2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Lefties Who Play Right Handed - Who Else?, Any notable guitarists?
Chief Brody
Sep 9 2008, 12:32 PM
GMC:er
This is just me trying to satisfy a bit of curiosity.

I'm a left handed (and footed!) person, in pretty much every aspect of life i favour my left side, so much so that whenever i'm lost i tend to go left because i trust it more than going right laugh.gif

But seriously, when i first began guitar i thought i was going to have to get a left handed one, only to find that i couldn't play that way if my life depended on it, it was not comfortable at all. So i tried playing right handed and everything felt great! I've stuck with that ever since and never had any problems.

For me as a leftie, it just feels more logical to have my superior left hand doing the fretwork and the right hand taking care of the picking/strumming. I talked to some of my guitar-playing friends about this and they think i'm a bit weird, but i know i can't be the only one.

So i was just wondering if anyone on GMC is a leftie who plays right handed for similar reasons, or if anyone can tell me some famous/notable guitarists who are also the same way.

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chief Brody: Sep 9 2008, 12:35 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Sep 9 2008, 12:45 PM
Michael Angelo Batio... just insanity.. i don't know which way is his natural tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
AnyJimmy
Sep 9 2008, 01:02 PM
I'm also a leftie who plays right handed. In the beginning, i also saw the same good things about it, e.g. using my left hand for fretting and bending. And i can also usually bend 2 whole notes (4 frets) in pitch. biggrin.gif

But, now i've been playing for some time, and i'm starting to see some disadvantages to this whole left/right-hand mess.
I found it really difficult for my right hand to do sweeps and fast alternate picking. It took me about a year to get those things right. biggrin.gif all better now though, and lately i've been thinking about getting me a MAB guitar tongue.gif j/k

/jimmy

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 9 2008, 01:02 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm a leftie who plays right handed smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 9 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm also a leftie that plays right handed. Although I think right handed guitars are more suited to left handed people as I think your left hand is more important for picking than strumming on the whole.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 9 2008, 01:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
Herman Li and Kurt Cobain are lefties who play right handed so youre in good company!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 9 2008, 01:16 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Kiko Loureiro from Angra also is left handed, but he plays right handed smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Sep 9 2008, 01:21 PM
I too am a lefty that plays right-handed. When I first got a guitar, I had no idea what I was doing and actually thought that I had a left-handed guitar. When I found out that I did have a right-handed guitar I tried a left-handed one, but it just felt weird to me. I guess it was too late to make the switch. It still makes more sense to me that the dominate hand does the fretting... I'm a bit ambidextrous though, so it may be different in my case.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Sep 9 2008, 01:33 PM
I'm a weirdo anyway lol. I write left handed and play tennis and pool left handed but play darts and cricket right handed biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Iluha
Sep 9 2008, 02:51 PM
Only famous Guitarist that is a natural leftie but learned how to play right handed I know is Michael Angelo Batio.

My friend is a leftie, and he plays a right handed guitar as a leftie(did that make sense?), which is just bizzare but I remember there was a discussion here a long long time ago about a famous blues guitarist who plays the same way.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 9 2008, 03:19 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm I was wondering about this too..I can imagine for beginner to seem natural to do with his primary hand the fretwork (no matter if he is left or right handed)...But than again I feel that it is wrong because you need the "strong" hand to do the picking/strumming and whatever job which is in the end more engaging then fretting work.I actually don't see a difference between right handed player trying to play left handed and vise versa....I somehow fear that in the end there could be a problem with the picking hand because they are reversed.But than again there are people who can write with both hands etc for whom it doesn't matter at all..What I would suggest though would be if you are left handed - get a left handed guitar (should be more natural and not much of a experiment then).. smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Sep 9 2008, 03:46 PM

I remember hearing that Gary Moore is left-handed but plays right-handed. His Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Moore seems to agree with this.

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Sep 9 2008, 03:51 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 9 2008, 09:19 AM) *
What I would suggest though would be if you are left handed - get a left handed guitar (should be more natural and not much of a experiment then).. smile.gif

I've tried, many times, but my right hand doesn't work on the fretboard. I feel like my left hand is fine with strumming and picking and feels almost natural at it, but my right doesn't have the flexibiliy or strength to get the job done.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 9 2008, 04:09 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Bedlam @ Sep 9 2008, 04:51 PM) *
I've tried, many times, but my right hand doesn't work on the fretboard. I feel like my left hand is fine with strumming and picking and feels almost natural at it, but my right doesn't have the flexibiliy or strength to get the job done.

Hmm its always like that at start, you should not switch hands because of that..I guess your right hand isn't less capable/flexible/etc nothing more than mine (or any right handed players) left hand??? Everything comes with practice , and its natural to use your primary hand for picking and strumming and guitar is designed that way.I don't know , you don't see right handed players trying to play like lefties...And its the same practically (we all have one primary side/hand) there is no difference in capabilities..

p.s. I guess of course that we all can learn in time to play with our primary hand on fretboard , but I don't know about the effort/limits thing needed to accomplish that ...

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 9 2008, 04:16 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
AnyJimmy
Sep 9 2008, 04:13 PM

Hah, been playing like this for 7 years, i think its too late to change anything by now biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Sep 9 2008, 05:29 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Sep 9 2008, 08:08 AM) *
Herman Li and Kurt Cobain are lefties who play right handed so youre in good company!

I can't speak to Herman Li's preference but Cobain definitely played left handed.

http://www.kurtsequipment.com/guitarspage.htm

As for me, I consider myself to be left handed (I write left handed) but I do a lot of things right handed (swing a bat, I keep my mouse on the right side). Some of that's convenience...it's a pain to find left handed versions of certain things.

I play guitar right handed. It feels more natural to me than the other way around. Though some day I'm going to get a left handed guitar and flip it over and convert it to rightie.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 9 2008, 07:25 PM
Instructor
I think that is pretty cool what you do. Jimi Hendrix was right handed but he played lefty guitars, so that is similar in a way.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Sep 9 2008, 09:07 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 9 2008, 02:25 PM) *
I think that is pretty cool what you do. Jimi Hendrix was right handed but he played lefty guitars, so that is similar in a way.

The Hendrix thing was part of what I was thinking of in flipping a lefty guitar. Cobain had a couple of guitars early on that were righty and flipped too. I found a good local luthier in the area that is more than capable of handling such mods so it has me thinking.

It's weird. I like weird. I just don't have the budget to really pursue weird, so I have the guitars I have.

Actually, there are some Hendrix tribute Strats out there that were built at the factory (I think it was a custom shop limited edition) as lefty's and flipped for a right handed player.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 9 2008, 09:14 PM
Instructor
In every classical guitar school you have to play normal right hand guitar. Their theory is that this is the only right way. If you enroll some modern academy for electric guitar, then the choice is yours. They will let you choose. I had left handed teacher, we never figured out how he was doing some fast stuff the other way arround smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Sep 9 2008, 09:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 9 2008, 02:25 PM) *

I am confused now, I though Hendrix played right handed guitars flipped because he was left handed. He was actually right handed?

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:00 AM