Non-guitar Musicians, A topic for them :)
Dinaga
Mar 21 2012, 02:01 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Let's talk about our music heroes which aren't guitarists!
Which non-guitar musicians are so good at their playing you sometimes wanted to play their instrument?

I'll start with my biggest keyboard hero: Jon Lord! This guy is a wizard - whatever he plays, it sound great and groovy! His solos often outshined mr. Blackmore himself. A real virtuoso.

Mike Portnoy. I really don't need to say much about him, everybody knows everything there's to know... I can only mention that his out-of-this-world skill isn't what I like the most about him, it's his attitude and driving power. Gotta love Mike wink.gif

I have lots of others on my mind, but I want to see your inputs on this one smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Mar 21 2012, 02:04 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 21 2012, 06:47 PM
Instructor
The list is enormous but the firsts that come to mind:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 21 2012, 08:41 PM
GMC:er
How about this one, I"m guessing some folks know this performer. Akiko Suwanai? She is honestly one of the best classical violin players I"ve ever heard. Here she rips up some Paganini in the annual Tchaichovsky competition, which is sort of like running a marathon backwards with one leg and winning first place somehow. I can hear the practice in every single note, every vibrato. It's flat out impressive. Watching her made me want to learn violin.

She is a bit of a legend in classical circles. Sort of the child prodigy type. What if Yngwie was a young Japanese Gal who competed against players twice her age and experience, then crushed all of them. Sort of like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akiko_Suwanai

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 21 2012, 08:44 PM

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Mar 21 2012, 09:23 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Mar 21 2012, 02:01 PM) *
Let's talk about our music heroes which aren't guitarists!
Which non-guitar musicians are so good at their playing you sometimes wanted to play their instrument?

I'll start with my biggest keyboard hero: Jon Lord! This guy is a wizard - whatever he plays, it sound great and groovy! His solos often outshined mr. Blackmore himself. A real virtuoso.

Mike Portnoy. I really don't need to say much about him, everybody knows everything there's to know... I can only mention that his out-of-this-world skill isn't what I like the most about him, it's his attitude and driving power. Gotta love Mike wink.gif

I have lots of others on my mind, but I want to see your inputs on this one smile.gif

Really loved the Jon Lord Video. I love Deep Purple with the rock organ.

Here is another hero played with all big stars did a lot of music for motion picturs: Toots Tielemans

or http://youtu.be/yKnG_9q4crA

Another great musican is Keith Jarret: check out his concert in Koln.
http://youtu.be/Y0NO_xGRXIY

Here is a great sax player: Zoot Sims

Or Miles Davis:
Tutu

or
so what http://youtu.be/7Q9QXjZsMBY

This post has been edited by playaxeman: Mar 21 2012, 09:29 PM

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 21 2012, 10:33 PM
Instructor
Dennis Chambers One of my favorite drummers!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 23 2012, 05:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Mar 21 2012, 06:33 PM) *
Dennis Chambers One of my favorite drummers!

He is awesome! I enjoy seeing drummers as much as seeing guitar player. I don't get fun when they do a drum solo, but I really enjoy them on a musical situation. This is another rock drummer that I like:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 24 2012, 12:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 23 2012, 04:31 PM) *
He is awesome! I enjoy seeing drummers as much as seeing guitar player. I don't get fun when they do a drum solo, but I really enjoy them on a musical situation. This is another rock drummer that I like:

Man he is incredible!!!I love Travis Barker!!! Used to be a one of the best drummers in the world!!!
He almost died in a plane crush a few years ago!

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 24 2012, 12:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Lynne Jackaman, singer from Saint Jude. What a freakin voice this girl has!
If you have 6 minutes spare then have a listen to the acoustic track she done backstage.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 24 2012, 08:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Mar 23 2012, 08:10 PM) *
Man he is incredible!!!I love Travis Barker!!! Used to be a one of the best drummers in the world!!!
He almost died in a plane crush a few years ago!

yes, I know it! I hope that Blink come here any time to see him playing live.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Mar 25 2012, 04:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 24 2012, 07:00 PM) *
yes, I know it! I hope that Blink come here any time to see him playing live.

Are they still playing together????

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 25 2012, 09:40 AM
Instructor
My fav drummer biggrin.gif

Behold Morgan Rose from Sevendust!

+Quote Post
waggers
Mar 25 2012, 09:57 AM
GMC:er
This is my favourite non guitar musician. To be honest, it's nothing to do with her ukelele playing or her singing cool.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Mar 25 2012, 11:32 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great entries here biggrin.gif

I have another one: This girl combines her violin skills with dancing and modern music. She has some GREAT stuff on the channel and is always experimenting for something new! Very exiting to listen and watch!

--------------------

+Quote Post
derper
Mar 25 2012, 08:43 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hiromi:

And whoever is playing bass with joe pass....he seems to be just slightly out-playing Joe near the end of the vid, ON A STAND UP BASS!! Plus, he looks just like Hyde from "That 70's Show". tongue.gif

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:03 PM