2 Pages V   1 2 >  
First Year Completed At Gmc University, Sharing my experience
maharzan
May 4 2010, 06:52 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hey Guys,

I wanted to post this earlier but was just able to do this today. Its been 1 year that I signed up for GMC and what a journey has it been.

I will begin from when I started playing guitar.

I never got formal training in guitar. I learnt from seniors while in school in 1993 to be precise. I learnt the basic chords and could strum these chords within 1 month and play songs as well. I still just know the basic chords. wink.gif Well, songs in our language never has complex (7th, 9ths, add9, b5 whatever they call it) so I always got stuck on the basic chords. Anyway, I learnt to play some lead lines then and was one of the 'heroes' back in school. I used to compose as well and I know at least one girl was after me.. YEAH!!! That was what guitar playing was like back then.

Anyway, I gradually developed some lead playing skills during next 3-4 years and I could play Hotel California (acoustic) lead. I thought that was it. smile.gif I only owned an old indian acoustic guitar and I was limited to basic chords and some lead lines. I never tried cover mainly because I thought playing covers will influence my composition skills and I won't be able to compose. LoL, I know. Also, I didn't have an electric guitar so I couldn't play lead lines beyond 12 fret. Everytime I tried to play some lead lines, there were some fast licks that I couldn't do. I sat back from playing further or pushing myself and thinking that is what I can play and nothing else for next 15-16 years. I had a 'dead' band and never performed live (except for first 2 years).

I bought by first guitar in 2003 after finishing college and started earning myself. I starved for 6 months to get this guitar (JEM that I play currently). But then it took another 6 years to get an amp. biggrin.gif So, For almost 2 years, my JEM rested in the case. I played very few times but without any amp, how could I play? I used to plug it into my PC directly (Audio In I think) and then tried few free plugins or hacked softwares but it lacked anything. Later I bought a DigiTech GNX4 from which I recorded my first album. It was more of composition than practice back then.

In 2009, I tried few songs that I always wanted to do. I love Satriani. So, tried playing easy ones Always with me and Crying. Oh man I sucked bad. I was trying to do these songs since 10 years I guess but never could do fast portions and I tried anyhow and these were supposed to be simple songs than any other from Satch (except dynamics smile.gif).

So, I was searching all over the internet for some good guitar lessons and I came across GMC. I saw there were very good lessons and MTP was running as well. I thought this was good and I was more convinced by now that I needed a mentor to learn skills, techniques and improve my guitar playing. I made a good choice.

I joined GMC in May 2, 2009 and I was searching over lessons. Muris's lesson convinced me the most since the beginning. His fingering, style, tone, I was just glued. And he was running MTP (which I missed) but was eager to wait and learn. In the meantime, I started out practicing few lessons. REC was already there so, I thought I would try from simplest lessons. I picked up few level 3 lessons but wow.. they are virtually undoable. My bad playing really came out. No vibrato, can't bend, can't play fast.. damn, I took like 1000s of takes to do one good take. Even level 2 lessons were pretty hard. I used to think, man I have been playing for 16 years and then I am just a level 1 guy? Damn people can play super fast at age 17. I am 30! It was kind of frustrating.

But then, I had a will. I really wanted to spend 1 year but fully focus on guitar and train myself well. So, all the time I practiced, I kept pushing myself further. I could do level 3-4 lessons after few months. Then, came MTP. I was lucky I got a chance to MTP with Muris. This was one turning point for me. My main goal here was to be able to play fast. I think I had like 110 bpm limit (16th notes). Muris gave me 120bpm assignments and it was hell of a time. Once I could do 120bpm, he gave me 130bpm. It was nightmare. My arms ached, fingers got raped, sore finger tips, both arms hurt but I never gave up. The pain was a beautiful thing. I practiced till it pained and then when I came back next day, it was easier. Finally I could play 130bpm easily. Then I tried level 5-6 lessons. The MTP ran for 2 months and I wish I would have completed it but it didn't work out since Muris had to go to his pre-scheduled world tour. Nevertheless, the time spent was the best.

