Several Stuff, suggestions and questions concerning forum and general site things
BTrian
Nov 18 2012, 06:25 AM
Learning Roadie
so after being here for a while and getting used to the site just some things that came to mind.

okay looks like I just spent like 2 hours on it so quite epic wall of text by me again dry.gif .
so you may aswell take your time reading through and maybe grab up some ideas or explain why it is the way it is and how it should work.
(take into account that the following is meant to be constructive stuff and no random rant, still loving the community and most of the stuff here)

Site in General

It's often pretty hard (esp. for new ppl. I suppose) to get a feeling about where to find some things and what is actually up to date, official stuff or more important.
some stuff seems to be placed pretty random, e.g. the wiki which is rather huge and contains a large amount of information has only one link on the featured content on the main page.
The wiki itself also seems a bit overwhelming and it's not that easy to sort out what is new, what is worked on, what is an actual article or a link to a forum section.
Posting dates on the articles might help a lot.

there are sections I stumbled across I have no idea where to find now biggrin.gif (like the radio thingy) or any clue if it is still being worked on or dropped dead for months.

there is overlapping and redundant content that's not helping with general overview.
For instance the Workshops page, not sure what it is going to tell me about workshops but it actually looks like some page with current content thrown together that is already around on other main sections of the site aswell
(chat link on the top, latest lessons on the main page and on the guitar lessons start page, latest forum threads)
kind of looks like it is there to promote cool new stuff (which is ok, but the mainpage kind of already does the same, doesn't it?)
Community section has that "latest finished collabs" thing which is dated back to march.

There is much great stuff on that site, imho the main problem is the sorting and getting an idea of what to find in which place, guess some kind of advanced main menu would help a lot in comparison to the 5 menu points being there at the moment.

Guitar Lessons
the current lessons page only allows filtering for 1 category and display newest and top rated of that.
would be great to get more branching (picking a category and then be still able to pick a difficulty, sort by instructor name, etc)
I am aware of the fact that you already can do all this by using the advanced lesson after clicking on the search button (which is doing a great job), but once again that's not the first place I would take a look if I want to further categorize the lesson overview (which is kind of important given the number of lessons here biggrin.gif) maybe somehow make further branching possible in the categories or put in a reference to the advanced lesson search there.
What does "highest rated" even mean in that menu?
I don't see any rating option on the lessons (neither do I think sth like that would really work)
all I see is the number of facebook likes which doesn't seem to affect the order of the "highest rated" lessons.
Also doesn't seem to be ordered by the actual views.
some magic formula behind it?

Forum

some advanced search function would be nice.
how it currently looks like for me the general search function of the GMC site searches the whole forum for matches in thread title or topic starter without any chance to further adjust or sort it.
The Forum internal search only works on a single subforum and outputs threads that contain the word searched for sorted by Date.

Would be nice at least to have some search function for the whole forum where you can mark several sub forums being included, being able to display results as posts and search for posts by a specific author (in the memberprofiles you only see the last 5 threads and posts)

Another point is the current forum structure.
What is the vintage GMC section supposed to be? For now it looks like old forum sections thrown together and kind of archived but still open for new threads and posts?
Doesn't seem like this section should be actively used, very few stuff going on there and much just gets moved in the main forum parts despite fitting in a subforum of the vintage GMC section.

In any case for what reason was the old forum structure left behind?
to me the current one (mainly consisting of the Practice board and the Chill out thingy where like all of the stuff despite mentoring and REC is going on) doesn't feel like that big of an improvement.

Especially the Off topic board.
The topics there have a really short lifetime, cause everything is just stuffed into one section and the first page shows only stuff from the last 3-4 days or sth. There are really few topics able to survive after reaching the 2nd page of the forum display.
Due to that and the quite basic search function it's pretty hard to find stuff that was only a few weeks ago or get to know if a topic was already discussed. That's quite sad cause there were some really nice discussions going on in these boards that just have no chance to survive against the storm of random "just found that on the internet" posts by Ben and co. (which are awesome biggrin.gif). But it's quite hard to even follow what's going on if you are off for a week or sth.

so why was the old structure replaced by sth that has only 2 sections for general discussion and if the vintage GMC forum with its subsections should be still in use, why does nobody use it?

gtg sleep now sleep.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 21 2012, 08:33 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hi there and first of all - thank you for this feedback, it is very useful to us!

I'll try to answer some of the questions posted here.

The wiki itself also seems a bit overwhelming and it's not that easy to sort out what is new, what is worked on, what is an actual article or a link to a forum section.
Posting dates on the articles might help a lot.

The links to the dates and "last modified" can be seen in the very footer of all the wiki pages, example: http://screencast.com/t/faN7neRyzVaj

However - this project (Guitar Wiki) isn't regularly updated unfortunately (same as wikipedia - guitar wiki is student driven project where students add content). At the moment, it should be used mostly for information it contains (some killer articles!).
We also use it as a neat way for presenting articles (by linking to it from forum the forum or some other place), REC scoreboard and similar stuff that needs that kind of format.

there are sections I stumbled across I have no idea where to find now (like the radio thingy) or any clue if it is still being worked on or dropped dead for months.

