Inexpensive Guitar
JTaylor
Jan 27 2012, 02:36 AM
Apprentice Roadie
Thinking about saving for another guitar but I am curious about price. Are there any good guitars in the $300 - $400 (US) price range? If there are, what are they? I know I'm going to get what I pay for but I don't want to throw away money. I have an Ibanez GSA60 (I think it's the cheapest electric Ibanez makes). Cheap guitar, but for the cost, it's fine. If I cannot see a substantial difference in the way my next guitar is, I'll just stick with it. Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jan 27 2012, 02:46 AM
Instructor
I would get a Schecter you can find one for this amount and they are sounding pretty good!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Jan 27 2012, 02:52 AM
Apprentice Roadie
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jan 27 2012, 01:46 AM) *
I would get a Schecter you can find one for this amount and they are sounding pretty good!

Thanks Alex! BTW, I have really enjoyed your articles and had actually thought you were pretty advanced to be a "student" here! Glad to see you as an instructor! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jan 27 2012, 02:55 AM
Learning Rock Star
I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I would rather buy some gear that you will keep forever, like an amp or effects, rather than buying a guitar you will probably replace anyway. At least you can wait until you can spend a bit more on the next guitar, or just save up! On the other hand, it's not my decision, just trying to point out this side of the picture as well.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jan 27 2012, 04:04 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Not too long ago there was a Schecter posted on Amazon for $234.00. It wasn't one of their cheaper ones either, it was loaded with active, yes active EMGs, set neck, and a flame maple top. Of course the maple top was a veneer, but its still a nice looking and sounding guitar. This guitar normally sold for $600, but was seriously marked down for clearance. This deal is long gone, but the reason why I'm mentioning it is because deals like this pop up all the time, you just have to look for them.

Another option you can try is picking up a Fender Mexican Stratocaster. They can be had for around $300, and are plentiful on craigslist and eBay. There are many good things about the Mexican Strat, and the Strat platform in general. The Mexican Strat when stock is a very good quality guitar. But whats great about it is its only a starting point for whatever you want to make it. The accessories for the Strat are endless. No other guitar on the planet has an after market upgrade selection like the Strat. You can turn the guitar into anything you want, and you can do it as funds are available. You can make it a metal monster by putting a beast of a pickup in the bridge, then put a smooth single coil in the neck and middle for excellent clean tones.

I'm not sure what kind of music you play, but the best guitar you can get for under $400 is the Squier Classic Vibes series Strat/Telecaster. The fit and finish is excellent and the pickups are great quality. In fact, the pickups are manufactured by Tonerider pickups. I know Squier has a bad rap, but you seriously have to check out these guitars, you will be really impressed. When I first seen them at Guitar Center, I thought they were the Fender American Series guitars. In fact, they can be directly compared to the American Series guitars. The main difference between the two is the American series has a higher quality tremolo block, and better tuning machines, but thats it.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jan 27 2012, 04:28 AM
Schecter is great in that range. I have a Damien FR myself. Look into the Ibanez Artcore line. Fender just came out with their new Modern Player Series, which has one seriously bad-ass looking Marauder. It sounds great! Mexican Fenders aren't half bad, throw in some good pickups and bam. Otherwise, just scour for deals. Mudbone is correct in his post. I was never really a Fender fan until Sinisa had a thread about that Marauder.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jan 27 2012, 04:28 AM
GMC:er
Personally since you live in Florida if you have a local Guitar Center check with them.

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm

You can use that to search for guitars for brands, price, ects. Hit up the local store if you find something talk to someone and see if you can buy it and have them ship it in. I'm not sure if they are all as good as the local one here but if they are it shouldn't be an issue at all.

I've picked up a bit of used items from them to vouch for decent prices. I bought a LTD Alexi-600 for $550 and at the time it retailed for $1200. I've bought a Mesa Triple Rectifier for $1300 they sell for $2500 new. Trading in can be a let down. I traded the Alexi-600 back in they gave me like $350 for it, but they had a special going on and with it being towards a trade in they gave me I believe 20% off the next purchase which put me back to $550 what I paid for it.

- Travis S.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 27 2012, 06:38 AM
Instructor
i would analyse what is the guitar I want, regardless of the price, and then check out a really cheap version of it, for instance Squier out of Fender, or Epiphone out of Gibson,

Pretty much all of the brands have an inexpensive version of their guitars, so check the one you want and find out the cheaper version , I hope that helps

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 27 2012, 06:57 AM
First off I'd say look at used instruments. You can get quite a bit of guitar if you can handle one that has had the "new" worn off a bit smile.gif Also, check pawn shops and such. You can often find amazing deals on guitars in those types of places. Often players will pawn a guitar intending to get it back and it doesn't work out and the pawn shop doesn't know or care about guitars so they sell it cheap.

