> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Bleez's Mentoring Thread
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 6 2012, 11:17 AM
Instructor
Hey Scott! Welcome to your very own personal mentoring thread wink.gif please tell me a bit about your goals and musical knowledge so far smile.gif and we can rock!

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 6 2012, 04:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thanks Cosmin, didnt expect to have my own thread, kinda scary smile.gif

I used to play rhythm guitar in a band, in the style of metallica. Basically I just chugged away with power chords. My lead playing is quite basic.
Ive recently began working on the positions of the minor pentatonic, but Im not quite sure what I will do with it once I have got them all learned. So my knowledge of scales is quite poor.
Ive never followed any type of structured practice routine and I usually try to play things to advanced which has caused me to get disheartened and stop in the past.
I think I need a solid practice schedule which allows me to maybe hit some small golas.

I thought I might post up a take of me playing the last half of Alive by Pearl Jam because I know a few of the licks in the final solo ( although I dont play them spot on ) and I'll just improvise over the bits I dont know so you will see exactly where I suck smile.gif

in terms of goals, I would like to be able to play solos from the likes of Gilmour, slash, Iommi. Those are the main guys for me smile.gif I'd also like to be able to write my own solos over backing tracks and not have them suck.

Ive also been working on one of Ivans lessons which Ive almost got to a reasonable level which I could post here if it would help give you an idea of my level.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 6 2012, 09:22 PM
Instructor
Hey again Scott smile.gif well, you might help us a lot into figuring out what's best for ya, if you would post that vid smile.gif it will allow us to work together on a level based program so you can reach your goals. What do you think man?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 6 2012, 11:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
no problem smile.gif
Im working on some way of recording at the moment. Ive not done it before but I'll figure out something!
I'll get some type of a recording posted tomorrow.

Im looking forward to getting started.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 7 2012, 08:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 6 2012, 10:22 PM) *
no problem smile.gif
Im working on some way of recording at the moment. Ive not done it before but I'll figure out something!
I'll get some type of a recording posted tomorrow.

Im looking forward to getting started.

Awesome mate! Let me know if there's anything I might help you with when it comes down to recording smile.gif what sort of software and setup are you using at the moment?

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 7 2012, 09:02 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 7 2012, 07:01 AM) *
Awesome mate! Let me know if there's anything I might help you with when it comes down to recording smile.gif what sort of software and setup are you using at the moment?

Ive downloaded audacity and was going to try and take the line out from my amp straight into the PC, if that doesnt work out I have a laptop with a webcam built in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 7 2012, 11:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 7 2012, 08:02 AM) *
Ive downloaded audacity and was going to try and take the line out from my amp straight into the PC, if that doesnt work out I have a laptop with a webcam built in.

I don't know if audacity works as a DAW as I have never tried it, but for the time being, if you can get a decent sound out of the camera, you can record like that wink.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 7 2012, 04:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Well..... my recording efforts didnt go exactly to plan! I couldnt get my guitar into the PC so I had to settle for using a laptop with a built in webcam dry.gif
I will get a proper device for my next recordings, hopefully I will have a better system of recording by the weekend.

I think the crappy webcam recordings are enough to give you an idea of my limited abilities though Cosmin.

This is one of Ivan's lessons ( original - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Classi...ing_Techniques/ ) - ( Ive had about 2 weeks at this lesson. ) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLu3XI8eiI...eature=youtu.be

My backing track for Alive which I was going to post sounded really poor so I just took a random backing track from youtube and improvised. you probably only need to listen to 60 seconds of it as I get a bit lost after that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VcOsxRhbik

Apologies for the audio and video being out of sync...... I have no idea why that happened but I will get better recordings next time.... promise!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2012, 10:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 7 2012, 03:50 PM) *
Well..... my recording efforts didnt go exactly to plan! I couldnt get my guitar into the PC so I had to settle for using a laptop with a built in webcam dry.gif
I will get a proper device for my next recordings, hopefully I will have a better system of recording by the weekend.

I think the crappy webcam recordings are enough to give you an idea of my limited abilities though Cosmin.

This is one of Ivan's lessons ( original - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Classi...ing_Techniques/ ) - ( Ive had about 2 weeks at this lesson. ) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBLu3XI8eiI...eature=youtu.be

My backing track for Alive which I was going to post sounded really poor so I just took a random backing track from youtube and improvised. you probably only need to listen to 60 seconds of it as I get a bit lost after that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VcOsxRhbik

Apologies for the audio and video being out of sync...... I have no idea why that happened but I will get better recordings next time.... promise!

Hey Scott! Looks like you got one cool tattoo there biggrin.gif I want a lot for myself, but I always postpone doing this, it seems sad.gif no worries for the recordings, for the time being they are enough to help us out smile.gif

Well, your bending skills need a bit of a workout from what I am seeing here and I wanted to ask you, how much time can you dedicate to guitar playing each week? T'would help out so I know how to schedule stuff for ya.

Anyway, judging by your preferences and goals, I'd say we should combine, theory (this involves scales/ arpeggios/ chords and relationships between them) with rhythm and articulation for starting out smile.gif

Based on your schedule, I'll make up a routine smile.gif just let me know

al lthe best

Cosmin

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 8 2012, 12:17 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 8 2012, 09:54 AM) *
Hey Scott! Looks like you got one cool tattoo there biggrin.gif I want a lot for myself, but I always postpone doing this, it seems sad.gif no worries for the recordings, for the time being they are enough to help us out smile.gif

Well, your bending skills need a bit of a workout from what I am seeing here and I wanted to ask you, how much time can you dedicate to guitar playing each week? T'would help out so I know how to schedule stuff for ya.

