> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Mtp December Thread - Zion
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 2 2009, 06:02 PM
Instructor
Hello Zion! This is your MTP thread for December! Please post here your CV and which are the things that you want to work! Please also post your influences and favorite music.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 2 2009, 08:14 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello Gabriel (and fellow MTP'ers)

These last couple of months I have really been on a down slope in regards to my practice.. Not because I didn't have the interest, because I love to play with my band every tuesday, but practicing home has been really difficult.. Last year I was part of the "test" team who got mentored by Chris. This was a very rewarding and very awesome way to practice for me.. Not only did I have somebody to point out the places I needed to practice, but I also had someone to "answer" to, meaning if I didn't do my "homework" I would put myself in a bad light.

After the MTP test phase ended, Chris and I continued to work with eachother, and while it was excellent in the beginning, it became clear that Chris had too many things hawking his time. He meant well, and was always very helpful but he just didn't have the time to mentor me.. So we more or less "split" apart.

Now after being in a bit of a down period practice wise, I saw the opportunity to grab a MTP, and lucky as I apparently am, I came in the group that gets to be mentored by none other than yourself.. That is excellent.. I've always loved your lessons, and I believe the first lesson in the "test" mtp last year was one of your lessons, if i remember correctly.. I really like your style and sound that you have, and perhaps I will be able to incorporate some of that into my playing..

Who am i:
My name is David. I am Danish, but currently live in Sweden. I am 30 years old, and have been playing guitar since I joined GMC back in may 2008.. I was playing in a band when I was 17, but after the band fell apart I quit playing.. After 10 year I decided to pick up the guitar again, and after only 3 months being on GMC (and really really committing myself) I was already lightyears ahead of my playing ability when I was 17.. Thats how awesome GMC is.. smile.gif

Because I really committed myself and dedicated a lot of time to guitar practice, I gave myself my all time dream guitar, which was (and still is) a Gibson Les Paul. I bought my LP last year, and boy do I love it. It's true what they say though.. When you get your first LP, you just want more and more.. wink.gif

What I would like:
I have focused primarily on the minor and major pentatonic scale, and I think I have a pretty solid foundation on this scale. I would like to learn more scales as well, but more importantly I am having trouble incorporating new ideas into my playing.. Somehow I find it very difficult to incorporate vibrato, legato, slides, hammer-ons and pull-offs, and i just tend to go back and plug plug plug away as usual..
I would also like to improve my picking speed.. Doesn't have to be speed shredding or anything like that.. just a wee bit faster than i am now..
Also, because I have been focussing totally on lead guitar, my rhythm guitar is lacking behind..

To sum up, these are the things I would like to work on:
  • Incorporate new ideas and techniques into my soloing
  • Techniques: Vibrato, HO & PO (bends)
  • Improve picking speed
  • Rhythm guitar

Last but not least, I would like to practice whatever you believe I am missing or "not good enough" at..

As a show for my skills I will direct you to the thread of my very first performance in front of an audience.. This is how I play when I am playing with improvised soloing. Perhaps you can already see on those what I need to work on.. smile.gif

You can locate the thread right here

Furthermore I have some old REC and MTP videos here..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgL6F-_U0zg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fidV-XFPtsQ

I love hard rock, rock, blues, melodic metal and have always been very inspired by Slash

Bands:
Rev Theory
Led Zeppelin
Van Halen
Guns'n'roses
All that Remains
Disturbed
Dire Straits
Jonny Lang

One last thing: I am really looking forward to working with you.. It's going to be great, i am sure.. Thanks.. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 2 2009, 09:35 PM
Instructor
Thanks for the CV Zion! I'm planning your assignment. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2009, 12:44 AM
Instructor
Well David! This is your first assignment for December. I’ve been checking your videos and I first want to say that I like your style and I also want to tell you that I love your guitar!

I noticed that we have plenty of things to work and that this will be very funny! The first two things that I note in your playing is that we must work on Bending and Vibrato. Your bends usually don’t reach the correct pitch and generally your vibrato isn’t stronger enough. In this MTP I will give you exercises to improve the different techniques based in the style that you want to play.

The first assignment will be a lesson by my own (Velvet Revolver Style) that will let me know exactly your level at different techniques to decide what type of exercises you will need in the next assignments. The lesson has these 4 elements that you must work:

* Rhythm Guitar / Riffing
* Vibrato
* Bending
* Slash’s Style

Pay attention on every item. You’ll find the theory behind in the lesson’s text.

LINK TO THE LESSON

Attached File  Velvet_Style_Lesson_backings___GP.zip ( 2.45MB ) Number of downloads: 115

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 3 2009, 10:07 AM
Learning Roadie
wow.. that's awesome..

