Jes' A Little Eq Goes A Long Way...
The Uncreator
Mar 29 2012, 01:59 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Something cool I discovered a month or so ago and have been abusing regularly. Using the "snapshot" function in iZotope's EQ you can take a picture of your mix before and after and see the results real-time. The white was the mix I am working on now, and the purple is after the "mastering" has been done (EQ, Multiband Dynamics (comp), stereo imaging, and limiting)

Attached Image

Although there is only two small boosts of 1.0 and 1.5 db, comparing the lines you can see how the purple mix has become more even. The low end has come down just a tad because its presence has decreased (at least in a perceived way). Learning more and more that the mix is everything and the mastering is the icing on the headphones (?). smile.gif

I've also come to a rule of thumb for myself, if anything has to be boosted or cut by more than 2.5db, the mix must be redone. I thought years ago it wouldnt matter, but the drastic reduction led to an ungainly clash of frequencies. After a week of experimenting with just mixing, something I usually dont do that long, I have learned a lot. And although It takes me a day or two as opposed to a few hours to mix a song, the end result, which I will post before and afters, is quite excellent smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:18 PM