May 31 2012, 06:15 PM
GMC:er
other answers on last post

1. F A C

4. dont quote that, there are 4 octaves on the guitar, wink.gif

well the open high E is the same as my low E 24th fret

there are 4 sharps in the E Major scale wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bas Cuthach: May 31 2012, 06:48 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 1 2012, 05:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bas Cuthach @ May 31 2012, 05:15 PM) *
other answers on last post

1. F A C

4. dont quote that, there are 4 octaves on the guitar, wink.gif

well the open high E is the same as my low E 24th fret

there are 4 sharps in the E Major scale wink.gif

Good job! You got everything right!
I would like to start with a circle of fifths! I know you are probably know it, but I would like to refresh it so we won't have any troubles in the future! I will also explain you numbers, it will make it easier for you to transpose to any key and you will get a better idea of notes relations!
Here it is!
Attached Image
This is how you will add sharps and flats to your scales! It call circle of fifths because it goes up in fifths!
We are adding sharps (#) C - G - D - A - E - B - F#
Going down forth adding flats:F - Bb - Eb - Ab - Db - Gb
Here are all the sharps:
F# - C# - G# - D# -A#

Here are all the flats:
Bb - Eb - Ab - Db - Gb - Cb

So if for example we have a D major scale we will have 2 sharps F# and C# Every time a new scale comes up we will be adding one sharp or flat!

Now let me explain the numbers! It's very simple

Each note of the scale will have a number it will make it easier to memorize all the scales/chords and will be able to transpose it to any key!
As an example I will use C major scale

C - I
D - II
E - III
F - IV
G - V
A - VI
B - VII

Let me know when you will go through it so I can give you a melodic assignment based on the circle of fifth!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Jun 2 2012, 01:49 AM
here is a video I found, Is been a while since I watched it

the wheel of fifths

1 2 3 4 5
C D E F G A B C
______ 1 2 3 4 5
______ G A B C D E F# G
_____________ 1 2 3 4 5
_____________ D E F# G A B C# D

and so on

the note on the inner part of the circle of fifths is the relative minor

a saying to help me remember part of the wheel is "Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battles"

the modes are - Ionian Dorian Phrygian Lydian Mixolydian Aeolian Locrain

What I play

and

the major scale is built - tone - tone - semi tone - tone - tone - tone - semi tone

Here is my take On the G Major Scale and Dorian Mode

I tell you all this to give an idea of what I know, to better help you understand what I know, if you know what I know then you can help me learn what I dont know and correct me when Im wrong and help me understand why, this is most of what i know about theory

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 2 2012, 07:43 PM
Instructor
Wow! Thank you for making it clear for me! You know a lot and it's very good I will keep explaining you new things as we go along!! I think we can start getting into improvisation a little bit more! I think blues would be a good start!
Here is cool blues track in E
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/blues-mentoring
It is a standard I - IV - V progression
so the chords are:
E7 - A7 - B7 - A7
For the first exercise we will do that!
Over E7 Play E minor pentatonic in any position you want
Over A7 I would like you to play A mixolydian in this position

Over B7
B minor blues pentatonic in this position

In a few days we will start a new mentoring approach it will be like a collab but just you and me!
For now I would like you to come up with a first 8 solo bars using backing track and scales I have provided!
Please mix your solo in the track and leave the rest without cutting it so we can start adding parts back and forth!
Let me know if you have any questions or need help!

This post has been edited by Alex Feather: Jun 2 2012, 08:57 PM

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Jun 2 2012, 08:37 PM
Sounds Good all thought sound cloud seems to have a problem sad.gif
I will start playing with the scales to get a better feel for them and also
if you could write the chords out so I can learn them smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bas Cuthach: Jun 2 2012, 08:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 2 2012, 08:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bas Cuthach @ Jun 2 2012, 07:37 PM) *
Sounds Good all thought sound cloud seems to have a problem sad.gif
I will start playing with the scales to get a better feel for them and also
if you could write the chords out so I can learn them smile.gif

I think it is working now smile.gif
Here are the chords:
E7

A7

B7

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Jun 6 2012, 06:23 PM
I know not blues licks so I get video and give you my best, give me few days smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 6 2012, 06:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bas Cuthach @ Jun 6 2012, 05:23 PM) *
I know not blues licks so I get video and give you my best, give me few days smile.gif

It's ok! That is why I am here! smile.gif I will help you out and will give you a lot of new and fun licks to learn and practice! Looking forward to hear your take!

