Trinity Exams
jammer91
Jul 5 2007, 01:03 PM
GMC:er
Hi there noobs of GMC laugh.gif Kidding!

Its like this... Im 16 years old and i need a certificate in music for any university (regardless of what course im doing). Doing live performance and getting certificates or proof isint recognized, universities want some exam done on your instrument. Now my mom wants me to write the TRINITY exam.

I suck at reading and playing normal notes (not tabs) and so does my theory suck. So my mom decided to find me an instructor who will come how and teach. No, i wont be quitting GMC since theres a lot to learn here thats actually fun, cause the trinity course is boring.

How long do you think it will take for me to write my first Trinity exam (ive only got like 2 more years of school)?

What level do you think universities will recognize (like 1,2,3)?

Are there an other exams that can prove to universities that i play guitar?

Thanks a lot

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 5 2007, 08:40 PM
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Jul 5 2007, 06:03 AM) *

Its like this... Im 16 years old and i need a certificate in music for any university (regardless of what course im doing). Doing live performance and getting certificates or proof isint recognized, universities want some exam done on your instrument. Now my mom wants me to write the TRINITY exam.

I suck at reading and playing normal notes (not tabs) and so does my theory suck. So my mom decided to find me an instructor who will come how and teach. No, i wont be quitting GMC since theres a lot to learn here thats actually fun, cause the trinity course is boring.

How long do you think it will take for me to write my first Trinity exam (ive only got like 2 more years of school)?

Thanks a lot

there is a University in Boston. I think its name is Berklee College of Music (sorry, dont know if College is the same as University). I read info. about them, and you can get a scholarship simply by sending a live performance, they will take a look at it and answer you. No need for SAT's or stuff like that.

That is were i wanna go, but probably after a couple of years, i still have a long way to go.

Check this article from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berklee_College_of_Music

you can find the link to their website in that article.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jul 5 2007, 09:32 PM
That would be pretty sweet to go to a music college.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Jul 5 2007, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Jul 5 2007, 02:32 PM) *
That would be pretty sweet to go to a music college.

yeah man, hopefully after 5 years i might be accepted there.

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Tank
Jul 5 2007, 10:42 PM
GMC Veteran
QUOTE (jammer91 @ Jul 5 2007, 01:03 PM) *

Thanks a lot

I'm presuming you're talking about the Trinity College (London) exams, therefore you are talking about going to a university in the UK.
Just need to clear up something. I also presume that you are talking about going to university to study a music related subject? You obviously won't need to take a music exam to enrole in Chemistry, or Computer Science (or any other unrelated field).

If you want to get into Uni, studying music, you will need to knuckle down and get into it. I suggest that you take GCSE music, (and if possible A Level, or at least a Btec in music). To obtain full marks in the performance side of the GCSE (unless its changed) you'll need to be playing pieces of at least grade 5 standard. At A level, you'll need to be grade 7 standard (playing grade 5 pieces will incur a penalty in performance marks that you'll need to make up in the written test and your composition).

I'm afraid for studying music, for 3 years, just being able to play the instrument really isn't enough. You have to prove that you've got the skills to learn the "language" and apply it. In your first year, you'll take 3 or 4 courses, and perhaps only one of those will be related to your performance skills. If you don't have a grasp of theory and how to at least "muddle through" written notation, you'll fall behind really quickly. Composition classes you will have to show the ability to apply the theory you are learning to develop pieces (a lot of the music you will write will not be anything like the music you enjoy listening to!)

There is a distinct difference between having fun on a guitar and locking yourself in your room till you can play Van Halen, to actually sleeping and breathing music at university for 3 years. At the end of the process, whichever establishment you decide to join will want you leaving as a well rounded musician, employable in a variety of fields. If you just want to learn how to shred, it might not be for you.

However, if I haven't put you off, you'll need to be at least grade 5 by the end of this year, and at least waiting to do grade 7 by the time you are applying. I would also strongly suggest that straight after your grade 5 (practical) you also sit your grade 5 theory exam. Even if you haven't prepared by this stage to get into A level, hopefully the effort over the next couple of years will show on your application.

Alternatively, if you want to concentrate on guitar (and popular music) as a degree, the guitar institute "www.icmp.ac.uk/". I don't think they require you to have sat exams, however they will require an entrance test, and an audition (and I think the piece that you'll need to play will have to be at least Trinity grade 7 level).

