Wanting To Try Out New Gear, But Don't Know What To Play
El Marto
May 28 2011, 03:31 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

As the title might suggest, this topic is about trying out new gear. But, as soon as I hold the new guitar, or as soon as I am plugged in to the amp, ..., I forget everything I've ever learned playing on guitar. And I stand there, staring like it's the first time ever I hold a guitar. But that's not good. Especially if you want to know if the gear sounds alright.

Do anyone of you guys have had this problem?
What do you play when you go out to a music shop to try some new gear?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
quadrium
May 28 2011, 04:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (El Marto @ May 28 2011, 02:31 PM) *
Hi,

As the title might suggest, this topic is about trying out new gear. But, as soon as I hold the new guitar, or as soon as I am plugged in to the amp, ..., I forget everything I've ever learned playing on guitar. And I stand there, staring like it's the first time ever I hold a guitar. But that's not good. Especially if you want to know if the gear sounds alright.

Do anyone of you guys have had this problem?
What do you play when you go out to a music shop to try some new gear?

I have exact same problem smile.gif For fisrt 5 mins i am playing some scale runs i know kinda warm-up for me smile.gif Then i play some riffs of the famous songs (from Metallica, AC/DC etc.) for some time. Then i realize that i warmed up enough and i dig into some killer solo's. And finally some improvising smile.gif Thats what i do all the time smile.gif

Dogukan,

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 28 2011, 05:28 PM
Instructor
Try to play the best way you can, and don't worry. You're not there for playing a concert, you test the gear. Anything will do. Actually, it would be better if you would let someone else play, and you can tweak the knobs, looking from aside, you will get a bit better perspective focusing on sound rather than playing.

If you do need to test something, inform your self properly before going to store. Find out different opinions, find out the features so you can go through them quickly, and listen closely to the sound. Find other brand of gear with similar tone and features and compare to see the difference, so you can have a reference point.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 28 2011, 06:39 PM
Instructor
Ah yes, I know that feeling ! There's 2 things going on.. 1) Pressure of trying to think of all the coolest licks and riffs.. and 2) worried about other people listening to you ! tongue.gif

One thing that might help is make a list at home of all the songs/licks that you want to play and take it to the shop with you. It's not as stupid as it sounds.. just use it to remind yourself before you go into the shop so you don't feel silly looking at a piece of paper smile.gif

The other thing is to remind yourself is that every other person who's ever played a guitar in a guitar store feels exactly the same way as you.. so nobody's judging you at all smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:57 AM