5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Who's The Better Thrash Guitarist?
Who's The Better Thrash Guitarist??
Dave Mustaine and James Hetfield are no doubt 2 of the best Thrash guitarist of all time.Which one do you think has made better guitar riifs or songs over the past 20 years.
Dave Mustaine [ 49 ] ** [59.76%]
James Hetfield [ 33 ] ** [40.24%]
Which is the better Vocalist?
James Hetfield [ 60 ] ** [73.17%]
Dave Mustaine [ 22 ] ** [26.83%]
Total Votes: 82
Guests cannot vote 
Fabian Schulz
Nov 22 2007, 11:12 PM
Instructor
I don't like megadeth at all ... so i voted for james wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550, Squier Showmaster Jimmy Shine Signature

Amps: Marshall G30R CD Combo, Marshall MG100HDFX Halfstack

Pedals: Digitech DF-7, Boss RC-2, Dunlop Cry Baby

Wishlist: Brunetti XL R-Evo II or Brunetti Mercury EL34 and a Fabian Schulz Signaturemodel by Ibanez :D

Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Nov 22 2007, 11:26 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 22 2007, 10:25 AM) *
James Hetfield! I reffer his voice and if we are talking about riffs (not solo guitar technique) I chose him too!! Just listen to master of puppets. smile.gif However I also like Mustaine very much but I always preffered to hear Metallica.

Great answer
You understood my question perfect!The poll is based on the riffs they have made and songs over the past 20 years.This is a tough one to answer isnt it.

QUOTE (VinceG @ Nov 22 2007, 05:09 PM) *
I love simplicity in thrash. The closer it is to having a hardcore punk presence the better for me. Maybe one of the reason I love Anthrax so much.

I definatly see that now ,and it makes sense why you say kill em all is there only real thrash album.My thing though is i dont like punk at all.I guess when you mix so many genr's or music its easy to get confused ''atleast for me''.I've never cared for Anthrax and i think its due mostly to there vocals,but they have made there place in music no doubt . smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
VinceG
Nov 22 2007, 11:53 PM
Thanks shredmandan for seeing my point to this. You could say I'm a bit of an elitist when it comes to this kind of music(metal in general) so forgive me about that. But I thank you for taking the time to understand my thoughts.

This post has been edited by VinceG: Nov 22 2007, 11:54 PM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Nov 25 2007, 09:37 PM
Dave mustaine is more talented than any member of metallica will ever be, end of story.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 25 2007, 10:49 PM
Now that I realize that this is a poll about who has come up with the better more creative riffs, James Hetfield definitely wins it. Wow, just noticed that Dave Mustain had 14 votes for being the better vocalist. huh.gif Theres no way, I mean just listen to ...And Justice for All. James voice is absolutely incredible on that album cool.gif I think Dave only sounds good on a few songs.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Nov 25 2007, 11:09 PM
James hetfeild sounds generic, his riffs sound generic. daves voice has an edge to it, like a man on the edge, i love it.

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Nov 25 2007, 11:10 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
swingline
Nov 25 2007, 11:23 PM
James witthout a doubt is a better composer, and vocalist. I think people aren't reading the whole instructions and voting on guitarist ability too. Dave is good and all but he is also a jerk.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 25 2007, 11:24 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Nov 25 2007, 10:49 PM) *
Now that I realize that this is a poll about who has come up with the better more creative riffs, James Hetfield definitely wins it. Wow, just noticed that Dave Mustain had 14 votes for being the better vocalist. huh.gif Theres no way, I mean just listen to ...And Justice for All. James voice is absolutely incredible on that album cool.gif I think Dave only sounds good on a few songs.

Different people got different opinions. I personally cant stand Hetfields voice, except for Kill 'em all. Actually I dont really like anything from Metallica after Kill 'em all. I think Megadeth is much better, but thats just me.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 25 2007, 11:24 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Nov 25 2007, 04:09 PM) *
James hetfeild sounds generic, his riffs sound generic. daves voice has an edge to it, like a man on the edge, i love it.

Well everyone has different oppinions, but how can you say that the riffs from Metallica's first four albums sound generic? Metallica was one of the pioneers of metal, and therefore had some very original riffs at the time.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 26 2007, 12:50 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (swingline @ Nov 25 2007, 02:23 PM) *
Dave is good and all but he is also a jerk.

First off, you dont know him, thats a bit harsh judgement dont you think? (no offense intended)

second off, i dont know why he would be called a jerk, he went through rehab, straightened out his life, and is back on the right track, sure, he may have been a jerk, but i have much respect and admiration for this man and how he got back on the right path, Its never an easy thing to do, im glad he came out standing and came out on top with megadeth. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 26 2007, 01:01 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 22 2007, 03:05 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I've never hear John singing trash metal but he plays Master of Puppets perfect... laugh.gif

That's true, Dream Theater did a cover of the whole Master Of Puppets album. They did several other album covers also, you have to order them off of a website though.

