2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Disco Era Ballad Chord Solo
klasaine
Feb 25 2014, 06:11 AM
GMC:er
Made ya look wink.gif

Had this tune stuck in my head since Valentines day.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hexabuzz
Feb 25 2014, 06:32 AM
Nice!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 25 2014, 06:43 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
Very nice rendition of great old tune Ken. nice job man. Is that a Fender Jag?

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 25 2014, 07:07 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Great playing Ken.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 25 2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks!
It's a Jazzmaster (Fender Japan).

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 25 2014, 07:11 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 25 2014, 10:34 AM
Instructor
Frankly, I am super glad I found this and not a disco era solo biggrin.gif

Great interpretation man - I also shared it on FB!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 25 2014, 10:43 AM
Learning Tone Master
Great playing Ken, I like it very much!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 25 2014, 11:36 AM
Instructor
This is a fantastic song and it also sound awesome on guitar. Great arrange Ken! Really pleasant to listen!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 25 2014, 11:51 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Love this song, it is so catchy! smile.gif
You made a lovely arrangement.

I also like the version John Frusciante sung on RHCP concerts:

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Guido Bungenstoc...
Feb 25 2014, 12:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 25 2014, 06:11 AM) *
Made ya look wink.gif

Had this tune stuck in my head since Valentines day.

just beautiful, Ken! I love that tune! ;-)

--------------------
FIND ME HERE AT:
Guidorist.com

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 25 2014, 02:15 PM
Instructor
Wou! Very nice version! I like how the chords move with the backings and those moments when it becomes a bit more jazzy. Congrats!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 25 2014, 05:14 PM
Thanks all!

I've always thought is was a great tune but I know a lot of folks detest it laugh.gif. Probably a generational thing - ?
When I was looking for the original to check my memory against I came across the Frusciante/RHCP and thought it was pretty cool that they would do it. They are my generation and when that song was a hit you either loved it or you hated it.

As for the 'jazz' ... that's all them (the Bee Gees). I barely touched those chords.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 26 2014, 08:48 AM
Learning Tone Master
I don't understand how somebody can detest this song. I was born in the same year when Bee Gees released this single biggrin.gif Always I loved this song and every time when I hear it I think that this is real music. These old songs are a deep footprint in music history wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 26 2014, 10:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Feb 25 2014, 10:51 AM) *
Love this song, it is so catchy! smile.gif
You made a lovely arrangement.

I also like the version John Frusciante sung on RHCP concerts:

Nice version Bogdan! Don't you just love it when the guitarist wins the crowd because he can also sing? biggrin.gif I find it priceless!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 26 2014, 03:41 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 25 2014, 11:48 PM) *
I don't understand how somebody can detest this song. I was born in the same year when Bee Gees released this single biggrin.gif Always I loved this song and every time when I hear it I think that this is real music. These old songs are a deep footprint in music history wink.gif

It was a fluid time for music. Very transitional.
There were 3 camps: the Rockers, those into soul/funk and it's spawn - the evil Disco and the newly emerging Punk scene.
1- The disco folks cut their hair, put on sexy clothes and went dancing. The music was very slick.
2 - I don't need to explain punk rock.
3 - And there were the (hard) rock guys and gals. They were generally intimidated by the other two.

Of course that's an extreme over-simplification but ultimately all three survived, thrived and influenced the subsequent musical generations. Lesson: don't be a hater wink.gif

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 26 2014, 03:42 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 27 2014, 09:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 26 2014, 02:41 PM) *
There were 3 camps: the Rockers, those into soul/funk and it's spawn - the evil Disco and the newly emerging Punk scene.
1- The disco folks cut their hair, put on sexy clothes and went dancing. The music was very slick.
3 - And there were the (hard) rock guys and gals. They were generally intimidated by the other two.

Of course that's an extreme over-simplification but ultimately all three survived, thrived and influenced the subsequent musical generations. Lesson: don't be a hater wink.gif

I haven't lived in those times, but I associate that period with the funk/soul, which I like VERY much. I was also in the punk-rock music in my mid teens smile.gif But I was mainly listening to stuff written in the 90s - Offspring, Green Day, Bad Religion and even the Exploited biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 27 2014, 05:26 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 27 2014, 12:28 AM) *
I haven't lived in those times, but I associate that period with the funk/soul, which I like VERY much. I was also in the punk-rock music in my mid teens smile.gif But I was mainly listening to stuff written in the 90s - Offspring, Green Day, Bad Religion and even the Exploited biggrin.gif

The 'Punk Rock' in the late 70s was totally different thing - way more political and potentially genuinely violent. A reaction against everything in (what they saw as) complacent society. Way too much historically to go into here.
Here, if you're interested ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Thanks!..._Punk_Rebellion
http://punkmusic.about.com/od/punk101/a/punkhistory2.htm

*By the time the 90s punk revival thing came around we pretty much just called it rock music. It got the 'punk' or post-punk moniker later ... mostly based on their clothes and haircuts. Again, a reaction - this time to Nirvana and Pearl Jam etc.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 27 2014, 05:27 PM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 27 2014, 10:33 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 26 2014, 06:41 AM) *

I remember during that time it was common to see the word "disco" painted by vandals underneath the word "Stop" on stop signs. biggrin.gif I wasn't a big fan of disco myself back then , but many of the songs from that era had a way of growing on you the more you listened to them.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Feb 27 2014, 10:36 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 28 2014, 01:10 PM
Instructor
Frankly, I could never understand why punk rock would have something against grunge - I for one enjoy both of them and see their importance in the evolution of music history, as genres. Guess what, I can still enjoy an Offspring tune and an Alice In Chains one pretty much a big lot - hell, I even play in an Alice in Chains tribute band from time to time.

Dunno man.. I just can't agree with silly rivalries smile.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 28 2014, 03:17 PM
As it's happening in real time - it's more of a societal thing than a musical thing. After two or three bands 'make it' commercially the socio-political motives are usually lost or forgotten. But many times the allegiances remain.
The very beginnings of whatever musical movement - punk, hip-hop, grunge, disco, shoegaze, black metal, whatever - there's something sociologically and/or politically and/or economically and/or racially that helps to trigger as well as define and foment a movement. People align themselves with one side or the other. Many times in the beginning of the movement 'music' (or art) is symbolically your badge or uniform that you use to identify yourself to like minded individuals and separate yourself from those that don't think like you. Art and music are powerful tools. Why do you think it's always modern or controversial art, music, literature and theater that gets 'banned' in totalitarian societies? It's potentially "dangerous".

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 28 2014, 03:20 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:12 AM