Weird Problem With My Tube Amp ..., concerning tubes
Mister_Riff
Apr 4 2010, 05:54 PM
GMC:er
Hello GMC

Yesterday I had a strange problem with my ENGL Ritchie Blackmore: One of my tubes (the big ones powering the poweramp) lit up way brighter than it usually does. Also strange was that I could smell nothing wrong (no burning smell, it just smells hot but that must be the tubes) and there also wasn't a drop in volume or anything like that. And even stranger was when I put the amp in standby the tube went back to normal and when I turned standby off, it didn't return.

I'm completely puzzled by this ... huh.gif

Also the amp is brand new, hasn't been moved around (only the transport by UPS) and hasn't been subjected to extreme volume or anything like that. The only recent thing is that I have bought a TC G major 2 and that that has been inserted into the Effects loop (input and output is completely normal)

Any ideas what this might be or what I have to do now?

Here is a picture showing the bright tube (just happened to have my camera nearby smile.gif ):
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG 1570
Ibanez RGA 121 CDO

Amps:
ENGL Ritchie Blackmore/Framus Cabinet (V30's)
simple practise amp
epiphone valve junior

Effects:

Line 6 POD 2.0
lot's of pedals
TC Electronics G Major 2

Recording and such:
BOSS BR-600
BOSS DR-880
Digitech JamMan
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 4 2010, 11:03 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
In general a too bright glowing tube is a sign it's bad.
That it went back to normal in standby mode could very well be. My bet is that you'll experience it again, with the same tube. Keep your ears open for crackle and pops.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mister_Riff
Apr 5 2010, 08:22 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 5 2010, 12:03 AM) *
In general a too bright glowing tube is a sign it's bad.
That it went back to normal in standby mode could very well be. My bet is that you'll experience it again, with the same tube. Keep your ears open for crackle and pops.

So if I replace the tube ... is it possible to just replace the bad one, or do I have to replace all 4? (I've heard power amp tubes aren't exactly cheap dry.gif )

And If I play the amp, with the bad tube in it ... is it possible that I'm damaging the amp or will I just have reduced volume? (because it's a poweramp-tube)

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG 1570
Ibanez RGA 121 CDO

Amps:
simple practise amp
epiphone valve junior

Effects:

Line 6 POD 2.0
lot's of pedals
TC Electronics G Major 2

Recording and such:
BOSS BR-600
BOSS DR-880
Digitech JamMan

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 5 2010, 12:00 PM
QUOTE (Mister_Riff @ Apr 5 2010, 09:22 AM) *
So if I replace the tube ... is it possible to just replace the bad one, or do I have to replace all 4? (I've heard power amp tubes aren't exactly cheap dry.gif )

Replace all of them for a matched quad. If you're lucky your poweramp tubes are marked with a number, if you can (from ENGL) get the same kind with the same marking you will have a set that will fit right in without you biasing the amp. Being a german amp, and my H&K has a sticker on the tubes for this purpose, but I'm not sure others does this. My H&K was the first amp with this system.
I'd wait for the crackle and pop or a fuse going before exchanging any tubes.

And If I play the amp, with the bad tube in it ... is it possible that I'm damaging the amp or will I just have reduced volume? (because it's a poweramp-tube)

It will sound baaaaaaaaad and if it dies completely you'll blow a fuse.

+Quote Post
Mister_Riff
Apr 5 2010, 01:36 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 5 2010, 01:00 PM) *
Replace all of them for a matched quad. If you're lucky your poweramp tubes are marked with a number, if you can (from ENGL) get the same kind with the same marking you will have a set that will fit right in without you biasing the amp. Being a german amp, and my H&K has a sticker on the tubes for this purpose, but I'm not sure others does this. My H&K was the first amp with this system.
I'd wait for the crackle and pop or a fuse going before exchanging any tubes.

It will sound baaaaaaaaad and if it dies completely you'll blow a fuse.

On the tubes is a number and searching thomann, I can find that tube ... only problem is that most guitar stores work with "a guy" that only works with a certain type of tube and won't put in the tubes of your choice. (one of my friends had that problem: they only want to install high quality tubes, no cheap tubes so they don't get blamed for problems)

So little real luthiers and guitar-techs in my area sad.gif

I think I'll be on the safe side and call as soon as I can to have it replaced ... and maybe let them do a quicky check of my amp

Thx for all the help MickeM wink.gif really appreciate it smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG 1570
Ibanez RGA 121 CDO

Amps:
simple practise amp
epiphone valve junior

Effects:

Line 6 POD 2.0
lot's of pedals
TC Electronics G Major 2

Recording and such:
BOSS BR-600
BOSS DR-880
Digitech JamMan

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 5 2010, 03:37 PM
Instructor
Tubes that come from factory are usually one of the worst quality tubes, because they are expendable and not cheap, so whatever companies can do to make their amps cheaper, they do it. Cutting corners on tubes is one of them. So, your tubes don't need to be "from the factory" to work properly. Usually when you buy a new tube amp, re-tubing with some good quality tubes is the first thing you will do (depending on the amp and the tubes installed).

It seems to me that your tube will burn out soon. When you decide to get them new, get them as a matched 4 x 5881 set. Sovtek and Tung-Sol are great choices.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 5 2010, 03:42 PM
Learning Tone Master
Just continue to play your amp and only think about getting your amp to a tech if you have serious problems (volume drop, smell, loud popping noises...) If you have to replace the tubes, it is the best thing to go for the expensive ones! They sound better and last longer, when you get the same cheapo ones you might get the same problems...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
fkalich
Apr 5 2010, 03:50 PM
Looks like it is red plating. Don't play the amp, replace power tubes with a new matched set. You can destroy major components on your amp playing with tube that is red plating.

