Weird: Im Playing Slower And Slower....
Staffy
Oct 20 2010, 11:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
Have anyone else spotted this phenomena: the older You gets the slower You play???
I just realized that I play slower now than for two years ago, even that I spend some
two-three hours/day playin. Isn't it supposed to be the other way round?
Anyway, my theory about this is as follows:
We play slower and slower because when we are finally singing at the last verse, we
wants to hit an eternal whole note. (or maybe a pause??? )
Of course this theory doesn't fit all, mr Malmsteen would be killed by beeing ran over with a bus
or something before he even thinks to slow down his playing.....

//Staffay

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Oct 20 2010, 11:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
So are saying that you are intentionally slowing down, or your subconscious is making you play slower? Or is it something physical making you play slow?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 20 2010, 11:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Oct 21 2010, 12:16 AM) *
So are saying that you are intentionally slowing down, or your subconscious is making you play slower? Or is it something physical making you play slow?

Nah, its not intentionally. Its more like that the songs Im practicing on tends to go slower & slower, and instead of playing 40% slow and 60% fast in a solo its the other way round. I still can play faster runs, so it has nothin to do with the musculature either. Its like my ears doesnt like fast runs anymore. It must be a severe disease for a guitar player, I guess.... I guess I have to find a cure against that.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 21 2010, 02:09 AM
GMC:er
For me it's kind of the opposite. I was always curious as to what my upper limit would be before my hands fell apart and arthritis consumed me (Arthritis runs in my family) So each year I've actually gotten faster. I know that eventually my fingers will fail me but until then I'm going to push my personal envelope. I'll watch the vids I made "back in the day" once I start using my tongue to control my computer and say "not bad".

Todd

+Quote Post
Jasonius
Oct 21 2010, 08:11 AM
I refuse to admit that age is making me slow ( I'm 50 now). It takes me twice as long to learn something as it used to. Hopefully I'll be retired soon and will have twice as much time to practise, so I should be twice as fast, right??
Maybe it's just a mood your in. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Jasonius: Oct 21 2010, 08:23 AM

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Oct 21 2010, 09:36 AM
Got to research into this, my parents hate fast music and like that Elvis dude, but younger generations tend to love the upbeat dance and metal speed!

Has your music taste changed from when you were younger?

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 21 2010, 10:43 AM
GMC Founder
Sounds like something positive to me Staffy - playing slow is very difficult. As you get more experienced you learn to do the tricky stuff!

I am still struggling to get get control over my timing and tone on the slower tempos - it's so much easier to hide behind speed.

On a side note - Yngwie is one of the few rock guys who has full control at slow speeds as well - I find this really impressive.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 21 2010, 12:42 PM
Instructor
that's the first person that came to mind, Yngwie. Also Mr. Petrucci is not that young anymore, but he plays even faster now,

My theory is that you actually never liked that speedy kind of stuff. smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 21 2010, 02:24 PM
Instructor
Hmm, not sure I think it varies from person to person. But, yeah, it's usually like that, that with age, people don't become faster and faster. On the other hand, their playing becomes more "heavier" (not sure how to say it, I hope you know what I mean), soulful, better tone... This is not the rule, but it's usually like that, when I look at many musicians that play during their life.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 21 2010, 03:24 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Well, seeing how I struggle playing fast paced stuff already, I certainly hope I don't start to play slower every year laugh.gif wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Thrasymachus
Oct 21 2010, 03:27 PM
If that's true I think we can conclude that Mr. Malmsteen is just afraid of dying smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:37 PM