Anese's Newbie Note Book
Anese
Jun 28 2015, 09:30 AM
Learning Roadie
Hello everyone smile.gif
I've been wondering about this for a while now ..
I use GuitarRig with a sound interface (M-audio fast track pro) ..
as in every sound interface it usually has a Led indicator usually RED to alarm you when you reach extreme levels of gain.
but the problem that I have is that my guitar can not sustain unless I turn the soundinterface preamp knop a bit high that it starts to flash red. .. if I play in the safe ranges the guitar sounds dull .. specially in the treple strings.
so is that bad for the sound interface ? can it be damaged after a while ??
I don't realy know much about these issues so any advices are highly appreciated.
Thank you.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 28 2015, 03:43 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Anese @ Jun 28 2015, 08:30 AM) *
Hello everyone smile.gif
as in every sound interface it usually has a Led indicator usually RED to alarm you when you reach extreme levels of gain.
but the problem that I have is that my guitar can not sustain unless I turn the soundinterface preamp knop a bit high that it starts to flash red. .. if I play in the safe ranges the guitar sounds dull .. specially in the treple strings.
I don't realy know much about these issues so any advices are highly appreciated.
Thank you.

No worrys it won't damage the soundcard but digital clipping even when masked with vst amp distortion could have an impact in tone.

You should buy an overdrive, it will compress the signal going to the soundcard and you'll get the sustain you need without hitting the red light. I'm really happy with this approach, benefits everything from tone to comfort of playing.

The pedal doesn't need to be expensive and doesn't need to have to much gain either. A tubescreamer, boss sd1 or similar priced stuff works great.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Anese
Jul 16 2015, 12:03 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 28 2015, 04:43 PM) *
No worrys it won't damage the soundcard but digital clipping even when masked with vst amp distortion could have an impact in tone.

You should buy an overdrive, it will compress the signal going to the soundcard and you'll get the sustain you need without hitting the red light. I'm really happy with this approach, benefits everything from tone to comfort of playing.

The pedal doesn't need to be expensive and doesn't need to have to much gain either. A tubescreamer, boss sd1 or similar priced stuff works great.

Thanks for your suggestion Metray, I'll try to find a decent tubescreamer and I'll let you know what happen

+Quote Post
Anese
Jul 26 2015, 10:25 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 28 2015, 04:43 PM) *

Hello Mertay
Thanks for your suggestion,
I tried to search the web for alternative solutions and the most common one was the use of a DI box.
What do you think about that ?
Thanks

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2015, 07:42 PM
Dipping in to the red is generally fine smile.gif You have to push it a bit to get software sims to sound good. One easy way around it is to use a hardware boost pedal (Ibanez Tube screamer or clone of such) after your guitar and before your input. It will allow you to drive your signal a bit harder before it goes in so you can use less level and stay out of the red smile.gif

You can use a lot of things to boost your signal a bit. I used to use a direct box with a 20db boost switch. Just something to make things a bit hotter before they reach the preamp smile.gif But a simple overdrive stomp can do the job and be more portable and probably cheaper and overall easier to deal with.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Anese @ Jun 28 2015, 04:30 AM) *
Hello everyone smile.gif
Thank you.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 27 2015, 07:43 PM

+Quote Post
Anese
Jul 29 2015, 11:52 AM
Learning Roadie
My knowlege to this tobic is very limited
so while searching the web i found the most cheaper and common solution was the (DI box)
unfortunately there are no music stores where I live to try different solutions and see which is best.
so I usually rely on online stores.

so for now I have two option

1- the ibanez screamer http://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-TS9-Tube-Scre...z+Tube+screamer

2 - the DI box http://www.amazon.com/Whirlwind-IMP2-IMP-2...keywords=di+box

so thinking about this money wise i guess the DI box will be my best option.

what do you think ?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 27 2015, 08:42 PM) *
Dipping in to the red is generally fine smile.gif You have to push it a bit to get software sims to sound good. One easy way around it is to use a hardware boost pedal (Ibanez Tube screamer or clone of such) after your guitar and before your input. It will allow you to drive your signal a bit harder before it goes in so you can use less level and stay out of the red smile.gif

You can use a lot of things to boost your signal a bit. I used to use a direct box with a 20db boost switch. Just something to make things a bit hotter before they reach the preamp smile.gif But a simple overdrive stomp can do the job and be more portable and probably cheaper and overall easier to deal with.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 30 2015, 06:41 PM
You can use any tube screamer clone and be just fine smile.gif You can get really cheap tube screamer clones on the net. For what you are talking about, I'd say get a clone/cheap tube screamer. It will give you far more options that the direct box you linked to. I didn't see any boost/cut of any kind on the DI box you mentioned.

