> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Zaek's Time Machine
Zaek
Jun 24 2013, 05:01 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 24 2013, 11:53 AM) *
How about if I make a movie for you - I will explain things easier, rather than writing them wink.gif

Oh, sure :-)
What I'd normally do is to rest the palm of the right hand slightly on the strings above the one(s) I'm playing, and the other hand to mute the ones under what I'm playing. (I have no idea why I do this, I just noticed) But now my hand is ..on the bridge. tongue.gif

oh, and picked myself up an Ibanez 1570z today, so, there is no going back from this now. I have to develop skills to match the guitar. ohmy.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Zaek: Jun 24 2013, 05:06 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 25 2013, 09:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Zaek @ Jun 24 2013, 04:01 PM) *
Oh, sure :-)
What I'd normally do is to rest the palm of the right hand slightly on the strings above the one(s) I'm playing, and the other hand to mute the ones under what I'm playing. (I have no idea why I do this, I just noticed) But now my hand is ..on the bridge. tongue.gif

oh, and picked myself up an Ibanez 1570z today, so, there is no going back from this now. I have to develop skills to match the guitar. ohmy.gif

hehe congrats for the new guitar man!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Zaek
Jun 26 2013, 09:03 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 25 2013, 08:32 PM) *
hehe congrats for the new guitar man!

Thanks! - But ..how do you do this thumb muting? - The only way I seem to be able to do it is by resting the thumb on the strings, and that just completely breaks my picking. (Angle is very bizzare.)

Or by touching the strings (D,A,E) with the thumb on the upstrokes.

I should probably mention that I'm trying to do this with very much gain, and distortion, to make sure that the sound from the other strings are actually muted.

EDIT: Do you keep a rigid thumb?
EDIT2: This makes my thumb feel numb, along with my mind, not really sure of what to practice tbh. - And what is wrong with muting with the palm? tongue.gif

-- Zaek

This post has been edited by Zaek: Jun 26 2013, 10:16 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 27 2013, 07:24 AM
Instructor
Hey man smile.gif I am lightly touching the strings with my thumb - I don't press the thumb against them and I never use too much gain you know. The thumb moves when I pick, alongside my whole hand, but still, it touches the E, A and D strings so that it mutes them.

My advice - don't use too much gain smile.gif Learn to play with less gain and you will develop a great dynamic control with both hands, which will stay with you for all eternity.

Let me know if all is clear and also, try to record at super slow tempo using these techniques - you can also mute with the palm if you think you can have better control like that. Nothing wrong with that - to be honest for me it can come down to a combination, of palm and thumb sometimes. I think that experimenting will get you to a good result - these are just pointers to what you should have in mind and what you can use to get to the desired result wink.gif

+Quote Post
Zaek
Jul 1 2013, 02:02 PM
Hey man, i Just wanted to let you know that i think Im starting to get the hang of how to practice with a metronome, was finally alle to clap 8th and 16th notes at 50bpm,might not mean much, but it felt good to just get something in time :-)

Currently Still at work, so will have to try to apply this to the guitar later, but thanks so far!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 2 2013, 07:24 AM
Instructor
Mate, as long as you are able to understand a principle, speed and dexterity are the outcome of correct, constant and dedicated practice smile.gif Don't worry, ok? Just practice and show me what you've got biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Zaek
Jul 19 2013, 01:46 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 2 2013, 06:24 AM) *
Mate, as long as you are able to understand a principle, speed and dexterity are the outcome of correct, constant and dedicated practice smile.gif Don't worry, ok? Just practice and show me what you've got biggrin.gif

Yeah, but before I was not able to clap them at all. tongue.gif - So that was kind of a tiny achievement for me, and I just wanted to share my happiness :-)

Well, here's the most recent results.

The timing will probably be off as when I had the backing track on, my hands just played 8th notes, because that's what I've practiced most with the backing track on that lesson. tongue.gif (And If I hear that backing track one more time I will most likely kick a chair.)

But then again, I have a much better understanding of what timing is now, than I did before we started this!

So, thanks!

Hm, side question (With a video!!)

I've been practicing this part of a solo for about ..7 months now, every day. - And well, it didn't feel like I had any progression at all, so I looked at a video I made 5 months ago, and well, there was some improvement! - I don't pick the sweep-parts anymore \o/

Anyway, the second part of the video (where the slow sweeps are taking place.) is there anything that makes you want to scream? - In terms of something that should be done differently, or is just plain wrong? Or do you think I should just keep practicing?
That is not how I practice it by the way. It was just to get an estimate of what I can do with that technique.

