2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Pedal Board/effect Chain Advice And Tips!, Here's my board!
derper
Jul 4 2012, 10:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here's my board!! Excuse the mess, I gig a lot and this is post-gig and I haven't cleaned it up yet. Also, the power supplies do/usually have zip ties and are actually pretty neat, but I've been swapping pedals in and out more than usual.

I just picked up the Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket Tube Drive pedal 2 days ago, and it sounds so SWEEEET!! laugh.gif I'm in love!! I will end up using it in place of the HBE (Home Brewed Electronics) Power Screamer, which I heavily preferred over a tube screamer. We'll see....time and gigs will tell!

The red pedal is a Seymour Duncan pickup booster, which is mainly a clean boost. I leave it on always for non-EMULATOR shows. It also allows me a last-ditch volume boost if I'm playing live and underestimated my band's ability to rock louder after soundcheck, and I can't get to my amp on stage!! I just nudge the clean boost, and WHAM!! Way more volume (if needed) without sacrificing my clean headroom (funk!!).

I just picked up the modtone Extreme Metal, and traded in my MXR Fullbore Metal (too "scoopy") for it. I joked that I was looking for "half-bore, not FULLbore!!". I tried a few pedals, but the cheap Modtone was right on, and the EQ makes it very customizable (more so than the MXR, which also had many EQ knobs).

Standard crybaby wah.

Standard Boss Octave (OC-2 I think)

Standard Ernie Ball Volume, which my crappy korg tuner plugs into direct.

Standard crappy power supply, and no "one-spot". dry.gif

I dig the tone I get, but I notice that many guitarists go into volume pedal first. I didn't like the result as much, but haven't experimented with different chains/order in a while. I guess since it works, I never when back and played with the order again, except when I get a new effect like Envelope Filter (got rid of the vintage Q-tron....to "Jerry Garcia" for my taste!!).

Any tips? Share your board!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by derper: Jul 4 2012, 10:06 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Jul 4 2012, 10:17 PM
Instructor
Placing volume pedal first in chain have no benefits, imho - you'll have same effect as guitar volume knob.
I use this scheme, it's pretty logical - "tuner - filter - dynamics - modulation - clean boost (for solos, etc) - volume pedal - delay - reverb"

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 4 2012, 10:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks Max!! Also....welcome to GMC! I look forward to checking out some of your lessons!

Also, glad to hear your opinion on the volume pedal placement. I never understood why so many people go right into it! It seems like, then, you could potentially be cutting your signal into your "tube screamer" etc., and that would change the actual tone of the drive. Whereas, using volume at the end should leave the tone alone a bit more (other than, cutting volume to amp which effects tone in that way!) and only cut the volume instead of also cutting the gain from the pedal. At least, that was my logic somewhat.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Jul 4 2012, 10:33 PM
Instructor
That's right!
For the same reason we should place delay and reverb pedals after OD's and dists to make them sound right.
Otherwise, you can try to place it before and get some interesting dirty sounds!

Also I suggest you to check out "oz noy effects" on youtube - this guy has unique approach to guitar effects!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 5 2012, 06:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Jul 4 2012, 09:05 PM) *
Here's my board!! Excuse the mess, I gig a lot and this is post-gig and I haven't cleaned it up yet. Also, the power supplies do/usually have zip ties and are actually pretty neat, but I've been swapping pedals in and out more than usual.

I just picked up the Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket Tube Drive pedal 2 days ago, and it sounds so SWEEEET!! laugh.gif I'm in love!! I will end up using it in place of the HBE (Home Brewed Electronics) Power Screamer, which I heavily preferred over a tube screamer. We'll see....time and gigs will tell!

The red pedal is a Seymour Duncan pickup booster, which is mainly a clean boost. I leave it on always for non-EMULATOR shows. It also allows me a last-ditch volume boost if I'm playing live and underestimated my band's ability to rock louder after soundcheck, and I can't get to my amp on stage!! I just nudge the clean boost, and WHAM!! Way more volume (if needed) without sacrificing my clean headroom (funk!!).

I just picked up the modtone Extreme Metal, and traded in my MXR Fullbore Metal (too "scoopy") for it. I joked that I was looking for "half-bore, not FULLbore!!". I tried a few pedals, but the cheap Modtone was right on, and the EQ makes it very customizable (more so than the MXR, which also had many EQ knobs).

