Attenuator Advice, Need some info
Brandon Earman
Mar 2 2010, 10:29 PM
Learning Roadie
I've got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and I'm looking into an attenuator. My amp has a Celestion 8 ohm, 25 watt speaker.

This amp sits in my room and I can't turn it up past 3 or it's way too loud for my computer speakers to keep up with. I want to be able to get the good tones that the amp gets when the tubes are glowing red smile.gif

I just really don't know anything about attenuators.. Anyone who can shed some light or have any advice on which attenuator to buy and where to buy one?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 2 2010, 10:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hotplate would be the most obvious choice I think, but Weber has some that are way cheaper. Attenuators are expensive stuff, since they are containing heavy transformers. I would rather buy an amp-sim for my computer....

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 3 2010, 02:23 AM
Instructor
I don't own one, but I've done some extensive research recently because I plan to buy one very soon for my 100W beast. It seems most people on the internet agree that the best ones are Ultimate Attenuator and Koch Load Box II. They are both expensive, but if you want something transparent, this is it. I will buy the Ultimate one, they are not ultra expensive, but many say they are the best.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Mar 3 2010, 07:41 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 2 2010, 07:23 PM) *
I don't own one, but I've done some extensive research recently because I plan to buy one very soon for my 100W beast. It seems most people on the internet agree that the best ones are Ultimate Attenuator and Koch Load Box II. They are both expensive, but if you want something transparent, this is it. I will buy the Ultimate one, they are not ultra expensive, but many say they are the best.

Wow those are like 600 bucks! LOL almost as much as my amp itself. The ones I saw on ebay were around $25. Not sure if I trust this though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATTENUATOR-FOR-FENDER-...=item2eab8098ff

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 3 2010, 06:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
Nah dude those don't really work...

A real attentuator decreases the volume by converting the power into heat - it HAS to be a little bigger than that device of ebay!
Try a THD hotplate, they have the best price/value ratio imho but they are also expensive, there is no way arround it.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Mar 3 2010, 09:00 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll probably just hold off for now. The THD hotplates did look nice and <$400 is a little bit more reasonable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 3 2010, 09:05 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
FWIW I bought a THD some years ago after researching the alternatives. At the time it was, to me, the best value/performance available - but that was a few years ago.

It was considerably cheaper than 400USD though - more like 200 brand new.

One thing to aware of with THD Hotplates is that there are several versions and you have to make sure you get the right one for your amp - i.e. an 8 ohm one. Another is that it does suck a little bit of tone (I think all attenuators do this) - but that can be made back up both on the THD and also by just altering the eq on your guitar a bit.

This post has been edited by tonymiro: Mar 3 2010, 09:06 PM

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 3 2010, 09:21 PM
Instructor
That's just an audio tapper that you plug into FX Loop. I'm not sure if it works, but I wouldn't waste money on that. As Zakk said, THD Hotplate is another good option, but that is not cheap as well. There is no way around it, they are expensive.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:40 AM