Other Talents, Skills Vol. 2
Ben Higgins
Aug 15 2011, 08:42 AM
Instructor
Hi Guys.. I've called this post Vol II because there was an old thread from 2007 about other talents.. but seeing as many of us have joined after then, I'm asking the question again because it would be cool to get to know each other even better..

Before I ever touched a guitar, drawing was 'my thing'. Everyone presumed I was going to grow up to be some famous artist.. but then I crossed paths with ROCK and the rest is history... tongue.gif

I think I'm pretty good at driving and I'd love to go into racing.. but that's something that only rich people can do so.. dry.gif

I'm generally good at tasks that involve hand/eye co ordination so killing Nazis on computer games is no probs.. wink.gif

Are there other skills, talents, or hobbies that you're good at, besides the guitar ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ben Higgins
Aug 15 2011, 12:30 PM
Instructor
So nobody has any other skills at all ?? huh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 15 2011, 01:49 PM
GMC:er
Very cool topic idea Ben. Looks like this post isn't even a day old so I"m sure folks will see it as the week progresses and jump in smile.gif You can reply to the thread to give it a "bump" to the front page topic list and I think you should as this could be loads of fun to talk about this week.

As for me, I too was a big fan of drawing as a youngster. I actually stopped doing it once I got my first electric guitar. All my spare time just got soaked up it by learning to shred! Also, I guess you could say "computers" are something of a hobby of mine so imagine my glee as hardware continued to get cheaper and software continued to get better. I also got in to "Web Development" along the way then in to "Social Media" which remains a hobby.

For me now, other than music, I"m in to "Analytics", or the information related to what folks do on the web. This goes hand in hand with my YouTube hobby! If anyone hasn't jumped on to youtube, and started sharing videos, do it! Here is a link to the youtube blog announcing INSIGHT tools for everyone, not just those with Youtube "Partner" accounts. Just click on INSIGHT and you can see where your vieweres are coming from, what they are watching, how old they are etc. Understanding your audience is important. This is a great way to do it smile.gif

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2008/03...ytics-tool.html

Also, here is a link to YOUTUBE TRENDS which is a great way to track videos that are trending up all over the world. It's like a
mini social barometer for all the video traffic on earth. Fascinating to see what videos go viral in various parts of the world
but not in other parts. It reveals just a small sliver about national character/culture (imho) as it reveals what folks find funny, cool, etc. Some videos go viral and cross borders, some videos stay put but are wildly popular in a single country.

http://youtube-trends.blogspot.com/

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 15 2011, 01:59 PM

+Quote Post
velci
Aug 15 2011, 02:41 PM
Learning Roadie
I'm pretty good football actually. I have played my town's football team called Bagcılar about 5 years. I have started when I was 14. And When I was 17 I have started to play A team. But when I started to university I decited to quit football.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 15 2011, 07:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 15 2011, 01:49 PM) *
Very cool topic idea Ben. Looks like this post isn't even a day old so I"m sure folks will see it as the week progresses and jump in smile.gif You can reply to the thread to give it a "bump" to the front page topic list and I think you should as this could be loads of fun to talk about this week.

As for me, I too was a big fan of drawing as a youngster. I actually stopped doing it once I got my first electric guitar. All my spare time just got soaked up it by learning to shred! Also, I guess you could say "computers" are something of a hobby of mine so imagine my glee as hardware continued to get cheaper and software continued to get better. I also got in to "Web Development" along the way then in to "Social Media" which remains a hobby.

For me now, other than music, I"m in to "Analytics", or the information related to what folks do on the web. This goes hand in hand with my YouTube hobby! If anyone hasn't jumped on to youtube, and started sharing videos, do it! Here is a link to the youtube blog announcing INSIGHT tools for everyone, not just those with Youtube "Partner" accounts. Just click on INSIGHT and you can see where your vieweres are coming from, what they are watching, how old they are etc. Understanding your audience is important. This is a great way to do it smile.gif

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2008/03...ytics-tool.html

Also, here is a link to YOUTUBE TRENDS which is a great way to track videos that are trending up all over the world. It's like a
mini social barometer for all the video traffic on earth. Fascinating to see what videos go viral in various parts of the world
but not in other parts. It reveals just a small sliver about national character/culture (imho) as it reveals what folks find funny, cool, etc. Some videos go viral and cross borders, some videos stay put but are wildly popular in a single country.

http://youtube-trends.blogspot.com/

Wow, Todd you're really quite knowledgeable when it comes to computers then ! smile.gif I've seen some of your Yotube promo advice before and I was impressed. I really should start doing it myself !!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (velci @ Aug 15 2011, 02:41 PM) *
I'm pretty good football actually. I have played my town's football team called Bagcılar about 5 years. I have started when I was 14. And When I was 17 I have started to play A team. But when I started to university I decited to quit football.

