> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Beginner's Corner 21: String Bending, Lesson By Bear Rose
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Tom51
Dec 29 2014, 09:49 AM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Beginner's Corner 21: String Bending by Bear Rose

Last and most challanging lesson Gabriel gave me. First of all I was trying to bend to the right note...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 29 2014, 12:41 PM
Instructor
Hey, you did pretty well on hitting the right pitch on many of those bends.

As far as the bending technique itself goes, I wouldn't personally put anyone on lead guitar techniques like string bending until they've got a good foundation in rhythm guitar but that's just me. I just think it's too much too early.

But I could be wrong, just because I didn't do it that way doesn't mean somebody else shouldn't. One thing I would suggest is to approach the G string bends by bending them upwards as well.

When you find yourself playing faster licks there may be occasions where you might bend the G downwards, especially if it's a very quick bend, but for the slower, medium paced bends I would recommend that you use upward bending for it, just like you would with the B and high E strings. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 29 2014, 01:35 PM
Instructor
As opposite to Ben I would not refer to the bend direction on G string, since I see that You simply do it the way, that was done by Bear in his original lesson. In fact Ben has spotted some further issues to rethink about how to treat the G string when bending. I think it's a good start but still a lot of work to achieve proper strength in Your left hand. I do not see any obvious mistakes in hand position for example but fo sure there is a lot more practicing to be done - something natural at this point of learning how to play smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 30 2014, 08:50 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif

Aside what ben and Darius mentioned - I can notice there are some pitches which you can almost reach but you lack the necessary strength in your left hand to sustain and control the bends. One very important aspect which you shouldn't miss, is the fact that your thumb should go over the neck when bending so that your wrist will have the proper support. Don't lift it when bending, but actually squeeze the hand together - push or pull with the wrist and squeeze with the thumb - hope that made sense smile.gif

All the best,

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 31 2014, 05:31 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 5.3

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:39 AM