> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Caelumamittendum's Technique Builder
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 12 2013, 09:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 12 2013, 12:20 AM) *
Two new Murises. I've yet to be on the laptop, so no funny guitar face. Sorrieeees! laugh.gif

Howdy Ben - the 75 BPM one is cool! The 100 BPM one is a bit problematic because of your tendency to delay the entrance in each separate phrase - see min 0:13 - am I making sense? biggrin.gif Focus on correcting this wink.gif

Wow - nice touch man! I think you need to develop a little more variation in phrasing, but you are definitely on the right darn track biggrin.gif

Well, there's one more thing - these types of backing tracks are too long and too linear to develop creative playing - I would use them for rehearsing a particular lick, but usually if I want to create, I would consider recording a chord progression from the moment I have a structure in my mind and work my way up from there.

It needs to open up into something different - can you feel that? By this, I mean that the backing is static and it makes your playing feel static too

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 12 2013, 11:06 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 12 2013, 10:12 AM) *
Howdy Ben - the 75 BPM one is cool! The 100 BPM one is a bit problematic because of your tendency to delay the entrance in each separate phrase - see min 0:13 - am I making sense? biggrin.gif Focus on correcting this wink.gif

Wow - nice touch man! I think you need to develop a little more variation in phrasing, but you are definitely on the right darn track biggrin.gif

Well, there's one more thing - these types of backing tracks are too long and too linear to develop creative playing - I would use them for rehearsing a particular lick, but usually if I want to create, I would consider recording a chord progression from the moment I have a structure in my mind and work my way up from there.

It needs to open up into something different - can you feel that? By this, I mean that the backing is static and it makes your playing feel static too

I'll give it a bit more work for sure. I've been jumping back and forth between 75 bpm and 100 bpm. I could of course just play it with a metronome to work it up to speed. I see what you mean though. I tried 50 bpm, by the way...that was a nightmare! I think my problem is the octave in the start of each measure...rythmically. If that makes any sense.

I absolutely do need to develop my phrasing more, but that's why I actually chose this track and why I like these kinda more static tracks. There's not so much going on in regards to chords and so on, so I feel I can focus more on my phrasing than if I had to think: "Oh, here's an Am7...here's an Fmaj9 and then here's an E7 and now it modulates". But I completely agree otherwise! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 12 2013, 04:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm beginning to hate this lesson... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 12 2013, 10:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
I submitted two takes of lessons I have been working on today to the REC program, Beginner solo in D and Jumping Around beginner. (Yeah, I do like Muris' lessons!). They're not completely polished, but I felt confident enough to post them in there. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 13 2013, 10:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 12 2013, 10:06 AM) *
I'll give it a bit more work for sure. I've been jumping back and forth between 75 bpm and 100 bpm. I could of course just play it with a metronome to work it up to speed. I see what you mean though. I tried 50 bpm, by the way...that was a nightmare! I think my problem is the octave in the start of each measure...rythmically. If that makes any sense.

I absolutely do need to develop my phrasing more, but that's why I actually chose this track and why I like these kinda more static tracks. There's not so much going on in regards to chords and so on, so I feel I can focus more on my phrasing than if I had to think: "Oh, here's an Am7...here's an Fmaj9 and then here's an E7 and now it modulates". But I completely agree otherwise! smile.gif

About that octave thing - yes it does make sense wink.gif The 'jump' causes problems, so focus on that jump, ok? I know because I played the lesson myself wink.gif

Regarding the 'staticness' - it is good to be able to have space to develop your phrases and not worry about the changes while composing, but the downside is, that you will get so caught up that you will end meandering aimlessly around the track and waste a lot of time, instead of being focused - this is what was happening to me - I don't know if it's your case tho - how do you feel about this?

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 12 2013, 09:34 PM) *
I submitted two takes of lessons I have been working on today to the REC program, Beginner solo in D and Jumping Around beginner. (Yeah, I do like Muris' lessons!). They're not completely polished, but I felt confident enough to post them in there. smile.gif

On'em, as we speak wink.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 12 2013, 03:12 PM) *
I'm beginning to hate this lesson... laugh.gif

Mate - you are almost there! smile.gif There are very slight timing issues which you should be able to observe if you play against the original recording - they are very little, but I can feel them -they are more like hesitations, if you know what I mean smile.gif Try this idea and let's see how it works, aye?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 13 2013, 10:54 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 13 2013, 11:44 AM) *
About that octave thing - yes it does make sense wink.gif The 'jump' causes problems, so focus on that jump, ok? I know because I played the lesson myself wink.gif

I will! Are we gonna continue with these two or add some new stuff? I will continue to work on all of this though, no problem.