This post has been edited by Zaek: Jul 19 2013, 02:48 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 20 2013, 05:06 PM
Instructor
Hey mate!

First video:

It is very good that you have become conscious of the changes occurring from one rhythmic subdivision to another i.e 8ths to 16th notes - so now, I would be the happiest chap in the world if you would record the full lesson against the backing track playing everything in great timing and with clean picking. Make this happen and you will get rid of this lesson, trust me wink.gif

Second video:

Your sweeping technique looks clean and sounds accurate - you got the correct motion in the second part of the video, so now it's a matter of practicing against a metronome and implementing what you have created in a rhythmic/musical context at the speed you desire.

Mate-do not shun the metronome, it will not save you any time - if you practice into thin air, without any rhythm you will not progress. Rhythm and timing are the mother and father of all music from the dawn of ages.

Timing is everywhere, even if you want to or not smile.gif So keeping these in mind, let's see that lesson recorded so that we can move on, aye?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Zaek
Jul 22 2013, 07:47 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 20 2013, 04:06 PM) *
Hey mate!

First video:

It is very good that you have become conscious of the changes occurring from one rhythmic subdivision to another i.e 8ths to 16th notes - so now, I would be the happiest chap in the world if you would record the full lesson against the backing track playing everything in great timing and with clean picking. Make this happen and you will get rid of this lesson, trust me wink.gif

Second video:

Your sweeping technique looks clean and sounds accurate - you got the correct motion in the second part of the video, so now it's a matter of practicing against a metronome and implementing what you have created in a rhythmic/musical context at the speed you desire.

Mate-do not shun the metronome, it will not save you any time - if you practice into thin air, without any rhythm you will not progress. Rhythm and timing are the mother and father of all music from the dawn of ages.

Timing is everywhere, even if you want to or not smile.gif So keeping these in mind, let's see that lesson recorded so that we can move on, aye?

Cosmin

Been trying to record the last part of the lesson for a few hours now, can't play it at Ben's speed.

So, in the meantime, this video sums up whats going on right now

But I'll get there soon enough

This post has been edited by Zaek: Jul 22 2013, 07:48 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 23 2013, 11:13 AM
Instructor
laugh.gif I knew this one biggrin.gif

Mate, listen, don't hurry to record at Ben's speed - try to record the whole lesson against the track at 75% speed and focus on playing tight and clean and with great timing. I think you will be far better and satisfied with monitoring your progress and getting a finished take, by following this procedure. After having this one done, add 80% and try another take and so on, deal?

+Quote Post
Zaek
Aug 2 2013, 03:55 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 23 2013, 10:13 AM) *
laugh.gif I knew this one biggrin.gif

Mate, listen, don't hurry to record at Ben's speed - try to record the whole lesson against the track at 75% speed and focus on playing tight and clean and with great timing. I think you will be far better and satisfied with monitoring your progress and getting a finished take, by following this procedure. After having this one done, add 80% and try another take and so on, deal?

Hello! My thumb seem to be able to hold the pick again, or I've developed a way to hold the pick regardless of the burnt/weird skin. Anyway, I've been practicing a bit more on the picking.

And yeah, I just went with 100% speed, I've practiced everything at this speed so it's very awkward to try to slow it down.

Spoiler:
If I'm still very far away from the goal, I think I'll have to find another alternate picking lesson to try, that at least has a hint of melody / music in it. It might be harder, but I'm fairly sure it'll be more enjoyable. Even though I understand the idea behind this lesson, it gets very boring when you've tried to play it over 100 times.
*shrugs*

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 3 2013, 10:01 AM
Instructor
Hey buddy smile.gif I know it's a bit linear, but still - after having the problem that you have, I can spot inconsistencies in your picking and even if I will give you a whole new lesson to deal with, I would like to see a whole A to Z full speed, clean and as close to perfection as possible, take of this lesson here. You tend to have a problem with recording things from one end to another - this can develop into a very bad habit later on - starting and not finishing things, for instance.

I don't want to torture you, I just want to help you build healthy technique and good habits as a player smile.gif

How about this one? -> https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...cking_beginner/

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 3 2013, 10:02 AM

+Quote Post
Zaek
Aug 4 2013, 07:10 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 3 2013, 09:01 AM) *
Hey buddy smile.gif I know it's a bit linear, but still - after having the problem that you have, I can spot inconsistencies in your picking and even if I will give you a whole new lesson to deal with, I would like to see a whole A to Z full speed, clean and as close to perfection as possible, take of this lesson here. You tend to have a problem with recording things from one end to another - this can develop into a very bad habit later on - starting and not finishing things, for instance.

