5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Dinaga's Insane Lessons Hunt!, With small, achievable goals to success! :)
Dinaga
Feb 5 2012, 11:14 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Love the idea Dinaga. I'm definitely in to try it.

Right now I've been working on Marcus Lavendell's Evening Blues (among Ben's guitar bushido tasks and a couple others) which is only at level 5 but has sections that are over my head, mainly the tapping stuff. Maybe I'll finish that one then pick a level 7-8 lesson that I will have to grind it out with for a while.

Look forward to seeing what everybody is doing and watching everybody's progress.

Great mate smile.gif Well believe me, I found many lessons here which are level 5-6 but I couldn't do them! On the other hand, I found some level 7 lessons which were easier for me. I guess it's all about which lessons suit you better and which techniques you know better than others. So numbers don't really matter at all wink.gif

Maybe i am a bit crazy but i liked much more the oriental shreds at the speed you did it. You can notice much better the phrases....you are a brave man Dinaga, keep them coming!

Thanks man, and it is really true that less can be more! When playing something at high-speed you can't notice all the tiny details! smile.gif And sometimes it is even harder to play something slower! Like sweep picking for example, it's easier to do them ultra-fast than at medium speed, at least for me.

Dinaga, this is an excellent project! I have been thinking for a long time of starting a "practice vlog", but as with many other things I think of it has stayed only a thought.

It will be very interesting to follow your hunt for insane lessons. I would also like to add a quote for you to bring on your quest of becoming a Guitar God:

"I've got to keep running the course
I've got to keep running and win at all costs
I've got to keep going, be strong
Must be so determined and push myself on"

Best of luck!

H4H

Ahh Maiden! biggrin.gif Love that song! biggrin.gif Thanks mate smile.gif

I have two more Insane lessons in my pocket, so I'll post my starting slow takes these days. After that has been done, no more new Insane lessons until I get those "big four" on their knees! laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 5 2012, 11:15 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 5 2012, 01:34 PM
Instructor
That is awesome man, I just checked out this thread and I think you are doing an amazing job here smile.gif Keep rocking, I have lots of respect for you. "Speed is a bi-product of precision" is Guthrie Govan's quote! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 5 2012, 07:38 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 5 2012, 01:34 PM) *
That is awesome man, I just checked out this thread and I think you are doing an amazing job here smile.gif Keep rocking, I have lots of respect for you. "Speed is a bi-product of precision" is Guthrie Govan's quote! smile.gif

Thanks a lot for the very kind words, my friend smile.gif I am really honoured to have respect of such a guitar virtuoso! mellow.gif

Hehe, I didn't know it was Guthrie's quote, I just saw it in Todd's Practice journal over and over so that was my reference biggrin.gif And it is a very wise quote too! smile.gif

And... Here's another lesson: Mojo Oro part 2 at 60% speed. It feels and sounds really unnatural to play it at this speed! The staccato notes sound weird and I swear, this is easier to play faster than slower! Technically it's not really complicated, but the main problem is that if played over and over, there's a chance of wrist injury because it's played near the neck so the hand is stretched a lot. This lesson is the reason why I injured my wrist a few days ago. I guess this take could be better (especially the ending) but this is just a starting point. Next checkpoint is probably a clean 70%.

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 5 2012, 09:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
Great take Dinaga!! I had never heard that Muris lesson before, and it's killer!! I noticed how the 3rd and 4th fingers are all curled up tightly in his picking hand in that vid....interesting.

Best of luck to you on this journey!! I think you can get it there. I'm betting you can get it up to speed before I can get Muris' "Country Picking Advanced" up to full speed!! But I'll keep trying at that one anyway. Although, now I'm interested in giving these Mojo Oro vids a shot in the upcoming weeks also!!

Keep it up, and NO MORE INJURIES!!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 6 2012, 11:45 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (derper @ Feb 5 2012, 09:10 PM) *
Great take Dinaga!! I had never heard that Muris lesson before, and it's killer!! I noticed how the 3rd and 4th fingers are all curled up tightly in his picking hand in that vid....interesting.

Best of luck to you on this journey!! I think you can get it there. I'm betting you can get it up to speed before I can get Muris' "Country Picking Advanced" up to full speed!! But I'll keep trying at that one anyway. Although, now I'm interested in giving these Mojo Oro vids a shot in the upcoming weeks also!!

Keep it up, and NO MORE INJURIES!!

