Beatles Style Lesson-acoustic
Blister
Jun 3 2011, 02:34 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Jerry,

I am enjoying working on your Beatle's Style Lesson. It is really enjoyable to listen to, as well (of course, the reason for me wanting to learn it smile.gif).

My question is regarding the G-string (capo-ed at 5th fret = C). How is that to be played? When listening, it sounds as if it's intended as soft or background-sounding. When I'm practicing it seems to play out too loud. Should it be played more like a grace note? Is there a musical or guitar term for the way this is played? I hope these questions makes sense.

In the comments to the lesson, someone referred to BallyKissAngel. I live in the United States & never heard of it. I looked it up on Youtube. & ended up buying season 1. I do like the show.

Thanks again!

Gary F.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jun 4 2011, 01:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jun 3 2011, 03:34 AM) *
Hi Jerry,

I am enjoying working on your Beatle's Style Lesson. It is really enjoyable to listen to, as well (of course, the reason for me wanting to learn it smile.gif).

My question is regarding the G-string (capo-ed at 5th fret = C). How is that to be played? When listening, it sounds as if it's intended as soft or background-sounding. When I'm practicing it seems to play out too loud. Should it be played more like a grace note? Is there a musical or guitar term for the way this is played? I hope these questions makes sense.

In the comments to the lesson, someone referred to BallyKissAngel. I live in the United States & never heard of it. I looked it up on Youtube. & ended up buying season 1. I do like the show.

Thanks again!

Gary F.

Hi Gary, thank you for commenting my lesson.
I see what you mean with your question. To be honest, I didn't think about a grace note while I was writing that lesson. Instead, I play all the coupled notes (thumb+middle fingers) with a slight accent.
I can't recall another musical term other than ghost note to identify some de-emphasized sounds. Grace notes are ornaments wich usually involve two sounds, like a quick hammer-on/pull-off or slide.
If you ear is telling you that the C note is too loud, you need to practice the fingerpicking technique to get all the possible nuances from your hands.
From my experience, this is just a problem for people who are starting to learning the fingerpicking technique. I don't know how much you master this technique but my suggestion is to play different patterns with your picking hand, even with open strings. You should experiment with accents in different position in the bars, to get a real control of your fingers.
Yeah, I also discovered that theme after the comment of our good-old member fkalich but I don't know anything about that show biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Blister
Jun 4 2011, 02:11 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Jerry Arcidiacono @ Jun 3 2011, 08:31 PM) *
If you ear is telling you that the C note is too loud, you need to practice the fingerpicking technique to get all the possible nuances from your hands.

From my experience, this is just a problem for people who are starting to learning the fingerpicking technique. I don't know how much you master this technique but my suggestion is to play different patterns with your picking hand, even with open strings. You should experiment with accents in different position in the bars, to get a real control of your fingers.

Thank you very much. I see what you are saying. I am probably being more concerned with my fretting hand & probably not concentrating on my fingerpicking. Now that I am getting the fretting positions down, I can work a little more on picking fingers! I haven't got my speed fast enough to use even the slowest backing track, but I'm getting closer.

I'm also playing this on my electric (don't have acoustic).

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Jun 4 2011, 09:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jun 4 2011, 03:11 AM) *
Thank you very much. I see what you are saying. I am probably being more concerned with my fretting hand & probably not concentrating on my fingerpicking. Now that I am getting the fretting positions down, I can work a little more on picking fingers! I haven't got my speed fast enough to use even the slowest backing track, but I'm getting closer.

I'm also playing this on my electric (don't have acoustic).

Gary

Ok, let me know if you need some help in the future with this lesson smile.gif

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:33 PM