Picking Style, Affirmation :D
TuckerG
Mar 19 2012, 01:47 PM
GMC:er
Hi Ben! I am curious, I started out learning power chords only doing downstrokes, and every other thing...Now I am learning to alternate pick. I seem to be reading that downstroking is more difficult, but I find the opposite true biggrin.gif I would have thought alternate picking was the more advanced technique, but I have to literally break myself out of downstroking...any comments good sir? smile.gif

-Tucker

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 20 2012, 02:20 PM
Instructor
Hey Tucker... what confused you is that people probably referred to down picking using up more energy and is a lot harder to work up to speed. So, down picking is much more simple as it only requires you to pick one way but when you try to pick faster using down strokes it is harder and that's when people choose alternate picking.

Using alternate picking is more efficient but ultimately is a lot more complex when you start getting into crossing strings etc..

It all depends on what you're using it for as well. Down strokes are great for playing riffs and even for certain lead lines where you want an aggressive sound but when you're playing anything of a moderate speed and crossing over strings it makes more sense to use alternate picking.

However, certain players like James Hetfield of Metallica uses down strokes to play riffs that most guitarists could only do using alternate, because it uses so much stamina. So, if you want to be able to play fast, chuggy metal riffs then increasing your down picking speed is a must. Either way, if you're working on lead, you should delve into the world of alternate and embrace it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
TuckerG
Mar 21 2012, 07:09 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 20 2012, 01:20 PM) *
Hey Tucker... what confused you is that people probably referred to down picking using up more energy and is a lot harder to work up to speed. So, down picking is much more simple as it only requires you to pick one way but when you try to pick faster using down strokes it is harder and that's when people choose alternate picking.

Using alternate picking is more efficient but ultimately is a lot more complex when you start getting into crossing strings etc..

It all depends on what you're using it for as well. Down strokes are great for playing riffs and even for certain lead lines where you want an aggressive sound but when you're playing anything of a moderate speed and crossing over strings it makes more sense to use alternate picking.

However, certain players like James Hetfield of Metallica uses down strokes to play riffs that most guitarists could only do using alternate, because it uses so much stamina. So, if you want to be able to play fast, chuggy metal riffs then increasing your down picking speed is a must. Either way, if you're working on lead, you should delve into the world of alternate and embrace it smile.gif

Absolutely sir, I am almost exclusively focused on alternate picking. I plan on doing your alt picking course after I finish vibrato. Thanks again Ben!! smile.gif Hope your week is going well!

-Tucker

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 21 2012, 09:27 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (TuckerG @ Mar 21 2012, 06:09 AM) *
Absolutely sir, I am almost exclusively focused on alternate picking. I plan on doing your alt picking course after I finish vibrato. Thanks again Ben!! smile.gif Hope your week is going well!

-Tucker

Sounds great... oh, and two very useful and important words for you regards alternate picking...

Todd Simpson !!!

Check out his video chats... you'll learn loads about AP from him, he's a resident AP master ! cool.gif

You're also from The States so you should be able to make his chats on Saturdays smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Mar 21 2012, 09:28 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 22 2012, 12:28 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Mar 21 2012, 04:27 AM) *
Sounds great... oh, and two very useful and important words for you regards alternate picking...

Todd Simpson !!!

Check out his video chats... you'll learn loads about AP from him, he's a resident AP master ! cool.gif

You're also from The States so you should be able to make his chats on Saturdays smile.gif

Well hey! smile.gif Todd here! My ears were burning! smile.gif Thanks for the mention! To get your alternate picking warmed up and to use it in the context of playing heavy/chunky rythm, take a look at the tablature from this lesson. Of course, you can play these using all down strokes as well to work both approaches smile.gif See you sat!

http://bit.ly/gmclesson101

+Quote Post
TuckerG
Mar 26 2012, 04:41 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 21 2012, 11:28 PM) *
Well hey! smile.gif Todd here! My ears were burning! smile.gif Thanks for the mention! To get your alternate picking warmed up and to use it in the context of playing heavy/chunky rythm, take a look at the tablature from this lesson. Of course, you can play these using all down strokes as well to work both approaches smile.gif See you sat!

http://bit.ly/gmclesson101

Ahhhhh! I just saw your reply Todd!!! biggrin.gif Haha, fantastic, thank you sir! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:52 PM