Standard crybaby wah.

Standard Boss Octave (OC-2 I think)

Standard Ernie Ball Volume, which my crappy korg tuner plugs into direct.

Standard crappy power supply, and no "one-spot". dry.gif

I dig the tone I get, but I notice that many guitarists go into volume pedal first. I didn't like the result as much, but haven't experimented with different chains/order in a while. I guess since it works, I never when back and played with the order again, except when I get a new effect like Envelope Filter (got rid of the vintage Q-tron....to "Jerry Garcia" for my taste!!).

Any tips? Share your board!!

Hi! Both ways are correct and since volume pedal does not have any modulation you can place it anywhere! All depends on what you want to have a volume control over and what you don't need! I would suggest placing it in the beginning of your chain or after OD the reason is you don't want to cut delay/reverb effects with the volume pedal and that's exactly what will happen if you will place it last!
Tr ya few ways and find the one that fits you the best!
Also about the whole pedalboard set up just experiment with it! Hendrix for example changed it up same as SRV so the worse thing can happen you will have to switch it back smile.gif Try out a few things and find the one that fits you best!

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 6 2012, 12:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 5 2012, 10:01 AM) *
Hi! Both ways are correct and since volume pedal does not have any modulation you can place it anywhere! All depends on what you want to have a volume control over and what you don't need! I would suggest placing it in the beginning of your chain or after OD the reason is you don't want to cut delay/reverb effects with the volume pedal and that's exactly what will happen if you will place it last!
Tr ya few ways and find the one that fits you the best!
Also about the whole pedalboard set up just experiment with it! Hendrix for example changed it up same as SRV so the worse thing can happen you will have to switch it back smile.gif Try out a few things and find the one that fits you best!

Thanks Alex!! After reading your post, I think I understand why I use volume last, and others tend to go volume first....I'm NOT using delay!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 6 2012, 02:27 AM
GMC:er
GREAT Point here by our new Instructor! Putting the volume pedal at the head is probably not your best bet unless you have very specific reasons, and in which case you'd probably need another at the end of the chain which gets wonky.

And BINGO on the effects stack IMHO

tuner - filter - dynamics - modulation - clean boost (for solos, etc) - volume pedal - delay - reverb

If you (for example) st your reverb ahead of your dynamics, your revert tail gets compressed/expanded. Just one example.This is a great guideline for live signal path.

Todd

QUOTE (Max Sokolov @ Jul 4 2012, 05:17 PM) *
Placing volume pedal first in chain have no benefits, imho - you'll have same effect as guitar volume knob.
I use this scheme, it's pretty logical - "tuner - filter - dynamics - modulation - clean boost (for solos, etc) - volume pedal - delay - reverb"

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 6 2012, 02:54 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 5 2012, 06:27 PM) *
GREAT Point here by our new Instructor! Putting the volume pedal at the head is probably not your best bet unless you have very specific reasons, and in which case you'd probably need another at the end of the chain which gets wonky.

And BINGO on the effects stack IMHO

tuner - filter - dynamics - modulation - clean boost (for solos, etc) - volume pedal - delay - reverb

If you (for example) st your reverb ahead of your dynamics, your revert tail gets compressed/expanded. Just one example.This is a great guideline for live signal path.

Todd

Could you/some clarify this... "tuner - filter - dynamics - modulation - clean boost (for solos, etc) - volume pedal - delay - reverb" in terms of my pedal setup, please?

For example, when you say "filter", would my wah be considered that? Or when I used to have an envelop filter, which is a similar effect. Sorry, I guess I'm just not sure also what my mesa bottle rocket/power screamer/extreme metal would be either (dynamics?) in that description either.

It's funny how I've played for so long, but without much input from real guitarists. So, I occasionally "oust" myself with a "dumb" question like this. (I realize that there is no "dumb" question, I'm never too afraid to ask!!)

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Jul 6 2012, 04:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Jul 6 2012, 01:54 AM) *
Could you/some clarify this... "tuner - filter - dynamics - modulation - clean boost (for solos, etc) - volume pedal - delay - reverb" in terms of my pedal setup, please?

