Tube Amp Resonating Problem
firestarter
Dec 30 2007, 06:14 PM
GMC:er
Hi folks!

After a lot of research, I decided to buy my first tube amp a few weeks back - and bought a Laney Lionheart L5T-112 5W.

It's a sweet combo - nice clean and high gain sounds, good build quality, celestion speaker etc. It's built to max out at 5W too, so I'm getting lots of great tone without my neighbours hating me biggrin.gif

My problem is that I'm finding resonance problems with the box when I strike certain notes. Some of the high notes cause a high pitched 'zingy' buzz, and I'm also getting some buzzing with low notes. I tried tightening the screws holding the thing together - but it hasn't helped much.

This isn't an electrical issue - I'm not hearing mains hum or anything like that.

So my questions are:

- Does resonance / buzzing go with the territory for tube combos?
- Any top tips to cure this? The next step I'm considering is taking the back off and checking whether all the components/tubes are correctly seated.
- Should I just take it back to the shop and have them take a look?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2007, 06:21 PM
Instructor
it for your amp to resonate, but if it resonates to much, just return it or try it in a store. ALso try to dampen the hand holder on the top of the amp.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
firestarter
Dec 31 2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks Ivan. This happens even when I damp the handholder. I'll phone the store and see what they say.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jan 1 2008, 05:31 AM
More than likely the tubes are hanging up-side down (typical of small combo amps) which means they are held in their 'sockets' via a metal clasp with springs attached. If the tubes are not perfectly straight up and down the spring from the tube holders can rattle against the tubes themselves (especially for low notes).

When the amp is off take a look back there and make sure the springs aren't touching the tubes. Also, make sure it's not something else in the room (can sometimes trick yah). And finally, if it's still there take it to a shop and tell them the problem, their could be something inside rattling (but I doubt it).

Hope that helps! smile.gif

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 2 2008, 12:20 AM
Instructor
I hate resonating!!!!!! mad.gif

There are too many parts on combo amps that can resonating...
I played Prophesy once through some Fender combo,think it was DeVille or som,
it was killing me,resonating all the time,tried to hold every piece that could be resonating,
couldn't locate it mad.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
napsternova
Jan 3 2008, 03:15 PM
I had the same problem with my Mesa/Lonestar. It was just a bad tube. Replace with new tubes and all is well again.

--------------------
--- Jump in with both feet and hopefully you don't land on your head---

+Quote Post
firestarter
Jan 5 2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I took the amp back to the shop today, and demonstrated the resonance issue to them. They offered to swap it for another one they had instore, so we tried that, but the resonance on that one was worse!

The shop was extremely helpful (Machinehead in Hitchin, UK). They offered to swap my amp for another type, but instead of that I've left the amp with them so they can return to Laney for investigation.

While we were checking out the resonance, one of the guitar tecs touched each tube in turn to damp it - but the resonance continued. Their theory was that (unlike other amps they were familiar with) the Laney appeared to have no damping foam between the power amp chassis and the wooden frame - the resonance seemed to be coming from across the chassis rather than a single source.

I tried the Lionheart against a Tiny terror and an H&K Statesman when I originally bought it, and I found it's tone far superior to these. My ideal outcome to this will be if Laney HQ can make a fix... if not, then I'll have to select another brand - as there's nothing else comparable from Laney.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 12:21 PM