2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Need Help With Jazz
DRBguitar09
Aug 19 2007, 09:33 AM
GMC:er
Hey Ben I've been wanting to join my schools jazz band for a while on guitar but i really dont have any idea where to start.. i do have some jazz theory becuase ive played jazz trumpet for about four years or so but with guitar i just dont really know where to begin...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Aug 19 2007, 08:46 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Hello DRBguitar09!

This is a tough one.

Jazz is very different to other styles of music. Its is heavily based on chord change and modulation (changing to another key).

When soloing it is standard practice to 'play the changes' i.e. aiming for chord tones. That way people can hear the chords being spelt out in your soloing as the chords go by.

You cant get by by approaching jazz soloing as you would in rock, much of rock music is diatonic (belonging to a key) and thus it is common to use just one scale for soloing-namely minor pentatonic or Aeolian mode (extension of minor pentatonic).

Thus you have to know your scales inside out, in ALL keys.

Jazz harmony (chords and progressions) are based on the ii-V-I sequence. This is the two chord, the 5 chord and the root chord of any key.

So in C major that would be Dmin7-G7-Cmaj7.

Note that the chords are all '7th' (minor major and dominant)-you dont see many triads (3 note chords) in jazz, as a general rule.

For starters i would buy a 'Real book'. This is a book with all the popular standards in and it will show you the chord symbols commonly used-look out for the ii-V-I progression. You will also see liberal use of altered tones-chords with a raised or flat 5 or 9 i.e. Gb9b5, Dmin7b5, G7#9 etc.

Check out my first jazz lesson which will hopefully reinstate some of the info ive given here.

Hope this helps,

-Ben

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
DRBguitar09
Aug 19 2007, 09:46 PM
ok thanks for the help i will

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Aug 19 2007, 11:06 PM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Hi DRBguitar,

Something ive got to add is to practise chords.
Most of your work in a jazz band will be 'comping' (backing chords to sax etc) so you have to be able to read standard chord changes and know all the: 'd.s. al coda' signs etc.

Good luck with it-jazz is an exciting road to take!

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 20 2007, 12:31 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
+1 for the need to know I VI II V I.

Also in a big jazz band when you comp on a guitar you often do not play the full voicing for the chord. Because jazz uses extended chords so much comping in a big band often involves accentuating/underlining the extension by comping on the top four/five strings and leaving the root note to the bass player. If you have enough time maybe look in to/brush up in voice leading harmonisation.

For solos as Ben says you really do need to know your scales inside and out. Knowing the arpeggios that relate to particular chords is also a big help. A great example - but one that is bloody hard to pull off (at least I fond it bloody hard) - is Coltraine's Giant Steps - fast and with a lot of movement. A really good example of a great guitar playing here is Mike Stern's version. If you have all this down already then think about chord substitutions, rhythm, chromatics, leading tones, articulation, octaving, Lenny Breau type harmonics, sequencing, playing 'outside' and so on - the list goes on and on.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Aug 20 2007, 01:18 AM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Great post Tony, youre absolutely spot on.

Like Tony said, watch out for 'block' chords-the bass players take care of the roots in traditional jazz so you are left to play from the 3rd up, and the extensions.

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 20 2007, 01:54 AM
Thanks Ben - and sorry for butting in.

Here's a link to Giant Steps for any who might not have heard or those who just love listening to it smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Aug 20 2007, 01:59 AM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
No problem Tony, some great information you listed smile.gif

I love that youtube video, must have taken a long time to make!

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 20 2007, 02:07 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (benhowell @ Aug 19 2007, 08:59 PM) *
No problem Tony, some great information you listed smile.gif

I love that youtube video, must have taken a long time to make!

-Ben

Cool song, and amazing video smile.gif I love Jazz, just wish I could play it ... well with a lot of practice I could probably comp ok, but lead? Noooooo!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 20 2007, 02:08 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 20 2007, 02:08 AM
It's good for practicing your sight reading to wink.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Aug 20 2007, 02:12 AM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Andrew-you could play jazz!

I actually find playing lead lines for jazz way easier than for metal etc in essense, maybe not on the fly!

We will get you doing some burning lines! cool.gif

-Ben

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 20 2007, 02:36 AM
+1: jazz chordal stuff is muy dificil. And some of the stretches for extended voicings are, well geting the fingers down and in time laugh.gif ...

Solo comes easier I think if you listen to sax lines a bit and maybe practice those. (Or maybe that's because I'm not so much a guitar player as a frustrated sax player wink.gif )

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 20 2007, 02:44 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 19 2007, 09:36 PM) *
+1: jazz chordal stuff is muy dificil. And some of the stretches for extended voicings are, well geting the fingers down and in time laugh.gif ...

Solo comes easier I think if you listen to sax lines a bit and maybe practice those. (Or maybe that's because I'm not so much a guitar player as a frustrated sax player wink.gif )

Cheers,
Tony

Well, I'm definstely up for it smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 20 2007, 03:23 AM
I'll try and put up a I II VI V I chordal progression on the collaborations Andrew. Not sure when though but hopefully not too long. Then any one interested can have a go at blowing over the changes.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 20 2007, 03:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 20 2007, 04:23 AM) *
I'll try and put up a I II VI V I chordal progression on the collaborations Andrew. Not sure when though but hopefully not too long. Then any one interested can have a go at blowing over the changes.

Cheers,
Tony

Thumbs up for that Tony!!!!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 20 2007, 03:49 AM
Just don't hold your breath waiting - I'm notorious for taking my time (ok for procrastinating) tongue.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

Just don't hold your breath waiting - I'm notorious for taking my time (ok for procrastinating) tongue.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 20 2007, 04:01 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 19 2007, 10:23 PM) *

Cheers,
Tony

Cool smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
DRBguitar09
Aug 20 2007, 04:54 AM
thanks for all the help guys.. any suggestions on what books i could get to help me understand more clearly cuz some of this is overwhelming at times and its still hard for me to get the universal picture of how everything works...

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Aug 20 2007, 05:34 AM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
There are some fantastic books on jazz by Jody Fisher, published by the guitar workshop.

Some of the best books i have come across on jazz.

The thing you have to remember is that all of this is based on western music, jazz, fusion (mainly), and rock. The thing that differentiates the styles is:

-Rhythm
-Harmony/Chord progressions
-Chord types
-Dynamics
-Tone
-Soloing/scale choice

These are the things that generally define a genre. The key is just adopting your approach to each genre.

-Ben

This post has been edited by benhowell: Aug 20 2007, 05:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
DRBguitar09
Aug 20 2007, 12:16 PM
ok thanks i wiil def. check them out smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:44 PM