Warrior Bushido Task 28
Ben Higgins
Aug 3 2012, 10:21 AM
Instructor
Are you ready, warriors ?? It's been a while since I really pushed you hard with a Task, so it's time to prove your worthiness to The Temple. Ignore the snow. Ignore the ice. Ignore the cold wind gusting in your face. Nothing is a threat for you and your guitars !! cool.gif

Task 28: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Marty-Friedman-Rocks/

Don't worry - I only want you to learn up to the first 19 seconds ! It's a lot of complex phrasing to learn so we're only going to do half of it.

Who knows, maybe if you guys are up to it, we'll do the second half next week.....?

Anyway, I wanted to give you a challenge that makes you put wild, big bends up against quick little legato runs with strong vibrato making a regular appearance. The timing is also quite free in Friedman's style so the advice I always give is to tune your hearing into the strongest tones and try to match the timing up with my version and then the all the little notes in between should take care of themselves..

I know you guys can do this - enjoy ! smile.gif

Deadline is next Friday 10th August and the punishment for missing it will be so bad I can't even write it here..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 3 2012, 06:38 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Holy smokes! That is an awesome lesson. Can't wait to try it out.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Aug 4 2012, 03:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
okay, not to much alt.picking
I am going to give this a shot
however ,just from memorizing this, I can tell my fingers are going to be sore from these bends

your are probably geting a kick out of this ,aren't you
wax on, wax off

p.s. this would be a lot easier with 9's

and to top it off, a paper cut on my index finger( freting hand)- nothing shall stop me ------------------------------------my master

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Aug 4 2012, 03:35 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 4 2012, 05:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Aug 4 2012, 03:22 PM) *
your are probably geting a kick out of this ,aren't you
wax on, wax off

What sort of person do you think I am ??

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 6 2012, 07:03 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Here is my take. I'm sure it needs a lot of work but should get better as I work on the second half. Friedman is one of my favorite guitar players so this is awesome to work on. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 7 2012, 08:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 6 2012, 07:03 PM) *
Here is my take. I'm sure it needs a lot of work but should get better as I work on the second half. Friedman is one of my favorite guitar players so this is awesome to work on. smile.gif

Oh man, loving this ! It's so cool to finally hear someone else play it cool.gif

Just a couple of bits to work on with timing the phrases, I would say. Firstly, that sudden bend at 0:08 needs to end a bit earlier to allow another note to fit in on the next phrase.

The descending legato phrases at 0:17 are a bit late, which means by the time you get to the pull off at the end, it's quite behind.

Apart from those little things, the technique and delivery is Grrrrrreat ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 8 2012, 04:07 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 7 2012, 07:21 AM) *
Oh man, loving this ! It's so cool to finally hear someone else play it cool.gif

Just a couple of bits to work on with timing the phrases, I would say. Firstly, that sudden bend at 0:08 needs to end a bit earlier to allow another note to fit in on the next phrase.

The descending legato phrases at 0:17 are a bit late, which means by the time you get to the pull off at the end, it's quite behind.

Apart from those little things, the technique and delivery is Grrrrrreat ! cool.gif

That is cool to hear. smile.gif It is probably the most difficult lesson I have tried. The second half sounds even more challenging (those last 10 seconds looks like a beast). Thanks for the pointers, I will get those bits squared away.

I see the second half of the lesson also has some more wild bends. Not sure yet what to do about those 24 fret bends though, as my options are a 21 or 22 fret guitar. I suppose I could bend on the 12th fret instead?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 8 2012, 08:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 8 2012, 04:07 AM) *
I see the second half of the lesson also has some more wild bends. Not sure yet what to do about those 24 fret bends though, as my options are a 21 or 22 fret guitar. I suppose I could bend on the 12th fret instead?

I guess you could just repeat the 21st or 22nd bend again in the same pacing as the bends happen. That way it'll be easier to go to the next widdly phrase from there rather than go from 21st fret back down to 12th and then up again. Man, are you going to go for it do you think ?? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 8 2012, 02:49 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 8 2012, 07:54 AM) *
Man, are you going to go for it do you think ?? biggrin.gif

The frosty winds of the Temple have been cold.... there is no turning back now.

I could use a morsel to replenish my energy.... something like a donut? biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 8 2012, 03:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 8 2012, 02:49 PM) *
The frosty winds of the Temple have been cold.... there is no turning back now.

I could use a morsel to replenish my energy.... something like a donut? biggrin.gif

Haha, of course ! How could I forget ??

1 Donut is officially yours biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Aug 9 2012, 08:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Awesome take Degroot! This is where I'm trying to go but I'm not there yet.

Also, you're closing in on GrindGuer with the donuts. Starting to come down to the wire. Any thoughts on possible assignments yet should you close the deal? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Aug 9 2012, 09:03 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Aug 9 2012, 07:34 PM) *
Awesome take Degroot! This is where I'm trying to go but I'm not there yet.

Also, you're closing in on GrindGuer with the donuts. Starting to come down to the wire. Any thoughts on possible assignments yet should you close the deal? smile.gif

I have some vacations coming up so I will probably end up a little short of donut king.

Hmm, haven't thought about the assignments. I was wondering though what someone will come up with. smile.gif

How does that work, Ben? Since we have Intermediate, Warrior, and Master Higgins. Does the Donut King pick one lesson for all or three different ones for each level?

PS. Great recent REC takes Greg. Always enjoy hearing your smooth playing. THAT is something I'm striving for!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 10 2012, 08:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Aug 9 2012, 08:34 PM) *

He is closing in.. we better watch out ! ohmy.gif

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Aug 9 2012, 09:03 PM) *
I have some vacations coming up so I will probably end up a little short of donut king.

Hmm, haven't thought about the assignments. I was wondering though what someone will come up with. smile.gif

How does that work, Ben? Since we have Intermediate, Warrior, and Master Higgins. Does the Donut King pick one lesson for all or three different ones for each level?

Well GG hasn't been around for a while so there's still a chance yet that you too will be battling for Donut King !

Nah, just 1 assignment for us all... and I'm certainly no master !! laugh.gif Depending on what day you get me (and what genre) I'm hovering between Apprentice and Warrior myself wink.gif

+Quote Post
gregc1
Aug 10 2012, 03:11 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Degroot, thanks for the kind words brother!

I haven't had a donut in a while so I'm going to need to tighten up and get back in this. The last few tasks have not gone too well for me but I'm still there. Looking to come back strong with the Billy Gibbons blues. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 10 2012, 04:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Aug 10 2012, 03:11 PM) *
Degroot, thanks for the kind words brother!

I haven't had a donut in a while so I'm going to need to tighten up and get back in this. The last few tasks have not gone too well for me but I'm still there. Looking to come back strong with the Billy Gibbons blues. cool.gif

That's the spirit Greg !! Will be good to have you burnin' up The Temple walls again with your solos ! cool.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:33 AM