In the US, Eurotubes is the place to go for a good set at a good price. I don't know about where you are.

edit: here is their site, they have a lot of great information about amps and amp problems. I have bought from them and find them to have great service. As I said, probably not in Belgium, but the forum is read by others who might find this useful. Although Yngwie endorses them, so maybe they sell where you are.

http://eurotubes.com/

When you get your new tubes, learn how to set the bias. They also explain that on this site. You have to set the bias on most amps when you change power tubes, there are a few that do this automatically.

QUOTE (Mister_Riff @ Apr 4 2010, 11:54 AM) *
Hello GMC

Yesterday I had a strange problem with my ENGL Ritchie Blackmore: One of my tubes (the big ones powering the poweramp) lit up way brighter than it usually does. Also strange was that I could smell nothing wrong (no burning smell, it just smells hot but that must be the tubes) and there also wasn't a drop in volume or anything like that. And even stranger was when I put the amp in standby the tube went back to normal and when I turned standby off, it didn't return.

I'm completely puzzled by this ... huh.gif

Also the amp is brand new, hasn't been moved around (only the transport by UPS) and hasn't been subjected to extreme volume or anything like that. The only recent thing is that I have bought a TC G major 2 and that that has been inserted into the Effects loop (input and output is completely normal)

Any ideas what this might be or what I have to do now?

Here is a picture showing the bright tube (just happened to have my camera nearby smile.gif ):
Attached Image

This post has been edited by fkalich: Apr 5 2010, 04:00 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 5 2010, 04:26 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Apr 5 2010, 04:50 PM) *
Looks like it is red plating. Don't play the amp, replace power tubes with a new matched set. You can destroy major components on your amp playing with tube that is red plating.

That would be a pair of tubes red plating as far as I see it.

To rule that out you can
- start the amp
- play for a couple of minutes (i.e not in standby)
- pull the plug from the wall socket (in order to drain the amp of current)
- wait for the tubes to cool

remove the tube that was glowing and exchange it with one from the other pair.
They sit in one pair of outer tubes, and one pair of middle tubes. So if this is one of the middle tubes glowing you sould sit it in an outer position.

If the tube in the glowing tubes old spot starts glowing there's a problem with your amps power. If the tube that used to glow now glows again it's a tube problem.

When you get your new tubes, learn how to set the bias.

Yes, it's a good idea to know how to service your tube amp yourself. At least for these reoccuring mainenance matters.

+Quote Post
Mister_Riff
Apr 6 2010, 05:04 PM

In the US, Eurotubes is the place to go for a good set at a good price. I don't know about where you are.

http://eurotubes.com/

When you get your new tubes, learn how to set the bias. They also explain that on this site. You have to set the bias on most amps when you change power tubes, there are a few that do this automatically.

If you think the amp is red plating I do have to say that the red glow is from LED's that are placed behind the tubes (to make it look more evil laugh.gif). Its only the one that is shining bright yellow ....

And about the site: checked that already but I'm probably the most clumsy person alive laugh.gif so I'm gonna leave it to the pro's

Ivan probably is right ... I still cant believe the sound quality I got from a head that's 1200€ tongue.gif cant wait to hear it with more expensive power tubes, I already got my dream tone (al be it with cheap tubes biggrin.gif )

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez RG 1570
Ibanez RGA 121 CDO

Amps:
simple practise amp
epiphone valve junior

Effects:

Line 6 POD 2.0
lot's of pedals
TC Electronics G Major 2

Recording and such:
BOSS BR-600
BOSS DR-880
Digitech JamMan

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 12 2010, 12:11 AM
Instructor
Good thing to do is to carry the amp once for a pro job, and watch while he works. Then you will see that it is not big deal, and you can do it yourself wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 12 2010, 11:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
Changing tubes is no big deal mate, just be careful and make sure it is completely isolated, just be aware of the operating voltages too, some amps (Mesa) have a fixed bias and only work properly with specific tubes, check what plate voltages your amp has and try and match th tubes a sbest you can, or you may need to bias the amp, you can do this with a volt meter and some electronic knowledge but unless you are qualified dont even try it, get it to a tech.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Apr 12 2010, 11:48 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 5 2010, 04:37 PM) *
Tubes that come from factory are usually one of the worst quality tubes, because they are expendable and not cheap, so whatever companies can do to make their amps cheaper, they do it. Cutting corners on tubes is one of them. So, your tubes don't need to be "from the factory" to work properly. Usually when you buy a new tube amp, re-tubing with some good quality tubes is the first thing you will do (depending on the amp and the tubes installed).

It seems to me that your tube will burn out soon. When you decide to get them new, get them as a matched 4 x 5881 set. Sovtek and Tung-Sol are great choices.

+1 The amp will sound even better with NOS tubes and the BIAS adjusted. I will also add Philips & Tungsram & RCA old tubes as possible choices.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 12 2010, 04:13 PM
You should replace them all, because as the guys said, you can break some other componnnents of the amp. Check the fuse also, so you're sure it's not becacuse of the electrical feeding.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 13 2010, 11:57 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
If its your first time doing this kind of setup, I recommend taking the amp to the tech and asking to stick around to see how its done. Later on you can tackle the job with more confidence wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:09 AM