2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How To Stay Clean
misha
Aug 28 2007, 02:54 AM
GMC:er
hi pavel,

you re one of my favourite players here at gmc and i thought that your the right one for it!
i ve got problems to play clean..... i think ive got the wrong damp technic....!!!
i hit strings which i dont want to play with my right and sometimes with my left hand!
can you give me some advice how i can practise or can give me some tpps how i can kick it away????
or the better way you could do a lesson on which you shows how to mute strings with the right/left hand while playing....please!???

you re the master of shred guitar.... biggrin.gif

misha

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 28 2007, 04:23 AM
Instructor
misha, thanks a bunch man! smile.gif

The thing is in coordination of your right hand. I had same problem with it but since i started to pay serious attention to my right hand it is gone.

There is a simple rule for muting:

- for example you play a G string -> you mute strings above G (D, A and E) with right hand and strings below G (B and E) with left hand index finger -> since you touch the strings with the bottom of the index finger while playing G string you actually mute it naturally with no extra attention on it.

- practicing scales up and down seriously help with it -> it's the time that makes things perfect so you have to dedicate some time in your practice session to simply playing scales up and down to gain control and accuracy of your right hand

- this should encourage you and it is very true: i am still learning to mute and each day i find myself muting better and better so trust me -> it's all a matter of time and exercises i mentioned above! smile.gif

Please ask more if you think you didn't get something! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
AliMo
Aug 28 2007, 04:33 AM
This is why I love this forum, I always think of things I should ask on the forum when I'm not sitting in front of the computer and as soon as I find myself on the forums I forget about it. Then someone else asks the same question and another person comes out with a great answer. Awesome! Thanks pavel. One more thing though, if I'm playing the low E string does the same thing go for that? Everything below that is with my left hand? And vice versa for the high E string?

--------------------
Guitars: Ibanez RG4EX1 - Schecter Spitfire-6

Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 30W

Effects: PodXT Live

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 28 2007, 04:42 AM
Instructor
Yes, you got it right! Although if you are playing riffs on low E string you don't even hit high strings so you can than only mute strings that are closer to the string you are playing.

Once you get the feeling for that you'll see how simple it is! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
AliMo
Aug 28 2007, 05:10 AM
Ok thanks!

And sorry but a few more questions...... tongue.gif

When muting with your right hand, do you use the back of your palm (like closer to your pinky) or the part of your hand at the end of your thumb?

And when using your left, is it ok to only mute the one string below it? Because I see what you mean about naturally muting that string because your finger goes over it, but it only mutes the one beneath it, not the rest of them. Should I continue with this or practice muting more of them?

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 28 2007, 05:18 AM
Instructor
The right hand mutes with the part which is at the end of the thumb.

Left hand fingers should actually mute at least 2 strings as your index finger is not always 100% vertical on the string so you can touch more than 1 string with the side of the finger!

No problems about the questions. That's why i am here m8!

--------------------

+Quote Post
AliMo
Aug 28 2007, 05:23 AM
Alright thanks a lot, then I guess you won't mind one more. Hehe last one I swear..........

Your saying index finger, does that mean I mute with my index finger regardless of the finger I am actually fretting with. Or do I mute with whatever finger I am using on that string?

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 28 2007, 05:31 AM
Instructor
Well, usually fingers on left hand stay close to each other so you will always be able to mute with index finger. In other cases you will be able to mute with the playing finger smile.gif Trust me - the more you play - the clearer it will become to you! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sillyman
Aug 29 2007, 12:17 AM
Hey pavel
When i use my right hand to mute the strings and im playin on the higher strings , i find that my palm is no longer muting the low e-string which tends to ring out, is there any way to stop this happening?

--------------------
Ibanez sa260 (hell ya)
Ibanez 10 watt amp (hell no)

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Aug 29 2007, 12:27 AM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Use soap biggrin.gif

Sorry Pavel, just realised it was your board, i couldnt resist!

-Ben

This post has been edited by benhowell: Aug 29 2007, 12:28 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 29 2007, 01:09 AM
QUOTE (benhowell @ Aug 28 2007, 07:27 PM) *
Use soap biggrin.gif

Sorry Pavel, just realised it was your board, i couldnt resist!

-Ben

Explain Ben biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 29 2007, 01:17 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 28 2007, 08:09 PM) *
Explain Ben biggrin.gif

How to stay clean? Use Soap laugh.gif I got it!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 29 2007, 01:17 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 29 2007, 01:18 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 28 2007, 08:17 PM) *
How to stay clean? Use Soap laugh.gif I got it!

laugh.gif i feel dumb now laugh.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 29 2007, 01:43 AM
Instructor
Hahahahaha SOAP! biggrin.gif You're welcome here Ben!

sillyman: ever heard of practice??? biggrin.gif Sure you did! It depends on how your right hand moves over strings - watch my recent lessons for angles and you'll be able to see how i mute the strings, especially the Ionian Scale Boxes!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Howell
Aug 29 2007, 01:47 AM
Jazz/Fusion Instructor
Sorry-it really wasnt funny dry.gif

It was impulse!

Carry on with your helpful info Pavel!

-Ben

This post has been edited by benhowell: Aug 29 2007, 01:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sillyman
Aug 30 2007, 04:13 AM
thanx pavel

--------------------
Ibanez sa260 (hell ya)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 30 2007, 04:46 AM
Instructor
You're welcome m8! Please let me know if you got some questions! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Aug 30 2007, 04:57 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 29 2007, 01:18 AM) *
laugh.gif i feel dumb now laugh.gif

Wash, Rinse, Repeat tongue.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
sillyman
Sep 16 2007, 06:42 PM
hey pavel ive been trying recently to perfect my picking technique mainly because i dont want to have to relearn a better technique later on. ive attached a video of me doing a basic alternate picking exercise slowly, is my technique correct and is ther something that needs to be improved? any help would be much appreciated
Attached File  Picking1.avi ( 10.7MB ) Number of downloads: 357

--------------------
Ibanez sa260 (hell ya)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 16 2007, 06:48 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (benhowell @ Aug 28 2007, 06:47 PM) *
Sorry-it really wasnt funny dry.gif

It was impulse!

Carry on with your helpful info Pavel!

-Ben

Come on Ben - Impulse is a UK deodourant not soap! laugh.gif

Cheers,
Tony

sorry Pavel (and Ben laugh.gif ) couldn't resist

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:43 PM