2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Am I Ready To Join A Band?
eddie!!!!
Jan 1 2009, 11:47 PM
GMC:er
i have been playing guitar for a little over a year now and im about to turn 19. i always wanted to play in a band so how do i now when im good enough and am i running out of time?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 1 2009, 11:53 PM
Well, you can sign up for the Virtual Bands that are going to kick off this month! Either advanced, intermed or beginner. You'll see what you level is and what each band requires as playing level.

Or post on YT, myspace etc. Show us what you've got! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 2 2009, 01:22 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Indeed, record yourself (which is also a great way to improve your playing). And you are definitely not too old or time is running out ..... I only joined my first band about 5 months ago whilst being already pathetically old (33 tongue.gif).

You just have to do what makes you happy, whether you are 'too old, too young, too inexperienced etc' according to others or not smile.gif. There are many people around who are teaming up to form a band being relatively unexperienced, so there are plenty of options in the (near) or distant future.

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 2 2009, 01:25 AM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
jer
Jan 2 2009, 01:26 AM
I'm 36 and will be trying out for the 2nd guitar slot in an active local band next month.

You're never too old to RAWK!!!!!

\m/ \m/

Why do you ask this? Do you think you are not ready?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jan 2 2009, 01:27 AM
Im about to turn 40 and you think youre too old... tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 2 2009, 01:37 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Jan 2 2009, 01:27 AM) *
Im about to turn 40 and you think youre too old... tongue.gif

Pfew, I am not the oldest one in town laugh.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Jan 2 2009, 01:42 AM
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 1 2009, 06:37 PM) *
Pfew, I am not the oldest one in town laugh.gif

You all are spring chickens in my book huh.gif

QUOTE (eddie!!!! @ Jan 1 2009, 04:47 PM) *
i have been playing guitar for a little over a year now and im about to turn 19. i always wanted to play in a band so how do i now when im good enough and am i running out of time?

Yep Just wish I had GMC at 19, the beginner bands are just what it says. If you can play along with a drum beat you are good enough. Great way to get a feel of playing with others.

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Jan 2 2009, 01:44 AM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Freddie Fourfing...
Jan 2 2009, 01:44 AM
I would just bring what you've got; if it fits in with what the rest of the band has and where you collectively want to go, then you should be good to go. If not, try again with someone else. Rinse and repeat until it works. I'm probably over simplifying it, but I'm 45 and I just don't stress out over stuff like I used to. I plan on joining a band when time permits, so if you're late then I'm really late!

By the way, I just realized that you have another two years to go before you can legally buy beer.
19 isn't too old to start anything, unless you're talking about dating 14 year olds.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
ARISTOTLE

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 2 2009, 03:11 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (eddie!!!! @ Jan 1 2009, 11:47 PM) *

Hello!
Well I think you should try getting into a band to find out answer to this question..But as you already have the ambition to play in a band I think you are ready! Because that is the most important thing! If you want to play in a band you will..I know people playing in bands even before playing an instrument for 1 year so there is no general rule..Try to find mates to play with or answer band member looking ads and go to an audition...Finding band can be a "quest" but its really worth it because nothing can replace that feeling..So I suggest you talking to your musician friends about making one or giving and answering band ads to get some auditions...You are ready if you can do a certain task in a band like playing the rhythm or lead guitar...Different bands have different skill needs of course...And no you are not too old to play in a band and its never too late , trust me!

Good luck and please ask if you need any more info on band finding, structure, organization etc...

Cheers

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jan 2 2009, 03:13 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
eddie!!!!
Jan 4 2009, 12:22 AM
thanks guys. all of u kinda inspired me right there lol. but yeah ill definitely start talking to my friends about it and see if i can get something together. my playing is coming along well, now i have to focus on writing music.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jan 4 2009, 12:33 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (eddie!!!! @ Jan 4 2009, 12:22 AM) *
thanks guys. all of u kinda inspired me right there lol. but yeah ill definitely start talking to my friends about it and see if i can get something together. my playing is coming along well, now i have to focus on writing music.

