Double Alterations
Ramiro Delforte
Jan 7 2009, 06:33 AM
Instructor
I'm going to bring some information about the double flat and double sharp notes.
These double alterations are enharmonic names of other notes.

Double flats

Cbb = Bb or A#
Dbb = C
Ebb = D
Fbb = Eb or D#
Gbb = F
Abb = G
Bbb = A

Double sharps (The simbol of the double sharp is like a cross, here I'm going to use two numerals instead)

C## = D
D## = E
E## = F# or Gb
F## = G
G## = A
A## = G
B## = C# or Db

So now you can see that the double alterations are the same note but with another name. This theory is useful when you have a scale like G# major.

G# A# B# C# D# E# F## G#

This scale is exactly the same as Ab major

Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab

Usually you'll be using the Ab scale and avoid the G#, but that doesn't matter. The theory to make the G# uses a double alteration. Let's see other example but with a double flat: Fb major.

Fb Gb Ab Bbb Cb Db Eb Fb

This scale is exactly the same as E

E F# G# A B C# D# E

The explanation to the construction of chords with double alteration is simple too.
Imagine you want to build an augmented chord from C.
So I imagine everybody knows that the answer would be C- E- G# (root- major third- augmented fifth)
Now, I want to build an augmented triad but this time starting on C#.
The answer would be C#- E#- G## (root- major third- augmented fifth). The trick is here. Some of you could think "oh! but the G## is an A". That's true but the name A corresponds to the sixth of C so in that case it would be the minor sixth (C#- A) and not the augmented fifth (C#- G##). So the notes are the same but they are named different.

I wish that will help you to understand the double alterations.
I posted this information because Enforcer told me that there wasn't a post about this theme. I hope this serves to everybody.

Be free to ask any questions about.
Good luck.
biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 12 2009, 01:02 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ramiro Delforte @ Jan 7 2009, 07:33 AM) *
I'm going to bring some information about the double flat and double sharp notes.
These double alterations are enharmonic names of other notes.

Double flats

Cbb = Bb or A#
Dbb = C
Ebb = D
Fbb = Eb or D#
Gbb = F
Abb = G
Bbb = A

Double sharps (The simbol of the double sharp is like a cross, here I'm going to use two numerals instead)

C## = D
D## = E
E## = F# or Gb
F## = G
G## = A
A## = G
B## = C# or Db

So now you can see that the double alterations are the same note but with another name. This theory is useful when you have a scale like G# major.

G# A# B# C# D# E# F## G#

This scale is exactly the same as Ab major

Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab

Usually you'll be using the Ab scale and avoid the G#, but that doesn't matter. The theory to make the G# uses a double alteration. Let's see other example but with a double flat: Fb major.

Fb Gb Ab Bbb Cb Db Eb Fb

This scale is exactly the same as E

E F# G# A B C# D# E

The explanation to the construction of chords with double alteration is simple too.
Imagine you want to build an augmented chord from C.
So I imagine everybody knows that the answer would be C- E- G# (root- major third- augmented fifth)
Now, I want to build an augmented triad but this time starting on C#.
The answer would be C#- E#- G## (root- major third- augmented fifth). The trick is here. Some of you could think "oh! but the G## is an A". That's true but the name A corresponds to the sixth of C so in that case it would be the minor sixth (C#- A) and not the augmented fifth (C#- G##). So the notes are the same but they are named different.

I wish that will help you to understand the double alterations.
I posted this information because Enforcer told me that there wasn't a post about this theme. I hope this serves to everybody.

Be free to ask any questions about.
Good luck.
biggrin.gif

Thank you man, that lesson surely enlightened a very mistery about the music theory for me, and I am glad you clarified that. It wasn't hard, but its always hard when you dont know it biggrin.gif

Before this lesson I was using G and G# in the same scale notation and I see now that was incorrect.

glad I asked that question laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 12 2009, 01:51 AM
Instructor
yes, it's true. This is very helpfull Ramiro.
Thanks!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jan 12 2009, 11:26 PM
Instructor
I'm glad you liked this little theory help.
Be sure to ask anything you'd like to see here at this part of the board smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:19 AM