Amp Choice - Need An Advice!
Max Sokolov
Jul 15 2012, 06:26 AM
Instructor
Hi, guys!
I'm thinking about changing my amplifier, currently I've got Yerasov Boggart 30, it's 2-channel tube amp made in Russia, pretty good sounding, but huge and very unreliable..

So, what I'm looking for is 1-channel tube amp with effects loop and 12 inch speaker, it would be great if it's compact!
I like how Fender Blues Junior sounds, but there's no effects loop.

What you can suggest?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Max Sokolov: Jul 15 2012, 06:27 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Dieterle
Jul 15 2012, 08:20 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Max,

if you like the sound of fender why not a hot rod deluxe - its 2 channel ok - but a real great clean sound and good for effects
in front .

Dieter

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 15 2012, 09:51 AM
Instructor
Hey Max! What sort of styles would you like to tackle with it and.. what size does your budget have? Money kinda matters most of the times sad.gif eh?

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Jul 15 2012, 12:17 PM
Instructor
Hot Rod Deluxe is still huge and too powerfull, I need something smaller.

I'm going to play any of non-metal styles on it, as my Axe FX can handle all metal stuff.

Budget is around $1000

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jul 15 2012, 06:33 PM
GMC:er
http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products/ht-studio20/

This is a great one ..big brother of the allready legendary HT-5....!!Impossible to go wrong with it.. smile.gif

Even the 'HT 60 stage' is pretty compact and still affordable...

This post has been edited by Bossie: Jul 15 2012, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 15 2012, 08:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
Funny, I was going to mention the Fender Deluxe as well. Cheap (about $320 used USD), super reliable, and versitile. I onlyuse the clean channel, and use a Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket tube drive pedal in place of the "drive" channel.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 15 2012, 09:38 PM
Instructor
I would go for any Fender or Vox amp for non metal stuff... I don't know exactly which models of these brands include loop fx but you should check their sites. There are also some mesa boogie combo that sound really good. It would be very important if you could try some amps, play with them and choose the one that sounds better for you.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Jul 15 2012, 10:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Max Sokolov @ Jul 15 2012, 11:17 AM) *
Hot Rod Deluxe is still huge and too powerfull, I need something smaller.

I'm going to play any of non-metal styles on it, as my Axe FX can handle all metal stuff.

Budget is around $1000

Is axe fx not good for other stuff than metal? tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 15 2012, 11:22 PM
I would recommend the orange tiny terror combo. But it doesn't have an effects loop sad.gif Other than that it is a great amp ! Awesome tone , and it is pretty small because it has a 10 inch speaker not a 12.

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jul 15 2012, 11:48 PM
Here you can see the size difference between a blues junior and a Blackstar HT 20...the blackstar in fact is bigger but in my opinion
delivers the juniors sound and has a great effects loop.

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 16 2012, 01:26 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 15 2012, 01:38 PM) *
I would go for any Fender or Vox amp for non metal stuff... I don't know exactly which models of these brands include loop fx but you should check their sites. There are also some mesa boogie combo that sound really good. It would be very important if you could try some amps, play with them and choose the one that sounds better for you.

You might be surprised at the metal tone you can dig out of a fender clean channel, with the right pedals. But, if you're looking for metal tone from an amp channel, Fender is certainly not the way to go. I use pedals, so I get pretty amazing metal tone from my Fender. In fact, the other guitarist from EMULATOR plays an Ibanez Jem through a Marshall Half Stack and tube head (not sure exact model) and he was severely jealous of the tone and power I was getting out of my little Fender 1x12 combo!

Mesa, in my opinion, is like a fender but better (in most cases). Mesa's usually have GREAT clean tone (modern combo's such as 5:50, Lonestar, and Mark series) AND amazing gain channels for crunch/metal tone! But...you pay for it! Which is why I use the Fender Deluxe, and Mesa Tube pedal for the gain. SWEEEEET tone for cheap!!

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jul 16 2012, 02:41 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
Why are you looking for an amp when you have the Axe FX ? smile.gif

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 16 2012, 09:08 AM
Instructor
You know, the Vox AC30 could be an excellent choice smile.gif I got a friend owning it and a Music Man Silhouette Special - great, great combo between these two!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 16 2012, 04:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jul 15 2012, 10:41 PM) *
Why are you looking for an amp when you have the Axe FX ? smile.gif

I am also wondering this... maybe you could get something like the atomic amps and use Axe for everything...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Jul 17 2012, 07:52 PM
Instructor
Thanks guys, I'll check out your variants!

Axe isn't so tweakable live - you can't just walk to it and add mids while you have quick pause in music.
Also it's quite heavy - with power amp and rack case it would weight like combo, but I also have to carry cab for it.

So - the best option for me now is to get a little combo, which can be used both with pedals or with axe.

Now I'm thinking about Blackstar HT-5 and ENGL Gigmaster 15, but ENGL has 10" speaker, I worry about low end response..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Frankster
Jul 17 2012, 08:22 PM
Hi!

I´m using an Egnater Rebel 30

I love the tone, and you can change between fender like tone and marshall tone, and it has a FX - Loop

+Quote Post
llibach
Jul 17 2012, 08:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
How about Cornford they are supposed to be amazing amps. The Carrera is 6w tube and hurricane 20w i think and they have an fx loop. And I think Guthrie Govan uses them so they must be awesome. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Max Sokolov
Jul 17 2012, 08:43 PM
Instructor
Thanks!
For some reason I don't like clean channels of Egnater Rebel and Tweaker amps - tryed both.

Cornfords are great, but weight is about 20kg, even Carrera weights so.

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 17 2012, 08:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Max Sokolov @ Jul 17 2012, 12:43 PM) *
Thanks!
For some reason I don't like clean channels of Egnater Rebel and Tweaker amps - tryed both.

Cornfords are great, but weight is about 20kg, even Carrera weights so.

Interesting indeed....I was wanting (still will do) to go try some Egnaters at guitar center, just to see how they compare to my Fender Deluxe.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jul 17 2012, 09:42 PM
QUOTE (Max Sokolov @ Jul 17 2012, 06:52 PM) *
Thanks guys, I'll check out your variants!

Axe isn't so tweakable live - you can't just walk to it and add mids while you have quick pause in music.
Also it's quite heavy - with power amp and rack case it would weight like combo, but I also have to carry cab for it.

So - the best option for me now is to get a little combo, which can be used both with pedals or with axe.

Now I'm thinking about Blackstar HT-5 and ENGL Gigmaster 15, but ENGL has 10" speaker, I worry about low end response..

That's a little miracle amp,the HT 5..one of the strong points is that it takes effects without any problem.Very lightweight ..there's an article on the wiki pages about the mini stack version.Another strong point it has the features of a full stage amp..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:51 AM