I think you should start/join a band, it's much fun smile.gif
If there's anything you wanna know, need help with etc., just ask smile.gif

+Quote Post
Niko Fran
Jan 4 2009, 12:55 AM
QUOTE (eddie!!!! @ Jan 2 2009, 12:47 AM) *

I'm sixteen and I've been playing for nearly two years, but first learned to write solos about a year ago though. I formed a band with my school mates this august which lasted about 4 months. When it rocked it was good, when we coulndt make it work, it sucked, but they were all my friends so it was easy to jump into. When you see annoncements like "Band is looking for lead guitarist" it can be hard to respond, as you dont know which level they are at or if the chemestry is right, so my advice is to form a band with your friends. Its good fun, and you'll get the chance to play at some events if you are attending some kind of school, and a great way to get to know people, and I still play on and off with them at events. The tricky part is to find a place where you can have a drumkit though... Good luck with finding a band though.

QUOTE (Freddie Fourfingers @ Jan 2 2009, 02:44 AM) *
By the way, I just realized that you have another two years to go before you can legally buy beer.
19 isn't too old to start anything, unless you're talking about dating 14 year olds.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Heh to bad, you just have to be sixteen in Denmark, 18 for tobacco biggrin.gif Heard a rumor it is 18 now as we're in 2009 now, I hope not :S

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 4 2009, 01:42 AM
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 1 2009, 07:22 PM) *
..... I only joined my first band about 5 months ago whilst being already pathetically old (33 tongue.gif).

Really dude, that's awfully harsh. huh.gif

Edit: j/k

This post has been edited by Toroso: Jan 4 2009, 01:42 AM

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 4 2009, 01:48 AM
Instructor
It's never too late to join a band, and you are still relatively young. Look for musician adds in your area and check out the music scene. Be patient and you will have your chance. Good luck! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
erik
Jan 4 2009, 03:09 PM
If you don't think you're good enough to join a band, why not start your own? That's what I did, and I had only been playing for about two months (and I still hadn't bought my first electric guitar yet, I used an aucostic tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
Dreamcatcher
Jan 4 2009, 05:10 PM
Playing in band Is just plain fun...and motivating. no your never too old well it may be pretty hard playing straight sets at 90 but I betcha it could be done hahaha. I feel joining a band usually adds more excitment to your playing...motivates you to try harder and learn more for the team effort. In my opinion a band is a win win situation really...the hard part is finding the right fit for your style and your personality. A bad fit can be miserable and unfun and will fail a good fit will make you grow and enjoy it all smile.gif

--------------------
" Free Your Mind and Your Axe Will Follow" Vernon Reid (Living Colour)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 4 2009, 06:55 PM
Instructor
If time allows you definitely go for it !
Jamming with other band members is lots of fun, and if you are lucky enough and find people who are beyond your playing level currently you will learn a lot as well, so I say go for it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 4 2009, 09:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (eddie!!!! @ Jan 1 2009, 05:47 PM) *

I think you absolutely should join a band!
That is one of the best way to improve in a fun way. Try to find other musicians a tiny bit better thatn you are and you'll improve in no time!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Jan 4 2009, 09:49 PM
You are always ready to join a band as long as you want to improve imo. Just try to find people that are close to your level, but it's always a bonus if they are a bit better. As stated before, it's the best way to improve. Somehow, just playing with people who are more skilled than you makes you more skilled. Don't ask me how it works, it just does. So yes! Join a band. It's great fun aswell.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 4 2009, 10:38 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Toroso @ Jan 4 2009, 01:42 AM) *
Really dude, that's awfully harsh. huh.gif

Edit: j/k

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Jan 4 2009, 09:49 PM) *
You are always ready to join a band as long as you want to improve imo. Just try to find people that are close to your level, but it's always a bonus if they are a bit better. As stated before, it's the best way to improve. Somehow, just playing with people who are more skilled than you makes you more skilled. Don't ask me how it works, it just does. So yes! Join a band. It's great fun aswell.

I certainly can agree for the full 100% regarding the improvement you will notice once you join a band. There will be certainly moments that you feel that you are not performing good enough (which is often even only noticed by yourself smile.gif), but you just have to transform those moments into motivational positive feelings, which results definitely in an improvement next time. Had many of those moments already in my band smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 4 2009, 10:46 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:05 AM