Hooked On Stratocaster, Need Acoustic Practice Guitar, For practicing without an amp need acoustic with same neck as Stratoca
Ken Nielsen
Jul 7 2012, 09:10 PM
GMC:er
I'm looking at the Fender Sonora. I want to stay with fender, just because I'm in love with my Stratocaster. Has anyone else run into this situation: my flat top acoustic, as beautiful as it is, no longer is the style of guitar that I am making headway with. I'm taking lessons on the Stratocaster and want an acoustic that has the same exact neck. either I should trade in my flat top classical and get something I can use, or I should just leave things as they are and go through only being able to practice when I hook up an amp to the electric.

Any thoughts on this situation?

TIA,

Ken

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 7 2012, 10:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
You'll have to research further, and probably get your hands on one to see.... (diff strats can have diff necks!)

But my first thought was the Fender Telecoustic. Then, I thought "why not google to see if there is a STRATacoustic?", and found this!

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?prodNo=0967300

Technically speaking, I think it's what you're looking for. Though, I've never personally been a fan of the telecoustic series.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ken Nielsen
Jul 7 2012, 10:45 PM
QUOTE (derper @ Jul 7 2012, 09:15 PM) *
You'll have to research further, and probably get your hands on one to see.... (diff strats can have diff necks!)

But my first thought was the Fender Telecoustic. Then, I thought "why not google to see if there is a STRATacoustic?", and found this!

Technically speaking, I think it's what you're looking for. Though, I've never personally been a fan of the telecoustic series.

I am probably not a fan of the Telecoustic series either, but you have found what I did not find in my searches on the internet. This would do the job, it's relatively cheap, gets by without an amplifier, and no one stocks it locally so I would need to take my chances on it. I'll consider it carefully and then make the decision. Mostly, I wanted to thank you for the quick and accurate reply. Just what I was looking for.

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 7 2012, 10:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ken Nielsen @ Jul 7 2012, 02:45 PM) *
I am probably not a fan of the Telecoustic series either, but you have found what I did not find in my searches on the internet. This would do the job, it's relatively cheap, gets by without an amplifier, and no one stocks it locally so I would need to take my chances on it. I'll consider it carefully and then make the decision. Mostly, I wanted to thank you for the quick and accurate reply. Just what I was looking for.

No problem Ken, that's what GMC is for!

Where are you located? One suggestion, would be to attempt to try an instrument with the same neck. As mentioned, different strats CAN have very different necks. So first, try and determine what neck you have VS. the fender "C-shape" (I think that's what the web site described it as...) which seems to be the same neck as the telecoustic. Weird, because Tele's usually have VERY different necks than strats!!

So, if you can locally compare your neck (in person) vs. that fender "c-shape" (do more research...I'm going off of memory now) in your own hands, then you will know if the neck is right for certain...then you can order the stratacoustic with more certainty!! Of course, if a local shop helps you out in finding/comparing necks, try to order the guitar from them even if it costs more than online. I always HATE it when people come into my shop (not guitar, but any retail store) and get all the service and info then they tell you, "thanks....I'm going to buy it online to save $5!!". I'm not violent usually, but it makes me want to throw a (heavy, old, metal) stapler at their head on the way out. But I'm a bad shot, and I'd probably just break my window instead. dry.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jul 8 2012, 01:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ken Nielsen @ Jul 7 2012, 08:10 PM) *
I'm looking at the Fender Sonora. I want to stay with fender, just because I'm in love with my Stratocaster. Has anyone else run into this situation: my flat top acoustic, as beautiful as it is, no longer is the style of guitar that I am making headway with. I'm taking lessons on the Stratocaster and want an acoustic that has the same exact neck. either I should trade in my flat top classical and get something I can use, or I should just leave things as they are and go through only being able to practice when I hook up an amp to the electric.

Any thoughts on this situation?

TIA,

Ken

I heard of them and tried it a couple of time! Never owned one thou! I would suggest to check them out and try to find reviews and maybe even a video on YouTube? Also go to your local store and try it out!!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 8 2012, 06:24 AM
I know for a fact that fender makes a C shape, U shape, and V shape neck. So find out what shape the neck is on your strat then get a fender acoustic with the same neck shape ! If you dont know how to find out which neck shape your guitar has , if you took your guitar to an authorized fender dealer they could probably tell you. Hope this helps smile.gif

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play

+Quote Post
Ken Nielsen
Jul 8 2012, 06:31 AM
QUOTE (derper @ Jul 7 2012, 09:15 PM) *

Ah, the happy end to a happy day. I went to the local Guitar Center store where they had the Stratocoustic so i could try it then and there. It was PERFECT (can you tell I really liked it?) I immediately said "I'll take it" and had their shop put lighter weight strings on so I could match it as closely as possible to my Stratocaster. Now I've tried it at home and like it so well that I'll take it back and have them set the string height off the fretboard to match my Stratocaster as closely as possible. I realize this is an acoustic, so it takes acoustic strings, but it has the right neck, shape and wood, everything is nearly identical to my Strat! Got a gig bag for it as it is just my beater practice machine, but to tell you the truth, I like this guitar. I hear it sounds really good when you plug it in to an amp. I'll try that later as that was not my intended purpose.

