Most Efficient Way To Practice?
dark_dude
Aug 25 2009, 08:45 PM
GMC:er
Heya!

I have a few more weeks of nothing left before the university year starts again, and would like to make the most of it! I'm trying to make a practice plan, but not sure how much is too much and whatnot.

As it stands, I'm warming up for 5 min with some fretting hand stretches, legato and some picking for the right hand. Then I set my metronome to 80bpm, and start practicing Jose's 16th note exercises for alternate picking, pushing up the bpm when I'm comfortable. (Started yesterday at 80npm, today on 105)

However, am I better off dedicating all my time to practicing one technique? (In this case alt. picking up and down strings) Or should I get one exercise for legato, one for sweeping, one for tapping as well? Just want to raise my chops up efficiently.

Lastly, how much time should I devote to practicing? I'd go for as long as possible, but I have to let my wrists rest after they start hurting a bit.

Cheers man!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 25 2009, 09:54 PM
Instructor
Just take it easy and build your system as you do your sessions. Not all of your sessions should be always the same, this can get boring, so always make new ways to keep the sessions fresh and interesting.
When I start practicing something unknown I usually start with quarter notes at 60-80bpm. This leaves me enough time to place the fingers properly and enables me to achive better control over the tone. So starting slower might be a good idea. As always, just take it easy, see how it works for you.
When fingers/hands hurt - take a rest. This is the most important thing. You won't get anywhere with fatigue, so just take a small break, massage the fingers a bit, move them around slowly, and let them rest. Then continue.
Take a notebook and write down everything you practice, and write down bpm next to every practice. After a while analyze what you practiced, and see how you can improve that system.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
dark_dude
Aug 25 2009, 10:15 PM
GMC:er
Thanks Ivan smile.gif

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 1 2009, 01:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dark_dude @ Aug 25 2009, 09:45 PM) *
However, am I better off dedicating all my time to practicing one technique? (In this case alt. picking up and down strings) Or should I get one exercise for legato, one for sweeping, one for tapping as well? Just want to raise my chops up efficiently.

Lastly, how much time should I devote to practicing? I'd go for as long as possible, but I have to let my wrists rest after they start hurting a bit.

It depends of your mood and goals I guess,
sometimes you can spend whole day practicing just one technique
while you can have days when you work on several,
it shouldn't be that straight imo,
enjoy your practicing and focus on things that you feel most important atm,
sometimes it's just one, sometimes there are many.
As for timing, practice as much as you can (as you said)
but also take a break when you feel tired or som, no problem.

BTW, thank for input Ivan. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 1 2009, 01:57 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I have been practicing 2 medium level lessons about a solo and pinky exercises for more than 2 months now ? wow thats pretty long. smile.gif Still struggling at faster riffs.

Yep, I think you are on the right track. Definitely practicing slowly and hitting each note clearly should be the preference. And then once you get that right, just up the tempo (you will notice that speed just comes on its own smile.gif). But if it starts hurting, stop practicing otherwise you will ruin your fingers / wrist / hand. After few mins, you can again try it.

This post has been edited by maharzan: Sep 1 2009, 01:59 PM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:05 PM