I practiced more lessons always pushing myself. I tried level 7 lesson but it wasn't good although my only concern was to play something impossible to I can play something that is relatively easy. I could easily do level 6 lessons. smile.gif I had 1 more MTP with Emir but this mainly focused on theory. I learnt different modes of Major / Minor scales (which I didnt know before) and I also learnt the CAGED method and Arpeggios. This has been very helpful for my improvisation / composition.

Again, for REC takes, I kept trying harder lessons. Few weeks back, I was really focusing myself to try a lesson with 170bpm which was impossible for me. Once again I experienced the same pain. I just kept practicing and realizing that my goal was only to do now or never do it. So, that kept motivating me even when I wanted to give up and thought okay I can't go past that. It helped me immensely. I can do 130bpm (16th notes) now which I guess calculated to 170 -175 bpm (16th notes).

So, about a month ago, I jumped myself and thought I would try a level 9 lesson. I had picked a few and thought I would start with an easy one (which wasn't eventually). Anyway, I have been practicing this lesson for a month or so and here it is now. I do have few issues with it but the best thing about this is that I now have the confidence to play level 8-9 lessons.

I keep recalling now that a year ago, I hardly could do level 3 lessons and now after a year long practice I can do level 9 lesson. What a year has it been. Its very hard to keep up as you can easily get frustrated and its hard to get motivated but I am feeling myself that nothing is impossible now. I was 'dead' 1 year ago thinking I could never play well or fast and now, its all gone. All I needed I guess was someone to push me from behind.

Thank you GMC. Thank you all the instructors who has inspired/ motivated (via answers or lessons) and Thank you all GMC members who kept encouraging me with practicing more guitar. Thank you all. It wouldn't have been possible without you.

With that said, I would like to share some videos I had during this 1 year period.

Here are the REC takes.

Here is what I tried today - a level 9 lesson. smile.gif

and if you wish, you can visit my YouTube Channel which has collections from very beginning. Once I had the recording gears. smile.gif

Thanks again for reading. smile.gif

Cheers!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
May 4 2010, 07:50 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Good job smile.gif

Wish I could motivate myself, I've been stuck for ages..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 4 2010, 10:21 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thank you Skewlbuzz. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 4 2010, 10:56 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great story man, this was fun to read! You have made a impressive progress and it only proves what you can do with some motivation and proper guidance.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 4 2010, 11:01 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks Bogdan. Yep, only few can make it without mentors but I am one of the rest who needs them. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
May 4 2010, 03:25 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Really cool post Maharzan smile.gif

You've certainly improved your playing over time, makes me wish to join MTP somewhere down the line with the same goal as you, increase my speed!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
relaxenjoy
May 4 2010, 03:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
This thread rocks!

I was thinking over the last couple days after I have been practicing quite hard over the last month since rejoining, "Man, I still suck! I'm not very good at bending, don't even think about vibrato, AND you're slow!"

But now I feel better after reading your journey and my negative frustration has turned into positive frustration that makes me want to get better again.

I hope after my first year I am able to post a thread like this!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dennizzz119
May 4 2010, 03:54 PM
GMC:er
Wow, Your inspiring!
I just cant motivate myself to practise or even pick up a guitar at the moment.
I dont know why..

--------------------

Skill level 5/10

Equipment:

- Fender Highway one Upgrade Telecaster
- Ibanez JEM555 Vai Signature
- Noname acoustic :P

- Marshall JCM2000
- Stagg crappy 10w

Savings for a Gibson SG '61 Reissue:
120€ / 1400

If You don't believe in it, You'll never achieve it,

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
May 4 2010, 04:05 PM
Learning Roadie
awsome mate wish that I have a story like yours to tell in 5 - October 2010 ..

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: May 4 2010, 04:05 PM

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 4 2010, 04:10 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thanks all. smile.gif Hopefully, my journey helps you with some motivation. As always and probably your have heard it million times..