I cannot tell you how excited I already am to be working and delivering assignments.. it's going to be fun..

On that note, how are we doing this? I mean, when are we supposed to deliver? Is it something like monday is new assignment day, and sunday is deliver? I am just asking because it's already thursday.. heh.. wink.gif

-David

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2009, 02:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Dec 3 2009, 06:07 AM) *
wow.. that's awesome..

I cannot tell you how excited I already am to be working and delivering assignments.. it's going to be fun..

On that note, how are we doing this? I mean, when are we supposed to deliver? Is it something like monday is new assignment day, and sunday is deliver? I am just asking because it's already thursday.. heh.. ;)

-David

As we are on Thursday, we could set the deadline for this assignment the next Tuesday and you would have the second assignment on Wednesday. If you finish it before that day you can post it and I'll give you the 2nd assignment earlier.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 4 2009, 08:46 PM
Learning Roadie
hey Gabriel..

I cannot get your backing track zip file working.. it tells me it's broken?

Can you help?

-David

Also: Tuesday deadline is not a good day for me, as i am practicing with the band all evening, and will not have time to do a video..

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Dec 4 2009, 08:47 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 5 2009, 01:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Dec 4 2009, 04:46 PM) *
hey Gabriel..

I cannot get your backing track zip file working.. it tells me it's broken?

Can you help?

-David

Also: Tuesday deadline is not a good day for me, as i am practicing with the band all evening, and will not have time to do a video..

Attached File  Backing_track_140.mp3 ( 1.36MB ) Number of downloads: 139

Attached File  Backing_track_160.mp3 ( 1.18MB ) Number of downloads: 153

Wednesday would be ok?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 8 2009, 02:14 PM
Learning Roadie
phew.. Looks like I am finally back.. biggrin.gif

Band practice was cancelled today, so i'll be able to practice the lesson again tonight.. great.. biggrin.gif

again, thanks for your earlier comments on my take.. Greatly appreciated..

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 8 2009, 06:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Dec 8 2009, 10:14 AM) *
phew.. Looks like I am finally back.. biggrin.gif

Band practice was cancelled today, so i'll be able to practice the lesson again tonight.. great.. biggrin.gif

again, thanks for your earlier comments on my take.. Greatly appreciated..

Cool Zion! I'm glad to know that the email comments helped! I know that you can solve everything in a day but maybe this helps to note in which thing you have to focus. Can't wait!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 9 2009, 09:37 PM
Learning Roadie
So here is this weeks assignment..
There are a few mistakes but i hope you like it..

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 10 2009, 06:57 PM
Instructor
Well done David! You really improved yesterday's version with this new one! The timming is perfect in the rhythmic sections and the vibrato sounds much better! There are still some intonation problems in the bends so I think that we must work on it!
Maybe you could record a new version of this one at the end of the month to see the improvements and we would use it as the REC take? What do you think?
I'll give you the second assignment today. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 10 2009, 07:57 PM
Instructor
Hello again Zion! This is your second assignment. I was thinking on your exercise for this week and I discovered today's Lazlo's lesson. I checked it out and I think that this lesson is exactly what we need at this point. It is something simple with a lot of different bending. This lesson will allow you to concentrate exclusively in your bends.
Pay attention in these two things:
  • Reach the correct pitch in your bends
  • Add vibrato in the notes that Lazlo does it

BENDING LESSON

I know that maybe the lesson is a bit long for a week, let me know what do you think. If you don't have enough time we could divide it!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 10 2009, 09:03 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 10 2009, 06:57 PM) *
Well done David! You really improved yesterday's version with this new one! The timming is perfect in the rhythmic sections and the vibrato sounds much better! There are still some intonation problems in the bends so I think that we must work on it!
Maybe you could record a new version of this one at the end of the month to see the improvements and we would use it as the REC take? What do you think?
I'll give you the second assignment today. smile.gif

Thank you for your comments.. That was excellent news, and I am really happy..

ya, i think i can do another take later.. It could be fun to see if there's been any improvement..

overall though, i think there have been improvements already.. Like mentioned earlier I haven't really been playing rhythm, and doing this lesson (and at that speed), was really difficult.. In the beginning I was totally tensed up in my right hand.. I still am to a certain degree, but definately not as much as in the beginning.. i also learned a bit about how your riff was made up, which was great.. maybe i'll be able to do my own at some point.. I also worked a lot on trying to make my bends "faster", and that was also a winner.. I noticed that i have no problems with the fast bends on notes where i usually hit the correct pitch, but if i mess it up one time, i tend to do it a lot slower again (like the bend in this lesson going from 15b17..