Also, check craigs list and such. Play as many as you can. Pick the one that feels/sounds the best to you. For a few hundred bux you can find some great deals if you dig around.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 27 2012, 10:30 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Epiphone makes some decent guitars for the price. LP & SG shaped mainly.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Blister
Jan 27 2012, 12:17 PM
This has been a helpful thread. My daughters (16 & 22 yo) have shown interest in guitar & I must admit, have had my nose up in the air regarding Squiers. But Mudbone has really piqued my interest in the Classic Vibe series. I currently play a LP copy & wouldn't mind adding a strat, so ..... if they decide they don't want to play guitar anymore... wink.gif And Todd has me drooling over the Ibanez RG's, too!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ItSME3
Jan 27 2012, 12:41 PM
get your hands on something from vintage

Awesome stuff designed by Trev Wilkinson. THe hardware is all Wilkinson. Good stuff. I got a Vintage Icon LP copy the JBM model. Like it better than my Gibson LP Studio. I had a Thomas Blug Strat for a while ( another relic model from Vintage) It beat my USA made Highway One strat (which is a cool budget model from Fender: here is a vid of me and my highway one http://youtu.be/BI56ld9kiME )

here the vinatge guitars:

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

this one is really great

http://youtu.be/PnW3_qqy_r0

and this one is better than all PRS SE models combined. sustain until you start crying. better than all Schecters

http://youtu.be/5bsQ4w3jGNA

here is the Blug Vintage relic in action

http://youtu.be/ZX2974-aoN0

the non Icon models go for 300 Euros at some vendors here. Great price for what you get

This post has been edited by ItSME3: Jan 27 2012, 01:32 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 27 2012, 01:38 PM
Instructor
For that much money you should be careful, because it's a tight budget. Personally, if I had that type of budget for my MAIN guitar, I would consider going second-hand, discount pieces, window shop pieces that were used in the store can sometimes have discount price, and you should hunt down some good options on eBay if your shipment costs aren't that great. If you have a local dealer that can get you something for cheap or on couple of monthly payments, that would be great too.

Buying new guitar in that price range won't make that much difference, so because of this, try to be careful. I would stay away from pretty-looking cheap guitars, as they are often bad in tone or built.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 28 2012, 12:37 AM
Instructor
In any case I'd watched also the second hand guitars! You can to run into an extra axe for peanuts biggrin.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
JTaylor
Feb 1 2012, 02:39 AM
Apprentice Roadie
After all was said and done, I decided to buy the Jackson JS32R. I put the deposit on it tonight and will hopefully bring it home in about two weeks. Jackson is going to discontinue this model... something about them losing money on it I've been told.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Feb 1 2012, 03:42 AM
QUOTE (Blister @ Jan 27 2012, 06:17 AM) *
This has been a helpful thread. My daughters (16 & 22 yo) have shown interest in guitar & I must admit, have had my nose up in the air regarding Squiers. But Mudbone has really piqued my interest in the Classic Vibe series. I currently play a LP copy & wouldn't mind adding a strat, so ..... if they decide they don't want to play guitar anymore... wink.gif And Todd has me drooling over the Ibanez RG's, too!

Definitely check out the Classic Vibes series by Squier, you will seriously be impressed. I have noticed that Guitar Center never seems to have any in stock at their showrooms, but Sam Ash typically does. Also, if you do plan on getting a cheaper Ibanez RG, stay away from the ones with the Edge III bridge. It is made from low grade steel and will wear out.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
derper
Feb 1 2012, 03:51 AM
Learning Tone Master
I have to agree totally with Ivan. Also, I am a super "cheap" guy, which makes me carefully consider the ration of "value". That means, that cheap isn't always the cheapest!! For example, if you can only spend up to $400, that's that. BUT, what if $500-$600 could get you a WAY better guitar? Obviously, you'll have to wait a bit longer, but it makes it all that much sweeter the day you lay your hands on the PERFECT axe for you!! For me, it was a Parker Nitefly 97' on craigslist in immaculate condition for $700. I couldn't technically afford it that particular week, and had to borrow $$ from my girlfriend until I flipped my US Strat.... but TOTALLY worth it!! I'd trade a kidney for that guitar!

Anyway, I'm just sayin'.... don't get "trigger happy" with excitement and blow your wad on something that is only a bit better than your guitar. There is such a fine line between "crap" guitars, "ok" guitars, "awesome" guitars (and then they just get fancier and prettier, but you can get what is considered an AWESOME/pro guitar for usually $600-$1000 depending) so always be careful when treading that line. I know this from experience, as a poor, gigging guitarist. Not quite "pro", but I'm definitely getting called into sessions in Portland frequently, subbing into gigs, and balancing 3 gigging projects and a full time job!! Anyway, I am past the point where a "mid-level" axe will do the trick. I went US strat first, but agree that many a Mexi-Strat will compare. Check out Stephane's Country licks vid here on GMC!! A mexi-tele with SWEEEEEET tone!! https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Country-Licks-Lesson/

Best of luck to you!! Just consider your options carefully, play many an axe, and always consider what you really want/need out of a guitar now and in the next few years....it will help you find a "cheap" guitar, that still has "value" to you!! (sorry, I've sold furniture and I know that sometime an extra $20 gets you a piece that lasts a lifetime, as opposed to crap. Guitars can be similar, but more options and more confusion!!)

Also, though I see the value in having quality effects, I prefer to have sweet solid tone behind it first!! I feel that starting the other way around can create a bad-habit of "hiding" behind effects. I've already seen many posts discussing this in various applications. Life is balance.....too "clean", and you better be Chet freakin' Atkins!! Too much distortion, and you run the risk of losing sight of basics and many techniques because you're buried deep in shreddy tone!! I believe it can benefit us all to find our "balance", yet I digress.... dry.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 27 2012, 04:38 AM) *
For that much money you should be careful, because it's a tight budget. Personally, if I had that type of budget for my MAIN guitar, I would consider going second-hand, discount pieces, window shop pieces that were used in the store can sometimes have discount price, and you should hunt down some good options on eBay if your shipment costs aren't that great. If you have a local dealer that can get you something for cheap or on couple of monthly payments, that would be great too.

Buying new guitar in that price range won't make that much difference, so because of this, try to be careful. I would stay away from pretty-looking cheap guitars, as they are often bad in tone or built.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:10 PM