The Evolution Of My Style, a self analysis put forth for your evaluation
Spiderusalem
May 14 2008, 11:31 AM
GMC:er
WARNING: this is a rather long and involved analysis of the decisions I made in my evolution as a guitarist. I put this here for evaluation and some helpful comments/criticism/joking. You may encounter some naughty thoughts. Read at your own risk.

Before I decided to set out and develop my own style of play, I did everything the way I’ve always been taught was right. I installed my closet worship shrine to Jimi Hendrix. I memorized my major and pentatonic scales, and all my 7 chords in first inversion on the 6th and 5th string. I kept my picks in my pocket, next to the “protection” lol. I warmed up using chromatics. I played primarily electric and I thought that anything outside of single note lead guitar meant only playing chords.

This all changed when I started doing Kosei’s lessons, and decided to add more “exotic” techniques to my pallet. This happened with a series of big decisions. The first of which was to sell my electric guitar and go acoustic/semi-classical (semi-classical because I only play nylon string guitars with cutaways, electronic, and necks no wider than 5cm or a little less than 2 inches) I did this for a variety of reasons:

-I wanted the option to play classical pieces, which I feel is harder on a regular thinner neck
-I was getting into jazz, and felt that jazz on a nylon string guitar was an area with lots of room left for exploration.
-I wanted to use flamenco techniques, some of which require some vicious usage of the nails and fingers, which would hurt really bad on a steel string.
-not only was my playing getting more rhythmic, but it was also getting more percussive, so having an acoustic body gave me something to drum on for fills and whatnot.
-the ladies really dig them Spanish grooves

Ok so that last one was bull**** (sort of) but regardless, I felt that a semi-classical better suited my developing style. The next big issue was what to do about the pick situation. Search for my posts and you may find my breakup letter with my guitar pick. The reason I decided to end our relationshiop was to be able to play the aforementioned classical pieces (also fingerstyle) and flamenco which does not use a pick. But here was my dilemma: I freakin love alternate picking and sweep picking. Even on acoustic that S*** sounds awesome. So I wanted to be able to fingerpick while still having the option to go alternate picking. I tried out quite a few things to achieve this:

-I tried using only classical technique, free strokes with the thumb and rest strokes with ima, but I just couldn’t get it up to speed/coordination.
-I tried using just fingers, and “alternate picking” with either the flesh/nail of the thumb (like Wes Montgomery) or index finger. Even with nail hardener, this did not work. I’ll spare you the bloody details.
-I tried hybrid picking (use of flatpick plus middle, ring, and pinky finger) but the inability to use my index finger really bothered me.
-I tried giving in and asking my flatpick for forgiveness, but she had moved on by then.

I finally switched to thumbpicks. This was a really jarring transition, which took months to get use to, but is incredibly rewarding because now I can go from fingerpicking to alternate picking and back without having to put anything down. Of course, the thumbpicks have to be sized correctly, filed down, and secured with plastic cement before they’re %100 to my liking. But it’s a lot of fun, when I’m making my own picks I feel like batman or a jedi or something.

My practice routine also evolved. Before, I use to do my daily chromatic workout, then play some scales, and then some alternate picking exercises. Then I would either a.) mess around, b.) improvise over a chord progression, c.) work on a lesson for a while, then move on the next without getting those techniques down, or d.) look up some tabs for a song I liked, play it, forget it later, then go back to a.) mess around.

Not the greatest use of a 2-4 hour practice session, which has gone through its own evolutions:

-I use to practice technique for hours and hours. I played all sorts of exotic exercises up and down the neck, and it would eat up all my time.
-I would spend that time writing music, which was good for creative reasons and would force me to research theory sometimes, but too much time spent writing is not progress.
-I would learn new material the whole session, but I wouldn’t play it later to remember it.
-I even kept a blog of my progress in music, but that fell short due to boredom.

As you can see, I’ve made every mistake and wrong turn you could possibly make in the process of teaching yourself. I’ve learned a lesson or two though, and now my routine looks something like this:

-I spend the first hour – hour and a half on nothing but technique, and applied theory (like mapping out arpeggio patterns, or finding every chord shape of Maj7b9)
-then I spend a few minutes playing some selected repertoire (especially stuff I haven’t played in a few days)
-the rest of my time is spent either a.) sight reading or b.) working on a new piece.
Or both!

So I guess, if anyone has any comments about anything I said, or any advice about style or my current practice routine, I’d love to hear it.

-Spider

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 14 2008, 12:35 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Some big changes you have gone through on your journey to where you are now, one thing I`d like though as I`m sure others would too, is there any chance that we can have an mp3 or something recorded by you to hear where your at now?
That`d be cool smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 14 2008, 12:47 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Great post- lots of stuff there to make me reconsider how i use my time.

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
May 14 2008, 01:19 PM
Instructor
This is a definte must read for aspiring musicians.

Just like learning to play more cleanly and accurately and faster requires honing of skills thru conservation of motion. So does the ability to learn material and ideas more quickly thru conservation of time and energy.

I always try approach guitar in this manner. Always asking myself, how can i get the most out of my time practicing with marked results.

Sometimes you might develop a practice schedule that doesnt have any set barriers and it may look like your doing everything you can be doing but after much analysis realize that your not getting the most out of it.

Constant refinement of this time spent practicing is a must to acheive your goals as a musician.

Excellent topic man!

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Canis
May 14 2008, 01:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
Great topic. Very inspiring ^^
I would also like a sound clip to hear where you are today =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
PassionPlay
May 14 2008, 01:46 PM
GMC:er
Hmm .. my pracitce schedules are almost as bad organized as yours were (unfortunately) tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 14 2008, 10:18 PM
Instructor
nice topic spiderusalem

+Quote Post
Fran
May 14 2008, 10:40 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Interesting read Spider, you should post it in your Practice agenda, would be nice to read/listen to your new projects and evolution.

QUOTE (Spiderusalem @ May 14 2008, 12:31 PM) *
But it’s a lot of fun, when I’m making my own picks I feel like batman or a jedi or something.

As a star wars fan, that part was priceless laugh.gif laugh.gif , you are now like Master Yoda to me wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Kosei Kubota
May 15 2008, 03:35 AM
Classical Instructor
Somewhere in the world, my style influenced somebody.
And yours will influence somebody else.

Global chain of music on GMC!

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
May 15 2008, 12:03 PM
Instructor
Nice man!! Great topic!!!!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 15 2008, 06:26 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Fascinating! I love the way you took a thumb pick and made it work for alt picking, truly innovative!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:58 PM