It is a great thing to do, but it requires heroic effort. I really hope you take music, and I hope you succeed.

/Tank

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jul 5 2007, 11:04 PM
QUOTE (Tank @ Jul 6 2007, 01:42 AM) *
I'm presuming you're talking about the Trinity College (London) exams, therefore you are talking about going to a university in the UK.
Just need to clear up something. I also presume that you are talking about going to university to study a music related subject? You obviously won't need to take a music exam to enrole in Chemistry, or Computer Science (or any other unrelated field).

If you want to get into Uni, studying music, you will need to knuckle down and get into it. I suggest that you take GCSE music, (and if possible A Level, or at least a Btec in music). To obtain full marks in the performance side of the GCSE (unless its changed) you'll need to be playing pieces of at least grade 5 standard. At A level, you'll need to be grade 7 standard (playing grade 5 pieces will incur a penalty in performance marks that you'll need to make up in the written test and your composition).

I'm afraid for studying music, for 3 years, just being able to play the instrument really isn't enough. You have to prove that you've got the skills to learn the "language" and apply it. In your first year, you'll take 3 or 4 courses, and perhaps only one of those will be related to your performance skills. If you don't have a grasp of theory and how to at least "muddle through" written notation, you'll fall behind really quickly. Composition classes you will have to show the ability to apply the theory you are learning to develop pieces (a lot of the music you will write will not be anything like the music you enjoy listening to!)

There is a distinct difference between having fun on a guitar and locking yourself in your room till you can play Van Halen, to actually sleeping and breathing music at university for 3 years. At the end of the process, whichever establishment you decide to join will want you leaving as a well rounded musician, employable in a variety of fields. If you just want to learn how to shred, it might not be for you.

However, if I haven't put you off, you'll need to be at least grade 5 by the end of this year, and at least waiting to do grade 7 by the time you are applying. I would also strongly suggest that straight after your grade 5 (practical) you also sit your grade 5 theory exam. Even if you haven't prepared by this stage to get into A level, hopefully the effort over the next couple of years will show on your application.

Alternatively, if you want to concentrate on guitar (and popular music) as a degree, the guitar institute "www.icmp.ac.uk/". I don't think they require you to have sat exams, however they will require an entrance test, and an audition (and I think the piece that you'll need to play will have to be at least Trinity grade 7 level).

It is a great thing to do, but it requires heroic effort. I really hope you take music, and I hope you succeed.

/Tank

Sorry you misunderstood me tank. I wanna go to a canadian university and they require a certificate in an art or sport so i choose guitar. They only recognize the certificates issued by trinity college in london. I plan to do a business degree, but to get into university i need to get a certificate from trinity in guitar.

--------------------

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Tank
Jul 5 2007, 11:28 PM
GMC Veteran
No probs, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I'd suggest to find out what level they are looking for. I teach the Trinity syllabus to a couple of students. The certificates go all the way from grade 1 (beginner) to grade 8 (advanced). I'd suspect that most guitarists on here could breeze through the grade 1 cert, and probably the grade 2. If you've been playing for any length of time, you should be able to at least do grade 4 in a year.

/T

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jul 7 2007, 10:12 AM
QUOTE (Tank @ Jul 6 2007, 02:28 AM) *
No probs, sorry about the misunderstanding.

I'd suggest to find out what level they are looking for. I teach the Trinity syllabus to a couple of students. The certificates go all the way from grade 1 (beginner) to grade 8 (advanced). I'd suspect that most guitarists on here could breeze through the grade 1 cert, and probably the grade 2. If you've been playing for any length of time, you should be able to at least do grade 4 in a year.

/T

I aim to do upto grade 5. I have the steel string acoustic, but my guitar instructor bought me the classical nylon string guitar book. A problem is formed. I need the steel string acoustic book to play songs. Not even the trinity institutes have that book, they told me order it from the net

Do you know any sites that i can order the steel string book for trinity?

Can i write the exam for more than one level in November (i plan to do levels 1-2 in November)?

Thanks for you help Tank

QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Jul 6 2007, 12:48 AM) *
yeah man, hopefully after 5 years i might be accepted there.

Looking at your countdown i guess you would only have 5 months left... lol

Do you really believe in the Apocalypse?

--------------------

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10

End World Hunger

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:25 AM