Realistic Versus Determination
Enucleation
Apr 30 2010, 07:02 AM
GMC:er
So my band has taken off a bit on a local level and it's been fun indeed, but the second guitarist is getting all... eh.

Lately he's been so obsessed with trying to get a record deal, God knows we aren't ready to be worrying about this stuff. I mean bands twice as good as us out there aren't even close to being signed.

I'm a realist, its pretty much 99.99% luck in getting signed and I can't get it through this dude's head.

So this seems like a good topic for debate. Do you think it's better to be realistic or to be determined (for lack of better words)?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zen
Apr 30 2010, 08:16 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
It's better to be realistic AND determined.
There will always be better bands out there who are not signed. It would be wise not to continue to compare yours with them.
Every band has a different flavour.
Do you really think that all the signed bands out there are better than the ones struggling to get a deal?

I'm a realist too but agree with your second guitarist. In order to be eligible for that 99.99% luck, you gotta be in it, rather than step aside for the bands who are better than you to get a deal first smile.gif

If you're not confident in your material or it needs more work, then it's a different story.

Just my 50 cents smile.gif

edit: Oh and congrats on your band taking off smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by zen: Apr 30 2010, 08:19 AM

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Apr 30 2010, 08:40 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
I totally agree with zen here. Sure it comes down to lots of luck, but you can work for your luck. So who cares if there are better bands out there. Chances are that the people who know your band don't know these "better" bands. I've seen so many newcomer bands on festivals that were way better than the big bands but never made the breakthrough until now, so I really think you need luck. And connections...

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 30 2010, 02:09 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Realistically Determined. You have to want it more than anything else, But you must know your limits as people and musicians. (As In you don't want to sell something you can't do). I think your right about the luck thing, But at the same time you got to promote the hell out of yourselves too. You need a good balance of the two, the stubborn persistent mindset of determination, with the planning and strategies of a realist.

Thats what I think at least.

+Quote Post
relaxenjoy
Apr 30 2010, 02:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
+1 to what's already been said and..

What do you as a band want to do?

If you guys want to think about getting a deal and trying to get bigger, do it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Apr 30 2010, 04:49 PM
Instructor
I'd say it's not a good idea to put yourself down before hand.

Fame is achieved through media, so focusing on getting that might be a good idea,

You can't really tell what the future holds for you so why stopping trying even before starting?

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Apr 30 2010, 06:29 PM
Instructor
+1 on all, try to go for it man!
(and when u are huge take my band to open for yours biggrin.gif )

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 1 2010, 01:32 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmmm If you're band has all the thing it needs to get signed - name, enough for album original songs, gigs etc I don't see why you shouldn't look for a deal with a record label. I also don't think its 99% luck with those deals at all. It will only be 99% luck if a band does absolutely nothing about looking for a record deal and record label spots them and offers deal on their own wink.gif If you guys don't think you are ready - don't have enough songs for first album or want to make better ones then its ok to be pessimistic. But if you have the songs, why not get signed. Demo band can do only some little things and then hits the wall (getting signed or not)...You have to try to find a record deal, speak to different labels etc send press kits until you make one. Good stuff will come only after you have your first official album out.

All in all, I think one has to Believe in music and what he plays and then be determined to go to successes. And the only way there is self motivation and promotion and knocking on different doors.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:12 AM