Style Of Blues Vs Rock Lead Playing
Guitar1969
Jul 13 2009, 07:29 PM
GMC:er
I have somewhat of a strange problem. I have been focusing on lead licks and such and becoming fluent in moving between pentatonic boxes. The problem I seem to have is I am stuck in the blues sound. Now don't get me wrong, I love the blues, and I know most rock has blues influences, but it seems like all of my lead improvising and such sounds like the blues and always sounds the same, even when I want it to sound more rock sounding, and even when I try to focus on fitting into the underlying progression. I like to do a lot of repeating patterns and notes, bends and hammer ons, but have not delved into 3 notes per string much. So the question for all of the teachers, pros, etc, is how would you differentiate Blues from Rock sounding leads. My thoughts are that Blues are usually shorter sounding licks. One of my problems is that I am not a fast shredder, and not sure if I will ever be. I do practice speed but have no desire to become a shred player (I'm turning 40 this year) but I do want to be able to play more rock sounding leands. My gut tells me that I need to concetrate on longer patterns and 3 notes per string licks.

Any advice to get me to move toward more rock sounding lead.

Thanks,
Michael

Thanks,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:37 AM