You are too kind. smile.gif Thanks so much man. I don't think I can get it up to speed that fast. biggrin.gif Transitions from 50% to 60%, and maybe 60% to 70% will be easier but it is a whole world of distance between 80% and 90%, or 90% to100% biggrin.gif I remember practicing Ben's Defining Armageddon solo for weeks on 80% and it still eats up all of my endurance and stamina at 100% biggrin.gif

Can't wait for your Mojo Oro takes, mate! It will be great to hear it. And as for injuries, now I stop playing whenever I see veins popping out on my left hand tongue.gif

Oh, and here's a new video: Oriental Shred at 60%! It was not so hard to speed up to 60% once I learned 50%, but now I feel a lot more confident while playing this piece. The worst part about this lesson (besides memorizing all the notes tongue.gif) were the grace notes, but once learned, it's really no biggie. I also improved the last diminished picked arpeggio. All in all, there's still a LONG road to go, but improvements are made, and my motivation is high!

Stay tuned for more. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 6 2012, 11:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
Great new take on the Oriental Shred.... at first it doesn't seem too difficult, but then it hits you!! There are certainly some subtleties that really make that piece difficult I would imagine. But it looks pretty solid at that speed!

It may take me a week or two to post a Mojo Oro vid. I've got some other musical commitments this week, BUT I'm gonna try to also dig back into that country advanced pickin' and post a vid here, since I can do that faster than learning a new piece. I ran it a bit yesterday, to refresh my memory since I haven't worked on it REALLY hard for a few weeks, and was surprised at how far back I fell by not staying on it! ohmy.gif BUT, if I run it at 90bpms to get it SOLID, I should be able to crank it back to 110bpm in no time, and hopefully to 120 shortly thereafter. I'll try and post a 110 take by the end of my shift, but that depends on my customer traffic.

Though it's not "insane", I've been focusing on Stephane's "John Scofield Lesson" recently and am almost ready to submit my first official REC vid on that!!

Keep up the good work, and hopefully I'll be able to submit a vid of my "progress" shortly!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 7 2012, 10:54 AM
Instructor
Really enjoying this thread Dinaga ! cool.gif

And yes, I remember your take of Defining Armageddon very well.. I was highly impressed !! smile.gif

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 7 2012, 10:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
Finally.....I had the time, and the means to submit a video of my "progress", or lack thereof. More specifically, I am now "re-working" on this run, meaning it has been a few weeks since I've worked on this riff. Today, I spent about 10-15 minutes (after warmups! tongue.gif ) at only 90bpm, to ensure I could actually get through every not cleanly. I really hate working at 90 bpms for this riff, as is feels "sluggish" and silly to work that slow. 100 is my "bare-minimum", but I have to EARN IT!! So, after a little bit of annoying practice at 90, it was time to crank it back to 100. Still, 110 starts to actually feel better, but then I get sloppy on a few key parts, so I'm stuck at 100bpm-land for a while until I can EARN my spot at 110!! I think I was at 110 before, but probably not clean enough.

Thankfully, my phone (at work....mattress sales!!) didn't ring until the very end of this take!!

I've got a LONG way to go, to get to 155. But I smile thinking of how much I'll improve by the time I reach even 130!!

**Side note: I wish I knew of one other person working on, or that has worked on, this same lesson. I SWEAR it's the most difficult "level 8" video out there!! I would love to see how far others have gotten. Perhaps I should search the "REC" forum and see... dry.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 7 2012, 11:40 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (derper @ Feb 7 2012, 10:23 PM) *
Finally.....I had the time, and the means to submit a video of my "progress", or lack thereof. More specifically, I am now "re-working" on this run, meaning it has been a few weeks since I've worked on this riff. Today, I spent about 10-15 minutes (after warmups! tongue.gif ) at only 90bpm, to ensure I could actually get through every not cleanly. I really hate working at 90 bpms for this riff, as is feels "sluggish" and silly to work that slow. 100 is my "bare-minimum", but I have to EARN IT!! So, after a little bit of annoying practice at 90, it was time to crank it back to 100. Still, 110 starts to actually feel better, but then I get sloppy on a few key parts, so I'm stuck at 100bpm-land for a while until I can EARN my spot at 110!! I think I was at 110 before, but probably not clean enough.

Thankfully, my phone (at work....mattress sales!!) didn't ring until the very end of this take!!

I've got a LONG way to go, to get to 155. But I smile thinking of how much I'll improve by the time I reach even 130!!

