Would Like Everyones Opinion On This Mix
The Uncreator
Mar 30 2012, 02:23 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
NOTE:

The song is long (13:36) so I am going to point listening to 01:25 - 05:30 as it covers the majority of the mix.

First, the before:
http://soundcloud.com/lascailles-shroud/evolved

What I thought of it.

Harsh, a bit over-mastered with a lacking evenness to it. Guitar tone was too distorted and fuzzy, drums werent as powerful as they should be.

The after:

http://soundcloud.com/lascailles-shroud/tc-e-new-mix-2

What was changed:

1.) Vocals completely re-done, and EQ'ed much more thoughtfully. Reverb width was slightly increased to give it some stereo depth.

2.) Guitars, I switched a tube screamer out for a NIRR preamp which eased the harshness and gave a warm brightness to it.

3.) Bass levels increased slightly, mixed so the tone would pop slightly in the 400hz range.

4.) Drums - kick switched out for a less triggered and more natural sound. Cymbals slightly lowered, toms re-eq'ed to give them a lot more power. Deeper compression on snare and kick.

5.) Mastering: Slight boosts in the mid-high range to give some accent on the brightness of the guitars. Slight compression and gain increase on four separate bands, all equal increases except the 0-250hz range which was slightly less than the others to give room for a bigger guitar sound.

6.) Yelled at my computer a lot

7.) Stroked my guitar caringly laugh.gif

Let me know how you think the new mix feels and sounds. I personally like it way better, I think its the best sounding mix I've done so far.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:11 PM