Just hang in there brother..

or even,

if you try, you can reach there, if you don't, you never will. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dennizzz119
May 4 2010, 04:16 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (maharzan @ May 4 2010, 03:10 PM) *
Thanks all. smile.gif Hopefully, my journey helps you with some motivation. As always and probably your have heard it million times..

Just hang in there brother..

or even,

if you try, you can reach there, if you don't, you never will. smile.gif

I Just got the feeling that i aint learning anymore, I Dont know what i want to learn and go on

--------------------

Skill level 5/10

Equipment:

- Fender Highway one Upgrade Telecaster
- Ibanez JEM555 Vai Signature
- Noname acoustic :P

- Marshall JCM2000
- Stagg crappy 10w

Savings for a Gibson SG '61 Reissue:
120€ / 1400

If You don't believe in it, You'll never achieve it,

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
May 4 2010, 04:31 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Very inspiring thread indeed.
Thanks Maharzan and congratulations for your progress ! They've been impressive.

I joined GMC a few days before you and I share with you the same feeling about the fast progression GMC allowed me to make even though I still can't play level 5 lessons.

But not everyone share the same goals. wink.gif

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 4 2010, 04:39 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Awesome post Maharzan!!! My story is kind of similar to yours. I found GMC about 2 years ago and have been on a mission to REALLY improve my playing. I didn't even know all 5 pentatonic boxes a year ago. Now I feel I have a pretty good handle on the fingerboard knowledge as far as knowing my scales and arpeggios and theory. You are a great example of what hard work and determination can accomplish. GMC is great.....I've met some AWESOME people on this website......\m/\m/

+Quote Post
purple hayes
May 4 2010, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Awesome, maharzan! Did you have a practice schedule for the past year? How many hrs. a day did you practice?

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 4 2010, 08:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
Maharzan, your story is a great inspiration for me. Thanks for sharing it. Your video kicks arse btw. Great playing. cool.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Fre
May 4 2010, 08:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Really great story Maharzan!
It inspired me a lot.
I joined not so long ago and I hope to have the same satisfying feeling after my first year!

+Quote Post
lcsdds
May 4 2010, 08:45 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Just watched your level 9 take.....good work. You have really improved A LOT this last year......\m/\m/ You should be proud of yourself. smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 4 2010, 10:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
nice post
Great playing
I started two years ago about at the same level you were at and am still around 7's
Congrats

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 5 2010, 04:23 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Thank you all again. Your feedback has been really encouraging. I still have lot to accomplish and this helps me to try even harder now. smile.gif

QUOTE (purple hayes @ May 4 2010, 08:06 PM) *
Did you have a practice schedule for the past year? How many hrs. a day did you practice?

Purple Hayes, I didn't have strict practice schedule. I work from home so somedays I have the guitar on my lap from the morning till the night even while I am working. I take a break now and then. On average, I guess it would come around 4 hours a day. Sometimes 2, sometimes 6 etc. The main thing is that I am always practicing the same lick over and over again.. nothing else. So, if I am learning one lesson, I am just doing that entire 2 weeks until I nail it. I slow it down and analyze where i am doing wrong. There are many times when practicing 1 lick alone is flawless but somehow while practicing the whole lesson, it gets screwed up. So, I spent all day trying to furnish that. This way, it comes to you faster, so its just not about practicing. Its about practicing properly I guess. For the last lesson as it really above my level when I started, I tried it for 3 weeks I guess but was tired and it wasn't coming to me (the whole lesson). Then, I moved to another lesson which helped me with some picking. Then, after 2 weeks, I came back and did this lesson for another 2 weeks. Finally, I could feel the fingers moving. I guess, after few more weeks of practicing, I will be able do it right and clean - 100%. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
May 5 2010, 10:28 AM
Jazz Instructor
Nice to hear that! Nothing can compare to that feeling when you look back and see where once you were, and where are you now. smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:08 PM