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Jun 7 2012, 06:14 PM
Here is what Im working with

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 8 2012, 05:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bas Cuthach @ Jun 7 2012, 05:14 PM) *
Here is what Im working with

Wow you are doing a great job! I like it a lot I think it's time to take it up a notch! We will start a new way of mentoring tomorrow! It will be like a collab but one on one only you and me! I will record some solos to give you ideas and you will continue with the flow! It will be really fun! I will post my take tomorrow morning! smile.gif You are making a very big progress since I have seen you play last time I can tell that you are practicing and doing it the correct way! Keep it up!

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Jun 8 2012, 08:00 PM
Here is what Im working on

b=Flat

F - b
C -
G - F#
D - F# C#
A - F# C# G#
E - F# C# G# D#
B - F# C# G# D# A#
F# - F# C# G# D# A# E#
C# - F# C# G# D# A# E# B#

Bb - Bb Eb
Eb - Bb Eb Ab
Ab - Bb Eb Ab Db
Db - Bb Eb Ab Db Gb
Gb - Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Cb
Cb - Bb Eb Ab Db Gb Cb Fb

I think I have this right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Jun 10 2012, 03:17 AM
when ever your ready to carry on

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 10 2012, 06:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bas Cuthach @ Jun 10 2012, 02:17 AM) *
when ever your ready to carry on

So that means you are ready for the next assignment?smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Jun 10 2012, 09:34 PM
Yes my friend, that means I am ready for the next lesson smile.gif or the next thing your ready to teach me

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 11 2012, 07:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bas Cuthach @ Jun 10 2012, 08:34 PM) *
Yes my friend, that means I am ready for the next lesson smile.gif or the next thing your ready to teach me

Awesome! So here is my take and a new assignment!
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/bascuthach

I did the first part to give you ideas and would like you to continue my solo using those scales:

Over E7 chord
E minor pentatonic in this position

Over A7
A minor pentatonic in this position

Over B7
B minor pentatonic in this position

Try to be as melodic as possible! This is a good exercise that will help you to start mixing pentatonics and play over the changes!

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Jun 14 2012, 06:32 AM
can you tab out what you played so I can learn it and then build off that? also if you put it in a .gp5 file only, that would work for me, you dont have to tab it out in the forum smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 15 2012, 08:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bas Cuthach @ Jun 14 2012, 05:32 AM) *
can you tab out what you played so I can learn it and then build off that? also if you put it in a .gp5 file only, that would work for me, you dont have to tab it out in the forum smile.gif

To tab it would be very difficult because I am jamming and will have to transcribe the whole solo! I am using the same scales and the idea of this type of mentoring to guide you and help you to find your own style of playing!!
You are doing very well and this exercises will help you a lot and you will get progress very very fast!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 22 2012, 07:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bas Cuthach @ Jun 14 2012, 05:32 AM) *

Hi I just wanted to follow up and see if you are ready for a new assignment!
You have also asked me about Egyptian scales Are you still interested in those?

+Quote Post
Bas Cuthach
Jun 22 2012, 05:31 PM
sorry, its been a busy few weeks with lots of new things happening, things might start getting back on track soon, I do want to learn Egyptian scales, I was wondering if you could give me some licks to play for that last assignment, By the way I Like the name change smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 24 2012, 07:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bas Cuthach @ Jun 22 2012, 04:31 PM) *
sorry, its been a busy few weeks with lots of new things happening, things might start getting back on track soon, I do want to learn Egyptian scales, I was wondering if you could give me some licks to play for that last assignment, By the way I Like the name change smile.gif

Ok I will prepare a few licks for you in a couple of hours!
What do you mean name change?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:09 PM