Regarding the 'staticness' - it is good to be able to have space to develop your phrases and not worry about the changes while composing, but the downside is, that you will get so caught up that you will end meandering aimlessly around the track and waste a lot of time, instead of being focused - this is what was happening to me - I don't know if it's your case tho - how do you feel about this?

I do agree, I just don't feel totally comfortable at the moment improvising over too much of a non-static backing track. I know it's good to push boundaries though, of course.

On'em, as we speak wink.gif

Cheers! I know it's back to square one, but hell, I'm sure it's good to build from the ground up.

Mate - you are almost there! smile.gif There are very slight timing issues which you should be able to observe if you play against the original recording - they are very little, but I can feel them -they are more like hesitations, if you know what I mean smile.gif Try this idea and let's see how it works, aye?

I'll try and record that, same with the Muris one. I know that that usually goes much better. It's usually how I go about learning lessons to begin with.

On a side note. I was supposed to start my singing lessons today. I was up early, had breakfast, showered, everything, ready to go... then I bend over and I get stuck! My back started hurting like crazy. I had even gotten over the nervousness and was looking forward to it. I would have been out the door 5 minutes later. Had to cancel. As long as I don't move too much, it's alright, but I'm not singing, standing up, moving around etc. So I cancelled today. Next friday will hopefully be better!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 13 2013, 12:28 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 13 2013, 03:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 13 2013, 11:28 AM) *

Hehe - aside from 0:44 when things sounded blurry - it looks like you are ok with it wink.gif Now focus on fixing that one and record with the backing track - aim to understand the lines well before starting to record - as now you have done a good job, but it needs to be non mechanical, if you get what I am saying. Sometimes, we can imitate but, when we face the idea of playing by ourselves we can't play that perfect because we haven't completely understood the length of some phrases or rests wink.gif Hope I was clear tongue.gif BTW - 0:34 kittie time! biggrin.gif What are doing there human??

Take care of that back, mate - and yes, we will stick to these two until you get them straight, because you are VERY close wink.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 13 2013, 03:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 13 2013, 04:11 PM) *
Hehe - aside from 0:44 when things sounded blurry - it looks like you are ok with it wink.gif Now focus on fixing that one and record with the backing track - aim to understand the lines well before starting to record - as now you have done a good job, but it needs to be non mechanical, if you get what I am saying. Sometimes, we can imitate but, when we face the idea of playing by ourselves we can't play that perfect because we haven't completely understood the length of some phrases or rests wink.gif Hope I was clear tongue.gif BTW - 0:34 kittie time! biggrin.gif What are doing there human??

Take care of that back, mate - and yes, we will stick to these two until you get them straight, because you are VERY close wink.gif

I need to spend 10 minutes practicing those 1 or 2 measures around :44. I've been procrastinating it and I don't know why. I keep forgetting how it goes.

Fair enough. As you have noticed with the RECs I've been working on some stuff on the side as well. I've got another one to put up for the REC program, but I'm not sure if I should wait or not. I'm feeling a bit over-active on the board at the moment... but I'm not sure what the general view on that is. I just want this place to be as active as possible!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 13 2013, 05:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
I just can't remember the last part of this! I can play it on it's own, but as soon as I get to it as part of the lesson I've forgotten what the hell I'm supposed to be playing:

And I can't tell if I'm improving or not with the Muris one:

As for feel and non-mechanicalism( laugh.gif ) in the Walliman lesson. I'm really struggling with it, as I'm not feeling it at all!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Sep 13 2013, 05:33 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 15 2013, 09:21 PM
Instructor
Hey Ben - all I can say is MINOR HESITATIONS in both lessons smile.gif

The Walliman one - if you don't feel it then, that's that smile.gif We can try something else - why not you tell me a bending/ articulation based lesson which you enjoy? The idea is that at this point, you can play it technically well, but it sounds rigid and that is NOT what we want, right?