Here is a used tube screamer mini for under $50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Tube-Scream...=item1a03567205

you can find just about anything on ebay smile.gif Used gear is often cheaper.

You can get a brand new behringer tube screamer clone even cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Behringer-Vintage-...%3D111725146629

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 30 2015, 06:44 PM

+Quote Post
Anese
Nov 25 2016, 07:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello GMCers

I was wondering if anybody here has experience with floating tremolo stabilizers
I got a new ibby with floating trem and during the last few Darius annotated to me in the REC room
that floating trems have and issue with double stop bends which can be fixed with tremolo stabilizers.
I've been searching the internet and youtube lately and i even saw steve vai in on of his videos showing that he uses
the (Ibanez backstop tremolo stabilizers) which unfortunately they dont make them anymore because of license problem as i read.

however during searching i come across a new tool called the (Goldo backbox) and it seems that everyone admire when it comes to tremolo stabilzing.
so have tried any of other tools before ? what was it ?
do you recommend any other tools rather than this Goldo thing ?
let me know what you think and if you have any advise.
Thanks

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 25 2016, 11:20 PM
Sadly I've never tried a trem stablizer. I've had guitar that were simply "blocked" so that the trem just didn't move. But I really hated it. What's the point of having a trem that doesn't move? If you want to block your trem, it seems like a hard tail axe would be a better idea it seems. I wish I could help more sad.gif

QUOTE (Anese @ Nov 25 2016, 02:08 PM) *
Hello GMCers

I was wondering if anybody here has experience with floating tremolo stabilizers
I got a new ibby with floating trem and during the last few Darius annotated to me in the REC room
that floating trems have and issue with double stop bends which can be fixed with tremolo stabilizers.
I've been searching the internet and youtube lately and i even saw steve vai in on of his videos showing that he uses
the (Ibanez backstop tremolo stabilizers) which unfortunately they dont make them anymore because of license problem as i read.

however during searching i come across a new tool called the (Goldo backbox) and it seems that everyone admire when it comes to tremolo stabilzing.
so have tried any of other tools before ? what was it ?
do you recommend any other tools rather than this Goldo thing ?
let me know what you think and if you have any advise.
Thanks

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 26 2016, 01:13 PM
Learning Roadie
Two suggestions are the Tremel-No which many people use, or place your palm on the bridge and apply slight pressure when doing double stop bends to hold the bridge in place

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Anese
Nov 26 2016, 01:27 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 26 2016, 12:20 AM) *
Sadly I've never tried a trem stablizer. I've had guitar that were simply "blocked" so that the trem just didn't move. But I really hated it. What's the point of having a trem that doesn't move? If you want to block your trem, it seems like a hard tail axe would be a better idea it seems. I wish I could help more sad.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Nov 26 2016, 02:13 PM) *
Two suggestions are the Tremel-No which many people use, or place your palm on the bridge and apply slight pressure when doing double stop bends to hold the bridge in place

Thanks for your suggestions guys

I think ill go with the (ESP Arming adjuster) it looks like it gets the job done and it's very easy to install.
I talked to this guy on youtube who use it on his Ibanez Jem and he said I should go for it since it fix all the bend
problems with the floating trem

I'll let you know how things go rolleyes.gif

Thanks

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 28 2016, 05:07 AM
Cool! Make a short vid to show us how it goes smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Anese @ Nov 26 2016, 08:27 AM) *
Thanks for your suggestions guys

I think ill go with the (ESP Arming adjuster) it looks like it gets the job done and it's very easy to install.
I talked to this guy on youtube who use it on his Ibanez Jem and he said I should go for it since it fix all the bend
problems with the floating trem

I'll let you know how things go rolleyes.gif

Thanks

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:13 PM