: 463

Slow video : Attached File  Slow_4.4.mpg ( 9.93MB ) Number of downloads: 297

If theres anything unclear then please feel free to ask any questions, I`ve not got into theory here in any depth as the main aim for this lesson is for exercise purposes and get those fingers working, at the same time learning a scale or two, two major scales played in slightly different positions.

Once you`ve mastered these exercises you my want to have a look at THIS lesson, its exactly the same but provides faster backings smile.gif

Hope this helps some of you, any questions just ask

Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smells: Sep 15 2008, 02:00 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 15 2008, 09:24 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Good job one the lesson Smells ! Really useful stuff in there ! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Sep 16 2008, 03:41 AM
GMC:er
Good stuff here.... wink.gif thanks chris

This post has been edited by Outlaw2112: Sep 16 2008, 03:45 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Sep 16 2008, 02:13 PM
Singing Instructor
I am on it for shore(being the beginner at the guitar smile.gif ).
Thanks man,great lesson.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:03 PM