Guitar Wiki has an independent search which works well, please try it out : http://screencast.com/t/r6SXqYPFms

For instance the Workshops page, not sure what it is going to tell me about workshops but it actually looks like some page with current content thrown together that is already around on other main sections of the site aswell
(chat link on the top, latest lessons on the main page and on the guitar lessons start page, latest forum threads)
kind of looks like it is there to promote cool new stuff (which is ok, but the mainpage kind of already does the same, doesn't it?)
Community section has that "latest finished collabs" thing which is dated back to march.

You are right - this page is meant to showcase different activities (video responses, forum/chat activity etc).
However, we are planning to redesign/replace this page in the future.

the current lessons page only allows filtering for 1 category and display newest and top rated of that.
would be great to get more branching (picking a category and then be still able to pick a difficulty, sort by instructor name, etc)

Yes, we are considering searching options on the lesson pages. It is very hard to present an archive of almost 3000 lessons in a confortable and user friendly way. We are definitely going to keep working on this until we find the way!
At the moment - we suggest using the search that is available on all the pages in the site header : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/

You'll notice that we have upgraded it and made it smart, so it now shows search term recommendations based on what you type in it. Could be very useful for finding some cool lessons! smile.gif

all I see is the number of facebook likes which doesn't seem to affect the order of the "highest rated" lessons.
Also doesn't seem to be ordered by the actual views.
some magic formula behind it?

Actually yes - we do have a "magic formula" here smile.gif It takes in account several factors that are used to measure the lesson popularity in order to showcase the cool ones. We used to have a "rate" button in the lessons though so the word "Rated" might be somewhat confusing in this case now that we don't use it anymore. Functionality should be still correct though!

some advanced search function would be nice.

At the moment forum can be searched from the general GMC Search that is located in the header of the site or through individual forum sections search : http://screencast.com/t/Z6vMiWvp4KI5

More advanced search can be found here : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo....php?act=Search
We might add a more accessible link to it in the future.

What is the vintage GMC section supposed to be? For now it looks like old forum sections thrown together and kind of archived but still open for new threads and posts?

This is where all the previous forum structure was archived. We are considering closing it for New Topics creation though as topics started in those sections do not get that much traffic as the ones in new structure.

so why was the old structure replaced by sth that has only 2 sections for general discussion and if the vintage GMC forum with its subsections should be still in use, why does nobody use it?

Old forum structure got too complicated and big over time for the traffic/activity it was receiving. It became very hard to navigate and find new stuff in it due to all the sub sections. Also a lot of stuff there got outdated and therefor even more confusing.

New forum structure was introduced as an answer to current forum activity level and needs. It should also be much easier to approach to folks that do not have much forum using experience as it has much lesson sections + it looks much cleaner.
New forum structure also pushes up front instructor activity and personal boards.

For following new posts/forum we always suggest using this button which can be found in the forum header - View New Posts : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...amp;CODE=getnew

It is very neat for catching up with activities! smile.gif

Thanks for the feedback - please keep it coming!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Nov 21 2012, 09:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 21 2012, 11:33 AM) *
Yes, we are considering searching options on the lesson pages. It is very hard to present an archive of almost 3000 lessons in a confortable and user friendly way. We are definitely going to keep working on this until we find the way!
At the moment - we suggest using the search that is available on all the pages in the site header : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/search/

You'll notice that we have upgraded it and made it smart, so it now shows search term recommendations based on what you type in it. Could be very useful for finding some cool lessons! smile.gif

If I can insert a "nice to have" here - if you choose an instructor from the Guitar Lessons' tab you'll get a comprehensive listing of lessons. If you choose a lesson, you leave the page. The only way back is the back-button, and if you're like me, you want to view all the lessons but hitting the back-button doesn't retain what you just watched, so you have to scan the list to see (and remember) where you left off to see the next lesson.

Ideally, it would be great to have lesson navigation on the player page itself so that when you're done with the lesson, you can choose the next lesson from that instructor! Kind of like youtube's scrolling list of video playlists.

Cheerios!
Chris

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 22 2012, 09:28 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Nov 21 2012, 09:22 PM) *
Ideally, it would be great to have lesson navigation on the player page itself so that when you're done with the lesson, you can choose the next lesson from that instructor! Kind of like youtube's scrolling list of video playlists.

Agreed - it would be cool to have more controls within the video player! ("go to next video part", "next lesson this series" etc)

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Nov 27 2012, 11:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 22 2012, 12:28 AM) *
Agreed - it would be cool to have more controls within the video player! ("go to next video part", "next lesson this series" etc)

My preference would be to have a pick list of lesson names with their level - but I'm a pipe dreamer smile.gif
Snappy job on the new video chat functionality. I saw it for the first time and was blown away! Great choice - absolutely love it!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 28 2012, 01:26 AM
GMC:er
How about adding "PLAYLISTING" as on youtube? Where folks can create a playlist of vids and give it a name or whatever that shows up just in their player/account.

Also, some of the standard you tube functions like "Watch Later" in addition to "Add to Playlist" would be spiff smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Nov 27 2012, 05:22 PM) *
My preference would be to have a pick list of lesson names with their level - but I'm a pipe dreamer smile.gif
Snappy job on the new video chat functionality. I saw it for the first time and was blown away! Great choice - absolutely love it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:58 PM