For example, when you say "filter", would my wah be considered that? Or when I used to have an envelop filter, which is a similar effect. Sorry, I guess I'm just not sure also what my mesa bottle rocket/power screamer/extreme metal would be either (dynamics?) in that description either.

It's funny how I've played for so long, but without much input from real guitarists. So, I occasionally "oust" myself with a "dumb" question like this. (I realize that there is no "dumb" question, I'm never too afraid to ask!!)

Yes, wah pedal is filter, as well, as envelope filter pedals.
Compressor, od\dist, various boosters are dynamic processing, so, you're right wink.gif

Also, speaking about compressors - I never had this type of pedals, but used to see it in the beginning of "dynamics" section of various guys.
Now I have compressor in my axe fx and use it on my clean sounds slightly, placing after amp and cab blocks - it works well for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 7 2012, 06:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Max Sokolov @ Jul 6 2012, 03:55 AM) *
Yes, wah pedal is filter, as well, as envelope filter pedals.
Compressor, od\dist, various boosters are dynamic processing, so, you're right wink.gif

Also, speaking about compressors - I never had this type of pedals, but used to see it in the beginning of "dynamics" section of various guys.
Now I have compressor in my axe fx and use it on my clean sounds slightly, placing after amp and cab blocks - it works well for me.

What kind of compressor do you have? I was thinking of getting one I tried Keeley and was pretty impressed by it!

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Jul 7 2012, 07:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 7 2012, 05:43 AM) *
What kind of compressor do you have? I was thinking of getting one I tried Keeley and was pretty impressed by it!

I use internal Axe FX compressor - it does its job very well.
I tried Keeley compressor and was impressed too!

Also I was completely blown out by dbx 160x in this video, but it's a rack device.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3I6euvvLFc...player_embedded

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 7 2012, 07:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Max Sokolov @ Jul 7 2012, 06:01 AM) *
I use internal Axe FX compressor - it does its job very well.
I tried Keeley compressor and was impressed too!

Also I was completely blown out by dbx 160x in this video, but it's a rack device.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3I6euvvLFc...player_embedded

I have AXE FX as well as a few pedalboards but I am not very comfortable with using Fractal live so I have to bring pedals! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Jul 7 2012, 02:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 7 2012, 06:53 AM) *
I have AXE FX as well as a few pedalboards but I am not very comfortable with using Fractal live so I have to bring pedals! smile.gif

Yes, it's not good to lose an opportunity of quick on-stage tweaking, but a good amp is a rarity in russian clubs laugh.gif , so I prefer using Axe.
Still tweaking it a little on soundchecks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 7 2012, 06:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Max Sokolov @ Jul 7 2012, 06:16 AM) *
Yes, it's not good to lose an opportunity of quick on-stage tweaking, but a good amp is a rarity in russian clubs...

Wow. The things I take for granted. In Portland, there is no shortage of great gear. We really do get excellent prices because the market here is flooded with great gear and players. Often times, I'll get a piece of gear (like my Bottle Rocket) for cheap, then notice that it's worth much more on ebay, etc.

But, not a ton of clubs actually have a "house amp". Some do, but we're all "gear-snobs" so we all tend to use our own rigs, unless sharing with another band to save space and time on set change.

It's also funny how, the "grass is always greener"....for example, EMULATOR played last night and our other guitarist brought his Marshall head and half stack, and was "jealous" of my little Fender Deluxe (1 12'' 40 watts tube, retails out here gently used for about $325!!) because it sounds great and is pretty light, small and still quite powerful. I personally want to trade it up to a Mesa Boogie 1 12'', but again... "the grass is ALWAYS greener"!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 8 2012, 01:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Max Sokolov @ Jul 7 2012, 01:16 PM) *
Yes, it's not good to lose an opportunity of quick on-stage tweaking, but a good amp is a rarity in russian clubs laugh.gif , so I prefer using Axe.
Still tweaking it a little on soundchecks.

Oh yeah! Tell me about Russian clubs! We recently went on tour there and half of the clubs didn't have two amps as we requested on the rider! Also another funny thing that I have noticed what's up with sound guys pointing amps sideways??? Towards musicians instead of the audience? I have never seen anything like that!