Anyway, judging by your preferences and goals, I'd say we should combine, theory (this involves scales/ arpeggios/ chords and relationships between them) with rhythm and articulation for starting out smile.gif

Based on your schedule, I'll make up a routine smile.gif just let me know

al lthe best

Cosmin

I do like my tattoo! it took me about 18 months to get completed but I had wanted a full sleeve for years so it was worth all the hassle.

Im not surprised you picked out my bends! they can be very 'random'. huh.gif Its not the best when you want to be dave gilmour!

Time wise I can 100% commit to 45 minutes at least Monday to Friday. At the weekends I have no real time constraints so I can practice much longer. I could practise 3 - 4 hours or whatever at the weekend.... as I have no social life biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 8 2012, 03:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 8 2012, 11:17 AM) *
I do like my tattoo! it took me about 18 months to get completed but I had wanted a full sleeve for years so it was worth all the hassle.

Im not surprised you picked out my bends! they can be very 'random'. huh.gif Its not the best when you want to be dave gilmour!

Time wise I can 100% commit to 45 minutes at least Monday to Friday. At the weekends I have no real time constraints so I can practice much longer. I could practise 3 - 4 hours or whatever at the weekend.... as I have no social life biggrin.gif

Alright! Well, let's divide the 45 minutes into 15 minutes for warming up and 30 minutes to work on a lesson based on the things you want to learn during the week.

During the weekend, we can put in some ear training and theory, plus recording your efforts during the week smile.gif

I am thinking of making up a list of lessons for you smile.gif so tell me, would you be up for tackling 4 lessons a month?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 8 2012, 06:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 8 2012, 02:25 PM) *
I am thinking of making up a list of lessons for you smile.gif so tell me, would you be up for tackling 4 lessons a month?

Cosmin

Yes, I am totally up for that. Bring it on biggrin.gif

I dont really know what ear training involves but I know I need some!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 9 2012, 08:51 AM
Instructor
Hey Scott! I'd suggest these two for the rest of this month:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-solo-beginner/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Phrase-Book-Pre-Bends/

they are articulation oriented wink.gif and they should give you a pretty good start in what regards bending and vibrato

what do you think man?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 9 2012, 10:56 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 9 2012, 07:51 AM) *
Hey Scott! I'd suggest these two for the rest of this month:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-solo-beginner/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Phrase-Book-Pre-Bends/

they are articulation oriented wink.gif and they should give you a pretty good start in what regards bending and vibrato

what do you think man?

Cosmin

the bending in both of those are ummm 'intimidating' huh.gif

both are really cool, I'll make a start tonight. cheers dude.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 9 2012, 05:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 9 2012, 09:56 AM) *
the bending in both of those are ummm 'intimidating' huh.gif

both are really cool, I'll make a start tonight. cheers dude.

Cheers man! No trouble, let me know if they are ok, if not, we can find something easier smile.gif k?

all the best

Cosmin

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 12 2012, 09:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hey dude, Ive learned Ben's pre bend lesson and just need to keep playing it to get it sounding better but my plan is to record it at the weekend to let you have a listen.
I just wanted to ask how you think I should spend this weeks practice time?
should I devote each session this week playing / improving Ben's lesson or should I start learning the other lesson as well?
or should I work on Ben's lesson and continue with the minor pentatonic positions and begin the other lesson next week?

biggrin.gif
as you can probably tell I get worried that I practice wrong!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 13 2012, 10:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 12 2012, 08:47 PM) *
hey dude, Ive learned Ben's pre bend lesson and just need to keep playing it to get it sounding better but my plan is to record it at the weekend to let you have a listen.
I just wanted to ask how you think I should spend this weeks practice time?
should I devote each session this week playing / improving Ben's lesson or should I start learning the other lesson as well?
or should I work on Ben's lesson and continue with the minor pentatonic positions and begin the other lesson next week?

biggrin.gif
as you can probably tell I get worried that I practice wrong!

Man, focusing on fewer things will always make it easier to learn/ understand/ assimilate - so, I say make Ben's lesson sound as good as you can and continue with the pentatonic positions till next week - a lesson a week is awesome, trust me smile.gif especially if you can master it wink.gif

if there are any questions, please let me know, k?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 13 2012, 02:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 13 2012, 09:02 AM) *
Man, focusing on fewer things will always make it easier to learn/ understand/ assimilate - so, I say make Ben's lesson sound as good as you can and continue with the pentatonic positions till next week - a lesson a week is awesome, trust me smile.gif especially if you can master it wink.gif

if there are any questions, please let me know, k?

Cosmin

okay boss, that makes sense, thanks. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 14 2012, 09:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 13 2012, 01:00 PM) *
okay boss, that makes sense, thanks. smile.gif

Always happy to help out, man!

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 17 2012, 09:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
hey bro
I have that recording of Ben's pre bend lesson. Its not perfect but I didnt want to do too many recordings today incase I started playing it worse!
Keen to hear what you think.

http://soundcloud.com/bleez666/pre-bend-ex1

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:01 AM