**Side note: I wish I knew of one other person working on, or that has worked on, this same lesson. I SWEAR it's the most difficult "level 8" video out there!! I would love to see how far others have gotten. Perhaps I should search the "REC" forum and see... dry.gif

Hey man congrats! That's a great take and you're doing awesome! smile.gif No reason to be annoyed, the most important thing is that you have control, and speed will come! I enjoyed this, and as you said, you'll drastically improve even at 130 bpm! No pain no gain cool.gif

And I totally agree that speed has to be earned, every time I sit to practice, even if I could do the lesson really fast, I have to warm up a lot and play at lower speeds before I crank it up smile.gif That's why I usually suck when I play these lessons in front of other people, because I'm not warmed up and they expect me to play at original speed right away.

And it's hilarious that you've got all your equipment at work... that's the spirit! biggrin.gif You're allowed to do the recording there? laugh.gif

And here's a Rocky montage clip for everyone willing to participate here - nothing is as motivating as this!
When we achieve our goal we can all yell with great satisfaction: YO ADRIAN, I DID IT! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 7 2012, 11:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks!!

As long as I get up and do my job when a customer walks in, I'm free to play guitar on the clock!! Which is the main reason I keep this job! If I ever end up in a GMC funny, I can already guess it'll be a scene of my customers coming in to shop for a mattress, right while I'm nailing a vid at full speed!!

I'll keep it up on the Muris vid. I searched the REC forum, and no one has submitted a REC of that lesson yet. I may someday become the first. If there are any instructors out there open to the challenge, I would love to see/hear from one of you while getting it up to speed!! Anyone? Anyone willing to put those shreddy chops to the country test? tongue.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 8 2012, 11:52 AM
Instructor
Loved the video Gabe ! I love it how you just play guitar at work laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 15 2012, 01:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
You didn't think I'd give up on this quest, did you? laugh.gif

I'm back with the Oriental shred lesson, this time at 70% speed!
Now it's getting serious. While I was comfortable with the 50% and 60% takes, this one was trickier.
Each next 10% take will be a huge achievement, but it will also take longer to master.
But we're getting somewhere and that's important! smile.gif

I hope there will be more of your entries here so we can conquer insane lessons together smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 15 2012, 01:45 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 15 2012, 01:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
Let's keep this thread alive!! I actually intended to work on my "Country picking advanced" lesson for a while today, and attempt to send a take at 120 bpm, but the day got pretty busy, and the owner AND boss both came in and dropped ohmy.gif ACTUAL WORK on to my plate!! What the?!! I'm used to chillin', playing guitar and helping a very occasional customer. This WORK thing isn't for me!!! tongue.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 15 2012, 01:53 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (derper @ Feb 15 2012, 01:45 AM) *
Let's keep this thread alive!! I actually intended to work on my "Country picking advanced" lesson for a while today, and attempt to send a take at 120 bpm, but the day got pretty busy, and the owner AND boss both came in and dropped ohmy.gif ACTUAL WORK on to my plate!! What the?!! I'm used to chillin', playing guitar and helping a very occasional customer. This WORK thing isn't for me!!! tongue.gif

Haha well what can you do! Another day, another chance!
Looking forward to your next take mate, shoot it when you're ready, on "occasional" days smile.gif

So... LET'S DO THIS!
The boss can take away your day... BUT HE WILL NEVER TAKE AWAY YOUR FREEDOM!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 15 2012, 01:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Feb 15 2012, 02:54 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Wow, how did I miss this thread? Awesome job Dinaga and all who are trying this. When I was "mastering" lessons last year, I also took very similar approach, just trying to push myself to next difficult lesson here and I eventually tried a level 10 lesson as well. I also wanted to do Neoclassic but couldn't go past 140bpm (not clean). I thought I was spending too much time on "speed" (which was the major reason I left guitar for about 12 years as I couldn't do a simple song) and instead tried focusing more on accuracy, melodic stuff. I have less time to practice but since Bushido's tasks, I am back to speed which feels a little hard and energy consuming. But it feels good. I will try to get back. I can hardly play guitar for 15 mins now (with my baby taking most of my time). smile.gif

Good work all. Loving the progress.