+Quote Post
Owen
Nov 26 2007, 01:04 AM
I still find Dave's new found love of Christianity a bit wierd, the whole getting Rotting Christ kicked off the Greece dates was very harsh considering their music only acts primarily as some Satanic gimmick, not anything serious. blink.gif

And the whole Pastor following him around on tour thing was also a bit nuts, anarchaic rockstar joining the biggest organisation in the world doesnt quite do it for me mellow.gif

Having said that, I watched the Metallica documentary "Some Kind Of Monster" and could not get over how shallow and ignorant they portrayed themselves to be, I was thinking "are these guys for real?".

Both decent bands though, dont get me wrong, I just find some of their personalities a bit dislikable.

This post has been edited by Owen: Nov 26 2007, 01:09 AM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 26 2007, 01:08 AM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Nov 25 2007, 03:37 PM) *
Dave mustaine is more talented than any member of metallica will ever be, end of story.

That isn't a very good statement, because nobody knows (well probably very few people know) any artists full potential.

QUOTE (Robin @ Nov 25 2007, 05:24 PM) *
Different people got different opinions. I personally cant stand Hetfields voice, except for Kill 'em all. Actually I dont really like anything from Metallica after Kill 'em all. I think Megadeth is much better, but thats just me.

That's very true everyone has their own opinions about everything, no matter what the subject is.

+Quote Post
Owen
Nov 26 2007, 01:08 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 25 2007, 04:05 PM) *
That isn't a very good statement, because nobody knows (well probably very few people know) any artists full potential.

I agree here, if music was all about talent and complexity then we wouldnt have bands like the Beatles etc, Music doesnt have to be complicated for people to like it and for it to be good. smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 26 2007, 01:11 AM
QUOTE (Owen @ Nov 26 2007, 01:08 AM) *
I agree here, if music was all about talent and complexity then we wouldnt have bands like the Beatles etc, Music doesnt have to be complicated for people to like it and for it to be good. smile.gif

I agree. Infact, I dont even like complicated music smile.gif
To me, technical skills mean NOTHING in music, but for others it might mean alot.

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 26 2007, 01:17 AM
QUOTE (Owen @ Nov 25 2007, 07:08 PM) *

Exactly and thank you for your response to extent information on my statement.

QUOTE (Robin @ Nov 25 2007, 07:11 PM) *
I agree. Infact, I dont even like complicated music smile.gif
To me, technical skills mean NOTHING in music, but for others it might mean alot.

I see your point. Not being technical doesn't mean you suck at guitar, there are people who probably play very simple music but if they showed more interest in being a technical guitarist they could probably show they have amazing talent in that field also.

I do love technical music though, but I also love music where no technical talent is shown.

Oh yeah by the way, all Mustaine fans might enjoy his new section in Guitar World. His first lesson can be found in the newest issue. I believe he will be doing lessons every month for the magazine now along with Slash and Michael Angelo Batio who have been contributing to Guitar World for quite a while now.

+Quote Post
Robin
Nov 26 2007, 01:18 AM
QUOTE (Unleash-The-Shred @ Nov 26 2007, 01:14 AM) *
I see your point. Not being technical doesn't mean you suck at guitar, there are people who probably play very simple music but if they showed more interest in being a technical guitarist they could probably show they have amazing talent in that field also.

I do love technical music though, but I also love music where no technical talent is shown.

Its the sounds that comes out of the guitar that matters, not the level of difficulty.

In my opinion BB King kicks every shredders ass with using three notes.

+Quote Post
PacmanProduction...
Nov 26 2007, 01:24 AM
100th vote!!! im a big megadeth fan so i picked dave for both

--------------------
You don't play the guitar, You play the music....

My Stuff:
Greg Bennett Avion
Peavey Rage 158
Zoom G1X Multi-effect Foot Pedal

My Wishlist!!!!
Ibanez JEM (any)
Herman Li's Sound Enhancement Pedal
a new acoustic
XBOX 360 Elite BABY!

My Myspace: www.myspace.com/pacman12494

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 26 2007, 03:23 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Owen @ Nov 25 2007, 04:04 PM) *
And the whole Pastor following him around on tour thing was also a bit nuts, anarchaic rockstar joining the biggest organisation in the world doesnt quite do it for me mellow.gif

Well, dont let his religion deter you from liking his music (doesnt seem like it is).

+Quote Post
swingline
Nov 26 2007, 04:27 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Nov 25 2007, 03:50 PM) *
First off, you dont know him, thats a bit harsh judgement dont you think? (no offense intended)

second off, i dont know why he would be called a jerk, he went through rehab, straightened out his life, and is back on the right track, sure, he may have been a jerk, but i have much respect and admiration for this man and how he got back on the right path, Its never an easy thing to do, im glad he came out standing and came out on top with megadeth. smile.gif

I'm sorry you are correct he WAS sort of a jerk at one time but you have a point. I appeal my decision and modify it to,
Although he has made many decision I cannot agree with, he has corrected most of them and become a much better man.

But I still do find him a little aggressive towards other musitions.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:12 AM