> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Becker Made Easy, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Trigger76
Dec 31 2015, 03:45 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Becker Made Easy by Ben Higgins

New to the site, love this lesson, thanks Ben, will definitely work more on it. I've much work to do on my sweep picking and general play I guess ....Anyway I've learned the piece with what I'd call my natural playing style, i.e with all the bad habits haha ;-) but this lesson will def help, I'll work on the sweep, alternate picking and getting the pinky going :-) Anyway thanks again for the lesson it's great to build on.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 31 2015, 04:37 PM
Instructor
Hi and welcome to the site and welcome to the REC Zone. Obviously you picked a great lesson to start with (not baised, honest!) wink.gif

First off, you've got good note clarity and muting. In order for a solo to have impact the melody should come across clearly, especially if it's slow or medium tempo. The last thing you want is unwanted string noise / buzzes etc so you've got good control in this area. There was only one slight noise fluff a bit later but nothing to worry about.

I'd focus on two things here, both of which deal with the whammy bar.

1. When using it for vibrato, try to make it a bit slower and controlled. Less like Richie Blackmore! Becuase you've got a double locking trem you can dip down and pull back up so you should get an even vibrato effect that bends the pitch both ways

2. Try to implement those wailing baby movements with the whammy bar. It just requires you to gently pull up on the bar just as you pull off to another note. Warning: it can be addictive once you get it

Good work, I hope to see more! Happy new year!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 31 2015, 04:59 PM
Instructor
Hi Trigger! Welcome to the site and congrats on your first REC take!

If I compare this take with the original, the unique two thing to improve if you want to get the most of the lesson is what Ben said. The most important differences are the way you manage bending and the way you use the whammy bar. This two elements give the original lesson an extra vibe that makes it sound more interesting and more connected with Becker style. I even think that these tricks make the phrasing sound more modern so it's a cool idea to put some attention to it.

Besides this, I think that there is some room to adjust your timing, mostly when you play the slower parts. (at the beginning and the end of the lesson). You tend to play a bit after the beat. It's a small details but deserves some attention.

Ok mate, I hope that this is the first of many REC takes! See you at the forum!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jan 4 2016, 04:56 PM
Instructor
Hey there!
First of all - it's a very good take overall. Like Ben mentioned - you've got some descent skills on playing clean, without unwanted noises. Phrases are solid and clean. I have no additional compalins on you playing other than both guys pointed - it's mainly about your vibrato and whammy bar performance. I could only add that you should give a confident and fast release of whammy bar every time you finish vibrating the strings. This way it's more effecient for tremolo system to go back to proper tuning.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 8 2016, 06:58 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:50 PM