Cool.. I also used to play football for the school teams but gave up when I found ROCK N ROLL !! biggrin.gif

Do you do any other active sports ?

+Quote Post
GregH
Aug 15 2011, 08:00 PM
I used to repair guitar amps and some keyboards professionally. Mostly tube amps but some solid state. Keyboards like Fender Rhodes and Hammond B3. Now my day job is repairing aircraft radios. One of my other interests is flying. That aircraft picture on the left is mine. I built it and have over 1000 hours flying it.
Greg

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 15 2011, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
My biggest talent is sports. I am currently playing Football and Floorball and i used to play icehockey aswell.

I also master alot of other sports but the 3 i mentioned are the ones i do the most

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Aug 16 2011, 01:30 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator

I used to pretty much do nothing but draw in school. Don't too much of it anymore as most of my inspiration is geared towards music now.

+Quote Post
GregH
Aug 16 2011, 06:14 AM
Uncreator - Wow, you're good. Anything I draw looks like scribbling.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 16 2011, 07:11 AM
Instructor
I love videography and photography besides music, i think i'm quite talented for photography in particular.
sadly is expensive to buy guitars and cameras sad.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 16 2011, 10:22 AM
Instructor
Uncreator, those pics rock !!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 16 2011, 11:51 AM
Instructor
Man, I love doing lots of things, I like creating stuff from wood, doing fine repairs, drawing was my big thing too, I have some great drawings when I was a kid.
But, I think my general talent is geared towards technology, devices, machines and computers. It was always very very natural for me to understand how these things work, and I was always curious about it, unscrewing devices just to see how they look inside.. biggrin.gif I know a lot about computers, it's the only "hobby" that stuck around. Video and audio production, programming, communications, networking, hardware.. I'm all good at that, and watch closely all trends. My masters degree was in multimedia production and mobile networking.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 16 2011, 06:59 PM
Instructor
I used to be good at this game but man these guys are just virtuosos!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 16 2011, 08:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Aug 16 2011, 12:59 PM) *

AHH i love street fighter, i was quite good too, but this guys are just incredible!

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 16 2011, 08:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Aug 16 2011, 06:59 PM) *

That's cool as hell !! biggrin.gif

I used to love these games.. I was a big fan of the first 2 Mortal Kombat games as well cool.gif

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 17 2011, 03:26 AM
Instructor
we should organize a small tournament online, i wanna kick some biggrin.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 17 2011, 10:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Aug 17 2011, 03:26 AM) *
we should organize a small tournament online, i wanna kick some biggrin.gif

Yeah, a GMC tournament of classic fighting games !! biggrin.gif

What characters did people use ? Streetfighter: usually Ken or Sagat
Mortal Kombat: Johnny Cage or Liu Kang

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 17 2011, 12:14 PM
Instructor
Well, if I were to think about things which are not music related, I'd say I have a thing for coaching people with a lot of potential and talent lacking organization skills and time management - it's an expression borrowed from a long time friend saying: 'Helping you achieve your full potential' smile.gif The activity field doesn't matter, as I can easily see what their biggest issue just by being ON THE OUTSIDE smile.gif we're usually not able to carefully observe ourselves because we're too much into what we're doing I guess (and it goes the same for me biggrin.gif)

Foreign languages are also a strong point for me - I can talk almost instantaneously using almost any accent in any language (without knowing what I'm saying of course tongue.gif)

Otherwise, I have a very strong calling towards...swords, Japanese ones especially and since I think that a discipline like Iaido will make me a better human being all in all..guess what..I'll start learning from September onwards smile.gif wish me luck tongue.gif i don't know if I'm talented but, I'll find out soon enough.

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 17 2011, 12:16 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 17 2011, 06:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 17 2011, 12:14 PM) *
Well, if I were to think about things which are not music related, I'd say I have a thing for coaching people with a lot of potential and talent lacking organization skills and time management - it's an expression borrowed from a long time friend saying: 'Helping you achieve your full potential' smile.gif The activity field doesn't matter, as I can easily see what their biggest issue just by being ON THE OUTSIDE smile.gif we're usually not able to carefully observe ourselves because we're too much into what we're doing I guess (and it goes the same for me biggrin.gif)

Foreign languages are also a strong point for me - I can talk almost instantaneously using almost any accent in any language (without knowing what I'm saying of course tongue.gif)

Otherwise, I have a very strong calling towards...swords, Japanese ones especially and since I think that a discipline like Iaido will make me a better human being all in all..guess what..I'll start learning from September onwards smile.gif wish me luck tongue.gif i don't know if I'm talented but, I'll find out soon enough.

Very interesting answer, Cosmin.. and yes, you are very talented when it comes to languages / accents ! laugh.gif

That sounds awesome.. you must update us on that ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 17 2011, 06:09 PM
Instructor
I'm no too skilled! but I enjoy what I do when I am cooking... sometimes I can do really tasty meals.. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:25 PM