It's nice when something turns out way better than you ever planned or expected.

Thanks for the Five Star help here guys, I really appreciate the way you came on to help.

Ken Nielsen

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 8 2012, 06:35 AM
Learning Tone Master
Great info JesseJ!! As much experience as I have had with Fender, and I even owned a 97 American Standard Strat.... I didn't know about that.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 9 2012, 04:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Jul 7 2012, 06:15 PM) *

I didn't know about the existence of this models, I don't like too much how they look because they seem to be an hybrid. I used a Takamine two days ago in a show and it felt so good, the neck is thin and comfortable. I've never used a Fender Acoustic so I can't recommend anything to you...

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 10 2012, 03:40 AM
QUOTE (derper @ Jul 8 2012, 05:35 AM) *
Great info JesseJ!! As much experience as I have had with Fender, and I even owned a 97 American Standard Strat.... I didn't know about that.

Yah My guitar Mentor friend has 5 fender guitars so I got to know alot about fender listening to him smile.gif

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 10 2012, 07:47 AM
Learning Roadie
Ken

Even with the same neck an acoustic will need thicker strings and so the feel will still be very different.

You haven't really said why you need something different to practice on, is it a volume issue?

If you want to practice acoustic style then get one, the neck on a steel string acoustic guitar is very different to a classical guitar.

However if you are looking to practice what you are learning on your Strat but quieter, look for headphone amps and things like the line 6 POD.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 10 2012, 08:14 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 9 2012, 11:47 PM) *
Ken

Even with the same neck an acoustic will need thicker strings and so the feel will still be very different.

You haven't really said why you need something different to practice on, is it a volume issue?

If you want to practice acoustic style then get one, the neck on a steel string acoustic guitar is very different to a classical guitar.

However if you are looking to practice what you are learning on your Strat but quieter, look for headphone amps and things like the line 6 POD.

Best answer/response yet.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Ken Nielsen
Jul 10 2012, 06:44 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 10 2012, 06:47 AM) *
Ken

I have already bought the Fender Straocoustic, which there is a link earlier in this thread to see it. My reason for wanting an acoustic similar to the Stratocaster neck is to practice anywhere where there is not an amp and not have to lug around the 'heavier' electric guitar. The Stratocoustic is perfect, has the same "C" shaped neck and is similar in every detail. As far as strings and string height go, I immediately had lighter strings put on, just to get an idea of the 'feel' of the acoustic string set-up. Now that I know this guitar matches my needs perfectly, I am just headed off to the set-up shop this morning to have the strings lowered, and an even lighter set of strings put on the guitar. I will take my Straocaster into the shop for the technician to see and use as a model for the set-up of the Stratocoustic. By this afternoon I should have two nearly identical guitars, one electric and one acoustic.

I hope you also noticed above, I am loving the Stratocoustic sound as well. It has a bell-like tone that is warm and pleasing, just right for the jazz and bossa-nova music I am working on.

Replies on this thread have all been most helpful. This is definitely a good group for real help with guitar.

Thank You,

Ken

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 12 2012, 08:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Glad to hear it Ken!! By considering both your needs and wants, you were able to make a great choice for your gear!!

QUOTE (Ken Nielsen @ Jul 10 2012, 10:44 AM) *
I have already bought the Fender Straocoustic, which there is a link earlier in this thread to see it. My reason for wanting an acoustic similar to the Stratocaster neck is to practice anywhere where there is not an amp and not have to lug around the 'heavier' electric guitar. The Stratocoustic is perfect, has the same "C" shaped neck and is similar in every detail. As far as strings and string height go, I immediately had lighter strings put on, just to get an idea of the 'feel' of the acoustic string set-up. Now that I know this guitar matches my needs perfectly, I am just headed off to the set-up shop this morning to have the strings lowered, and an even lighter set of strings put on the guitar. I will take my Straocaster into the shop for the technician to see and use as a model for the set-up of the Stratocoustic. By this afternoon I should have two nearly identical guitars, one electric and one acoustic.

I hope you also noticed above, I am loving the Stratocoustic sound as well. It has a bell-like tone that is warm and pleasing, just right for the jazz and bossa-nova music I am working on.

Replies on this thread have all been most helpful. This is definitely a good group for real help with guitar.

Thank You,

Ken

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:59 PM