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 8 2012, 07:03 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 7 2012, 05:27 PM) *
Also another funny thing that I have noticed what's up with sound guys pointing amps sideways??? Towards musicians instead of the audience? I have never seen anything like that!

They must be reading Guitar Player mag.... I've seen a few articles mentioning big artists who are raving about having their amps pointing sideways, being behind the stage or offstage and such. I think AC/DC was one, and I can't remember the rest.

I wouldn't think it's necessary unless you're playing HUGE shows. I personally like the smack the crowd in the face with a little TRUE tone to mix with the house system!

That's my guess anyway!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 8 2012, 09:29 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (derper @ Jul 7 2012, 05:35 PM) *
Wow. The things I take for granted. In Portland, there is no shortage of great gear. We really do get excellent prices because the market here is flooded with great gear and players. Often times, I'll get a piece of gear (like my Bottle Rocket) for cheap, then notice that it's worth much more on ebay, etc.

But, not a ton of clubs actually have a "house amp". Some do, but we're all "gear-snobs" so we all tend to use our own rigs, unless sharing with another band to save space and time on set change.

It's also funny how, the "grass is always greener"....for example, EMULATOR played last night and our other guitarist brought his Marshall head and half stack, and was "jealous" of my little Fender Deluxe (1 12'' 40 watts tube, retails out here gently used for about $325!!) because it sounds great and is pretty light, small and still quite powerful. I personally want to trade it up to a Mesa Boogie 1 12'', but again... "the grass is ALWAYS greener"!

You live in portland ! That is sweet smile.gif My family was going to go there on vacation and I was all excited, but then my grandma didn't want to drive that far so we went to idaho instead. But in the end my grandma never came so we skipped Portland for nothing sad.gif I have heard it is very beautiful there.

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 8 2012, 11:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jul 8 2012, 01:29 PM) *
You live in portland ! That is sweet smile.gif My family was going to go there on vacation and I was all excited, but then my grandma didn't want to drive that far so we went to idaho instead. But in the end my grandma never came so we skipped Portland for nothing sad.gif I have heard it is very beautiful there.

Portland sure beats the heck out of Idaho!! wink.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 9 2012, 05:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
I just put together my first pedal board! I was going to post a picture but I didn't have time last night or this morning before work, so I'll just describe it here.

Guitar -> TS9 -> Amp

I think I got the order right!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jul 7 2012, 05:27 PM) *
Oh yeah! Tell me about Russian clubs! We recently went on tour there and half of the clubs didn't have two amps as we requested on the rider! Also another funny thing that I have noticed what's up with sound guys pointing amps sideways??? Towards musicians instead of the audience? I have never seen anything like that!

I don't know what the "norm" is having only been doing the live thing for about a year1/2 now, but I rather like having my amp pointed at me - when you have 3 instruments all mic'd, the PA is generally pumping out the volume to the audience, not to the stage, so it helps (me) to have my amp directed at me so I can hear what I'm playing better. The stage monitors have the mix, but if it's not mixed properly, I can always depend on what I'm hearing form my amp. The sound engineers I've worked with have never allowed me to have my 2x12 cranked higher than 4 volume wise, so the competing instruments can be uneven on stage depending on where you're standing. The only sure thing is the drummer.

Chris!

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Jul 9 2012, 05:18 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 9 2012, 05:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jul 9 2012, 04:24 PM) *
I just put together my first pedal board! I was going to post a picture but I didn't have time last night or this morning before work, so I'll just describe it here.

Guitar -> TS9 -> Amp

I think I got the order right!

biggrin.gif

I don't know what the "norm" is having only been doing the live thing for about a year1/2 now, but I rather like having my amp pointed at me - when you have 3 instruments all mic'd, the PA is generally pumping out the volume to the audience, not to the stage, so it helps (me) to have my amp directed at me so I can hear what I'm playing better. The stage monitors have the mix, but if it's not mixed properly, I can always depend on what I'm hearing form my amp. The sound engineers I've worked with have never allowed me to have my 2x12 cranked higher than 4 volume wise, so the competing instruments can be uneven on stage depending on where you're standing. The only sure thing is the drummer.

Chris!

That;s the whole point! You want amps pointing in the crowd not sideways! I just think it's weird!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:07 PM