The Muris one - I think you are ready for the REC zone, although, I felt that little hesitation at about 0:34 smile.gif

What say you?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 15 2013, 10:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 15 2013, 10:21 PM) *
Hey Ben - all I can say is MINOR HESITATIONS in both lessons smile.gif

The Walliman one - if you don't feel it then, that's that smile.gif We can try something else - why not you tell me a bending/ articulation based lesson which you enjoy? The idea is that at this point, you can play it technically well, but it sounds rigid and that is NOT what we want, right?

The Muris one - I think you are ready for the REC zone, although, I felt that little hesitation at about 0:34 smile.gif

What say you?

Cosmin

Sounds cool by me. I liked the Walliman lesson to begin with, but it just hasn't grown on me since then. I'd love to work more on bending and so on though. Let me have a look through some lessons and I'll be back to you.

I'll definitely work more on the Muris and bring it to the REC zone!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 16 2013, 07:29 AM
Instructor
Good plan - bring it on mate!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 16 2013, 11:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
I keep coming back to Muris' lessons, though I've been trying to find some other ones.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-tune-beginner/

Or perhaps this is a good bending workout:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/String-Bending/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 08:32 AM
Instructor
Hey mate - both are good smile.gif I think that you can tackle them both, as in start with one, finish it, record it and take it to the REC zone and then the other in the same way. I think you are a very proficient player and your learning curve is quite a steep one biggrin.gif That's a compliment laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 17 2013, 10:48 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'll get to it then!

Well, I've been down the road before, but I used to play with my whole arm back then, and I've now changed to playing with my wrist, so that was back to square one for starters. Then not having played for years and years properly, plus I used to take some short cuts when practicing and not do it properly. These days there are no short cuts and I don't care if I'm playing level 3 lessons or level 7. I don't feel quite ready to move on to way harder stuff yet though, as I still need too many takes on the easy stuff. I'd like to be able to play all those lessons from the REC fluently every time, not just 4-5 times (then choosing the best take).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 02:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 17 2013, 09:48 AM) *
I'll get to it then!

Well, I've been down the road before, but I used to play with my whole arm back then, and I've now changed to playing with my wrist, so that was back to square one for starters. Then not having played for years and years properly, plus I used to take some short cuts when practicing and not do it properly. These days there are no short cuts and I don't care if I'm playing level 3 lessons or level 7. I don't feel quite ready to move on to way harder stuff yet though, as I still need too many takes on the easy stuff. I'd like to be able to play all those lessons from the REC fluently every time, not just 4-5 times (then choosing the best take).

Ah mate - I see your point, but you have to understand that there are days and days wink.gif You may feel like you can take over the world one day and then another, you are down in the gutter. This is occurring regardless of how great your chops are - but I think that you plan of tackling as many lessons which are a bit under your level is a good one. In this way, you will become stronger and more confident and when the right time comes, you can move on smile.gif Keep me posted with takes and I will help out with everything I can!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 17 2013, 03:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
My bending on my seven string seems so much better than on my strat, on which I just can't get it right. My 7 string is being fixed though. I usually fix and repair everything myself, but this I couldn't get right. Some filing on the saddle of the low B had to be done as well as some floyd rose stuff, which I couldn't for the life of me get right either (as soon as I pulled up the whammy bar it went out of tune, dive bombs were fine...). He said he'd see what he could do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 05:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 17 2013, 02:14 PM) *
My bending on my seven string seems so much better than on my strat, on which I just can't get it right. My 7 string is being fixed though. I usually fix and repair everything myself, but this I couldn't get right. Some filing on the saddle of the low B had to be done as well as some floyd rose stuff, which I couldn't for the life of me get right either (as soon as I pulled up the whammy bar it went out of tune, dive bombs were fine...). He said he'd see what he could do.

Always a good thing to take it to a luthier smile.gif Let me know how it goes wink.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 17 2013, 05:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 17 2013, 06:12 PM) *
Always a good thing to take it to a luthier smile.gif Let me know how it goes wink.gif

Will do. I don't even feel like playing my strat now. It feels so lightweight. 0.09 strings, such low action you could probably just blow some air onto the fretboard and play the notes, but yet it just feels less right than the 7 string.

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:28 PM