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 15 2012, 09:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Feb 15 2012, 12:39 AM) *
You didn't think I'd give up on this quest, did you? laugh.gif

I'm back with the Oriental shred lesson, this time at 70% speed!
Now it's getting serious. While I was comfortable with the 50% and 60% takes, this one was trickier.
Each next 10% take will be a huge achievement, but it will also take longer to master.
But we're getting somewhere and that's important! smile.gif

I hope there will be more of your entries here so we can conquer insane lessons together smile.gif

Sounding good D-Master ! I love that T shirt ! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (derper @ Feb 15 2012, 12:45 AM) *

How dare he ? That's outrageous. Everybody knows that nothing is allowed to hinder guitar practice. mad.gif

QUOTE (maharzan @ Feb 15 2012, 01:54 AM) *
Wow, how did I miss this thread? Awesome job Dinaga and all who are trying this. When I was "mastering" lessons last year, I also took very similar approach, just trying to push myself to next difficult lesson here and I eventually tried a level 10 lesson as well. I also wanted to do Neoclassic but couldn't go past 140bpm (not clean). I thought I was spending too much time on "speed" (which was the major reason I left guitar for about 12 years as I couldn't do a simple song) and instead tried focusing more on accuracy, melodic stuff. I have less time to practice but since Bushido's tasks, I am back to speed which feels a little hard and energy consuming. But it feels good. I will try to get back. I can hardly play guitar for 15 mins now (with my baby taking most of my time). smile.gif

Yeah it's a bit like getting fit isn't it ? I know the feeling, I'm going through it now but it feels good ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Feb 15 2012, 01:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Sounding good D-Master ! I love that T shirt !

Thanks a lot, Shredmeister Sensei Ben! Haha, I love that T-shirt too, when I saw it I knew I HAD to buy it biggrin.gif

Wow, how did I miss this thread? Awesome job Dinaga and all who are trying this. When I was "mastering" lessons last year, I also took very similar approach, just trying to push myself to next difficult lesson here and I eventually tried a level 10 lesson as well. I also wanted to do Neoclassic but couldn't go past 140bpm (not clean). I thought I was spending too much time on "speed" (which was the major reason I left guitar for about 12 years as I couldn't do a simple song) and instead tried focusing more on accuracy, melodic stuff. I have less time to practice but since Bushido's tasks, I am back to speed which feels a little hard and energy consuming. But it feels good. I will try to get back. I can hardly play guitar for 15 mins now (with my baby taking most of my time).

Thanks man! smile.gif I'm glad you like this idea! Well, the baby is the first priority of course, when I have one I'll surely devote most of my time to him/her too smile.gif

But it's interesting, when you are not allowed to do something, or when you have limited time to do it, you find it even more compelling! For example, I like playing guitar but it's the exam time when I find it most enjoyable, because I should be studying for my exams biggrin.gif

And I agree, it's a lot frustrating when you hit the "speed brick wall" and feel like you can't progress no more, but then I realize that every take which is played properly from start to end is in fact perfect take! It's a lot better to hear something nice at 70 bpm than the exact same melody played dirty at 120 bpm.

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Feb 15 2012, 01:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Mar 2 2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Hows your hand Dinaga?

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Mar 19 2012, 04:41 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (maharzan @ Mar 2 2012, 10:50 AM) *
Hows your hand Dinaga?

Hey mate, sorry for not replying earlier! I just saw this post. smile.gif My hand is getting better, thanks for asking my friend! smile.gif

Well, as you most know, last month I was recovering from my hand injury and I didn't play guitar at all. Now I started playing and I think it's getting better! smile.gif My hand still hurts but I'm taking pauses between my playing and I try to plan my schedule more wisely. biggrin.gif I learned a lot from this experience and I'll talk about this in more detail later smile.gif

Now for the fun part - the next video! biggrin.gif Here's Oriental Shred at 80% speed. Please ignore the dumb faces and head movements I make, it's because this lesson is so damn groovy laugh.gif I always mess up the ending, but I will learn it separately for the final 100% speed video, I promise wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FrontlineGuitar
Mar 19 2012, 06:08 PM
GMC:er
Awesome job on this whole concept, Dinaga smile.gif

Just like to say, I've been stalking this thread for a while wink.gif so I might as well have a go myself..

A couple days ago I decided to get to work on a level 9 lesson that had always interested me.. it's the Yngwie Malmsteen Style Solo by Emir Hot. This will obviously take some serious time and practice, but I hope to one day be able to get it down cleanly at full speed.

So i guess I'll join you on this one.. will post a take at some point of it at a slower speed smile.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:51 AM