I don't want to torture you, I just want to help you build healthy technique and good habits as a player smile.gif

How about this one? -> https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato...cking_beginner/

Hey man, yeah, I'm still working on the lesson!

About the torture thing, no, of course not, I just get a bit frustrated at times, but tends to pass after a few hours (sometimes minutes) and then I practice some more. tongue.gif

Anyway, I'll get right on perfecting this thing, so we can finally move on!

Oh, and the legato looks fun. :-)

And as always, thanks for your time :-)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 5 2013, 11:22 AM
Instructor
Hehe, good to know that we are on the yellow brick road here smile.gif

Post as often as you can and I'll be here to assist - do you like the lesson I suggested?

+Quote Post
Zaek
Aug 5 2013, 09:22 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 5 2013, 10:22 AM) *
Hehe, good to know that we are on the yellow brick road here smile.gif

Post as often as you can and I'll be here to assist - do you like the lesson I suggested?

Hey, the lesson you suggested looks nice. I'll look more into it after we're done with the current lesson though. smile.gif

Anyway, here is today's video of picking!
As you will see, this is the first time I actually recorded this in one take, and this is the first time I actually felt like I was getting close to what was going on when Ben plays. :-)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 6 2013, 08:56 AM
Instructor
Hey matey smile.gif It's great that you put things together in one shot! Now, what I notice is that you are rushing a bit as an overall observation and you can especially notice that at around 0:54 - you tend to become more balanced after 2-3 cycles of that part, but still you should focus on getting the whole take in the proper balance without rushing. What say you, my friend?

+Quote Post
Zaek
Aug 6 2013, 04:58 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 6 2013, 07:56 AM) *
Hey matey smile.gif It's great that you put things together in one shot! Now, what I notice is that you are rushing a bit as an overall observation and you can especially notice that at around 0:54 - you tend to become more balanced after 2-3 cycles of that part, but still you should focus on getting the whole take in the proper balance without rushing. What say you, my friend?

Well aren't you just a perfectionist? (Just kidding! laugh.gif )

Hm, yeah, I noticed the rushed parts as well actually.

I've gone over it very many times now and well, I feel like it's not that hard anymore, but when I look at the video, it's still not flawless, from looking at the video, it looks like I just fade out, and stop focusing every other second or something. tongue.gif
Hm, I also again want to say that I play it better when there damned camera isn't there. dry.gif

I just realised I've done nothing but play guitar for the past 3 days now. ohmy.gif (time off work is great!)

I'm not sure if there is anything new in this video, maybe the transition from triplets to 8th and 16th notes is slightly better.
Here is today's hopefully improved take!

Thanks for your time! :-)

Oh, and even though there are probably things I should get better at before even thinking at sweeping properly, I've been trying to play 16th note triplets (Sextuplet?) at 50 bpm, counting 1,2,3,4,5,6. Would this be the right way to it with a metronome?
I'm having a slightly hard time keeping the fingers are that time, they just play faster, and if I turn there speed on the metronome up, I can't really.. follow the counts. - Any input on this?

Edit: ..Is there any reason I shouldn't just play quarter notes when learning to sweep? - That makes everything a lot easier, I'd suppose.

-- Zaek

This post has been edited by Zaek: Aug 6 2013, 08:08 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 7 2013, 09:15 AM
Instructor
Hey there my friend smile.gif Theoretically, it is correct although I still feel it is a bit a teeny tiny bit ahead of the beat smile.gif It will all come in time, so don't worry, now I think it is better to focus on the new lesson and play this one once in a while - maybe come up with a new recording next month and then we can compare the results?

In the mean time, I would like to make a video for you regarding your last question, so stay tuned smile.gif

Hey buddy, here we go:

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 7 2013, 11:05 AM

+Quote Post
Zaek
Aug 9 2013, 05:42 AM
Hiya mate
I shall get back to the lessons as soon as I have time, and yeah, it looks quite good!

Oh, and about the video, I'll be watching it when I can concentrate slightly better. :- ))

This post has been edited by Zaek: Aug 10 2013, 10:44 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 9 2013, 07:35 AM
Instructor
Hey man smile.gif There's nothing wrong with having a couple of beers with your dad and working on a project together - just watch out for nails and hammer and fingers biggrin.gif Ok?

Determination and success are two things which can be bred, with the right mindset smile.gif Take some time to watch the vid while having fresh ears and mind and let me know what your thoughts are, deal?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:24 PM