Also, I have recently changed my regular G-string to a wound G-string, and I have to get used to getting the bends a lot higher on this string.. it's a huge difference, but i love the tone of the wound string more..

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 10 2009, 07:57 PM) *
Hello again Zion! This is your second assignment. I was thinking on your exercise for this week and I discovered today's Lazlo's lesson. I checked it out and I think that this lesson is exactly what we need at this point. It is something simple with a lot of different bending. This lesson will allow you to concentrate exclusively in your bends.
Pay attention in these two things:
  • Reach the correct pitch in your bends
  • Add vibrato in the notes that Lazlo does it

BENDING LESSON

I know that maybe the lesson is a bit long for a week, let me know what do you think. If you don't have enough time we could divide it!

Awesome lesson.. Its going to be great to be working on my bends..

In regards to the time.. I think i *might* be able to learn the lesson in time, but practicing this many bends might shorten my practice sessions.. They do put a lot of strain on my fingers..

I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of days..

EDIT: i played around with it and i think i have memorized the first 4 videos (out of 8), so i think i can manage it till next week.. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Dec 10 2009, 10:04 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 10 2009, 10:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (-Zion- @ Dec 10 2009, 05:03 PM) *
Thank you for your comments.. That was excellent news, and I am really happy..

ya, i think i can do another take later.. It could be fun to see if there's been any improvement..

overall though, i think there have been improvements already.. Like mentioned earlier I haven't really been playing rhythm, and doing this lesson (and at that speed), was really difficult.. In the beginning I was totally tensed up in my right hand.. I still am to a certain degree, but definately not as much as in the beginning.. i also learned a bit about how your riff was made up, which was great.. maybe i'll be able to do my own at some point.. I also worked a lot on trying to make my bends "faster", and that was also a winner.. I noticed that i have no problems with the fast bends on notes where i usually hit the correct pitch, but if i mess it up one time, i tend to do it a lot slower again (like the bend in this lesson going from 15b17..

Also, I have recently changed my regular G-string to a wound G-string, and I have to get used to getting the bends a lot higher on this string.. it's a huge difference, but i love the tone of the wound string more..

Awesome lesson.. Its going to be great to be working on my bends..

In regards to the time.. I think i *might* be able to learn the lesson in time, but practicing this many bends might shorten my practice sessions.. They do put a lot of strain on my fingers..

I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of days..

EDIT: i played around with it and i think i have memorized the first 4 videos (out of 8), so i think i can manage it till next week.. biggrin.gif

Fantastic! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 12 2009, 08:59 PM
Learning Roadie
I have played around with the lesson for the past couple of days and here is a little taste..
I am having some difficulty with the ending, probably because I haven't practiced that bit as much as the rest..

Anyways.. have a taste and please give me pointers if i need any

edit:
i cannot upload to this forum, so here is a link

let me tell you.. it feels really great to be back in the guitar practicing business again.. my fingers hurts like *ell, but this is awesome.. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Dec 12 2009, 09:08 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 12 2009, 11:07 PM
Instructor
I like the take! It seems that this lesson will really help you to improve your bending. There are some bends that sound out of pitch yet. I feel that the lesson still needs some more practice but you are working this very good. I just feel that your fingers need more training and these are the right licks for it! So keep on working in this way and remember to add vibrato in the long notes!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 13 2009, 01:08 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 12 2009, 11:07 PM) *
I like the take! It seems that this lesson will really help you to improve your bending. There are some bends that sound out of pitch yet. I feel that the lesson still needs some more practice but you are working this very good. I just feel that your fingers need more training and these are the right licks for it! So keep on working in this way and remember to add vibrato in the long notes!

Glad you like it.. i will continue working on those bends.. are there any in particular ones that stand out.. i know the last ones are a bit off but i think those in the beginning are alright? but i completely agree, that lessons like this are great for my fingers and my bending..

about the vibrato.. i did so in the beginning, but i will do it again.. i stopped because he is not adding vibrato to them in the lesson..

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Dec 13 2009, 01:11 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 14 2009, 02:03 PM
Instructor
yes, the bends from the beginning are ok! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Dec 14 2009, 08:30 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 14 2009, 02:03 PM) *
yes, the bends from the beginning are ok! smile.gif

glad to hear it.. smile.gif

It is actually my daughters 1st birthday today although we held it yesterday.. I think i am getting sick now.. Today have been just awful in regards to that.. Funny thing is, after playing a while i dont feel that sick.. maybe it's just because my mind is somewhere else..

anyways, i am still planning on doing the video on wednesday.. it just all depends on how sick i am getting..

edit: wow.. i can really feel my bending getting better or my fingers getting stronger.. whatever the case.. i like it a lot.. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Dec 14 2009, 08:45 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:23 PM