Rhida's Bootcamp, A Valiant Death (or guitar Solo) is it's own reward!
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2014, 04:18 AM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

Here is your link your personal training ground/HELL!

http://bitly.com/rhidasbootcamp

Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rhida
Jul 25 2014, 07:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Todd

Here's my attempt at the first mission 160bpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGYYS5AOre0...eature=youtu.be

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rhida: Jul 25 2014, 07:47 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 25 2014, 10:18 PM
Congrats on drawing FIRST BLOOD SOLDIER!!!!!

Some very aggressive picking there which is what I like to see!! I am going to have to send you back to the wood shed/shooting range though for the simple reason that your timing is drifting all over. Soldier, I want to hear the metronome / drums whatever you are using to keep the beat so that I can compare your playing to the beat to see how synched up it is. In some cases, playing is so tight that I can hear the metronome in my head and don't need it on the track. You'll get there!!! Until then, record a metronome/click track with your MISSION and stick to the timing like tracks on a tank!!!

Back to the Fight Soldier!!!! Keep up the Good Work!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Rhida @ Jul 25 2014, 02:46 PM) *
Hi Todd

Here's my attempt at the first mission 160bpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGYYS5AOre0...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post
Rhida
Jul 29 2014, 06:12 PM
Hello Sarge.

Back to the field.
Here it is with a metronome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNYPOlna2tg...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 30 2014, 05:40 AM
Soldier I appreciate your aggressive approach!! Some great energy in your playing!!! You have some serious potential here that can be harnessed and sharpened like a weapon! We first have to control it.

Your playing is good but you are not locked in synch with the metronome. Sometimes, folks will play their bit and actually try to record the metronome afterwards and somehow try to synch them up during video editing. Of course, this never works as the Sarge has a Battle worn ear and can always hear the difference.

Let's maybe slow down quite a bit and try to synch up each pick strike with a click of the metronome. The purpose of playing with a metronome is to synch your playing with the clicks. Make sense? Otherwise, the metronome is just background noise. So slow down to the point where you can hear each click matching up with a pick strike and make sure they are spot on. If you hear them drift, try again.

Keep at it soldier!! ALL of the remaining missions will require you to be able to play in LOCK STEP with a metronome so you gotta beat this one mission to move on.

Sarge

QUOTE (Rhida @ Jul 29 2014, 01:12 PM) *
Hello Sarge.

Back to the field.
Here it is with a metronome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNYPOlna2tg...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post
Rhida
Aug 6 2014, 10:09 AM
Hi Sarge
been working this past week to get my playing in sync with the metronome.
Never realised how bad my timing was before shooting these videos.
Here's mission 1 at 100 bpm.
Sometimes I'am still ahead of the beat that's when I anticipate instead of listening.
Thanks for the bootcamp I can already see how it will improve my playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYgvMK45lE...5momZq3zPHqVYeQ

This post has been edited by Rhida: Aug 6 2014, 10:09 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 6 2014, 10:53 AM
Your FIGHTING SPIRIT is doing you proud SOLDIER!!! This lesson is designed to point out any issues with your timing before we move on to crazy land.

The good news is we can fix em!! I hear the ones you are talking about but they are better!! You sound like you are leading a bit, in expectation, then lagging a bit to let it catch up. Try this!!

1.)Increase the metronome to a faster speed so that each up and down stroke of the pick matches a click. Doesn't have to be fastly played, just one click for one strike. Make sense?

That way you can hear if you are off right away.

Sarge!!!

QUOTE (Rhida @ Aug 6 2014, 05:09 AM) *
Hi Sarge
been working this past week to get my playing in sync with the metronome.
Never realised how bad my timing was before shooting these videos.
Here's mission 1 at 100 bpm.
Sometimes I'am still ahead of the beat that's when I anticipate instead of listening.
Thanks for the bootcamp I can already see how it will improve my playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYgvMK45lE...5momZq3zPHqVYeQ

+Quote Post
Rhida
Aug 11 2014, 01:52 PM
Hey Sarge!

Take number 4 for mission 1

Here we go at 100bpm with real drums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACZCtd_2b-M...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 12 2014, 09:58 PM
Now your getting in the fighting spirit Soldier!! Your on your way to ranking up all the way!
Let's debrief!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Clean Strikes
2.)Steady Speed
3.)Blood on the frets, and wax on the strings from burning the midnight oil!!

to put it simply, you just.....

!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!

not to mention, you just drew FIRST BLOOD!!!!!

Attached Image

Don't lose your momentum Soldier!! keep it up!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Rhida @ Aug 11 2014, 08:52 AM) *
Hey Sarge!

Take number 4 for mission 1

Here we go at 100bpm with real drums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACZCtd_2b-M...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 12 2014, 07:16 PM
Hey Todd!
Sorry for your ankle! Hope you will recover soon!
I am back with Mission 2 at 80 bpm.
Finger independance between first and third finger took me a while but it's better day after day.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 16 2014, 02:39 AM
Well Fought Soldier! Good to see you with both fists in the fight. Digging deep and going for the win!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Clean Picking!
2.)Planted Right Hand!
3.)Precise Timing!

Soldier, you just

!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!

Attached Image

Don't lose momentum Soldier!!! ON TO MISSION 3!!!!!

QUOTE (Rhida @ Sep 12 2014, 02:16 PM) *
Hey Todd!
Sorry for your ankle! Hope you will recover soon!
I am back with Mission 2 at 80 bpm.
Finger independance between first and third finger took me a while but it's better day after day.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:06 PM