2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Joe Satriani Vs Steve Vai
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 10 2011, 08:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kalidia @ Dec 10 2011, 07:55 AM) *
The cd i like the most of Vai is " the seventh song" wich is a collection of his ballads. The other songs seems to me that are just a show of technical abilities. I think that the techique he uses is the same of Satch (in fact it is almost the same school, at the beginning Vai teaches Satriani) but Satch has the ablities to make appears his guitar tremendous skill less technical and more song-releated.

It's a good point of view man. Thanks for your thoughts. I don't agree 100% with what you said about Vai's rocker stuff but it's true that Satriani always sounds melodic.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 11 2011, 01:08 AM
Instructor
Vai is a tremendous musician and those strange ways of expression are very personal smile.gif even though there is a 15-20 % of his stuff which I don't enjoy too much, I do agree it's as outstanding as the rest up to 100%

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Dec 14 2011, 04:33 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 8 2011, 04:07 AM) *
I cannot compare the two smile.gif different personalities, different artists, which I love in equal measure wink.gif

I agree with Cosmin, I think they are two differnt and unique styles, each a master in their area. Via uniqueness to me comes more from when he was with Zappa and that is something you have to learn to appreciate I guess. But I would gladly accept the talent for either's little finger...I could use it!

This post has been edited by Michael AC: Dec 14 2011, 04:36 AM

+Quote Post
Gary
Dec 14 2011, 05:56 AM
GMC:er
Overall my vote is for Satch.. many here have said what I believe and that is his music is just more accessible. I really like Vai though.. The visuals he puts on top of his music are amazing..

Cheers!
Gary

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 14 2011, 06:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gary @ Dec 14 2011, 01:56 AM) *
Overall my vote is for Satch.. many here have said what I believe and that is his music is just more accessible. I really like Vai though.. The visuals he puts on top of his music are amazing..

Cheers!
Gary

yes, I heard different opinions about this but I like the "show" side of his art.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 14 2011, 09:32 AM
Instructor
I could say that from the perspective of 'the whole pack' Vai is closer to being complete, having a fantastic display of image, sound and music!

+Quote Post
Kalidia
Dec 14 2011, 05:37 PM
Learning Roadie
I agree with all of you when you said when Vai is en excelent musician, fact is that i've been once at a Vai concert and I initally enjoy it for the first 30-60 minutes on a 2 hours show. The rest of the time i was really bored by his playing and his behaviour on stage, i feel like i was in a circus ! (sad to say that but was true) Been at Vai's concert twice just because i want to give him a second chance, result: same feeling, i was really bored after a while. Never get this feeling on other concert (satch's for example).

My point is, I really like some of the peculiar behaviour of Vai and his music (some of it al least!) but sometimes i think he over exagerate his behaviour and playing, pushing himself to a point where things become un-useful and un-necessary in a musical context.

This is my personal view of him, not want to pass this for the absolute truth or convice someone this is true neither to offend someone smile.gif

This post has been edited by Kalidia: Dec 14 2011, 05:39 PM

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 15 2011, 04:50 AM
Instructor
Steve Vai as a player. As a person...hmm.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:48 PM