Challenge Ben 8
Ben Higgins
Apr 14 2013, 02:11 PM
Instructor
Challenge Ben 8

Hello my guitar abusing buddies ! I've been meaning to upload this lick for ages but now at last I can present you with Lick 8 !!

It's a slippery legato run, going into an ascending A Minor sweep, sliding up to a pull off and a tapped high note ! Confusing ? Yep, I know ! Don't worry, the tab should explain everything. smile.gif

Attached File  CB8.mp3 ( 502.39K ) Number of downloads: 276

Attached Image

Attached File  CB_8.gp5 ( 2.25K ) Number of downloads: 164

Enjoy ! And steal, steal, steal !! cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 18 2013, 06:05 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Hey Ben, I gave this challenge a try. smile.gif The tap/bend at the end was the toughest part for me. Most of my takes where scratched cause of that part!

https://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/ben-lick-8

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Apr 18 2013, 06:35 PM
GMC:er
Sweet playing, DeGroot!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 18 2013, 06:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Apr 18 2013, 05:05 PM) *
Hey Ben, I gave this challenge a try. smile.gif The tap/bend at the end was the toughest part for me. Most of my takes where scratched cause of that part!

https://soundcloud.com/degroot-2/ben-lick-8

Wa-hey !! Well done, brave warrior for stepping up and laying it down ! Sounded very good to me.. works very well with your style and tone. That sweep part sounded so Yngwie ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 18 2013, 06:46 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Thanks dudes! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 19 2013, 01:56 AM
Learning Tone Master
and just so you know, I did steal one of your challenge riffs for cosmin's southern metal

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 19 2013, 02:04 AM
Here's my interpretation of #8 ...

Attached File  IC_B_010.MP3 ( 417.12K ) Number of downloads: 207

+Quote Post
tonyk
Apr 20 2013, 11:25 PM
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Apr 18 2013, 05:46 PM) *
Thanks dudes! smile.gif

Very good degroot

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 21 2013, 09:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 19 2013, 01:04 AM) *
Here's my interpretation of #8 ...

Attached File  IC_B_010.MP3 ( 417.12K ) Number of downloads: 207

Excellent, another jazzy interlude - love it !

I bet it was tricky to play on a clean setting ?

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 21 2013, 10:54 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 21 2013, 01:41 AM) *
Excellent, another jazzy interlude - love it !

I bet it was tricky to play on a clean setting ?

Ha, ha - yeah. I also did it (the lick) on an electric sitar. I didn't get it as legato and 'connected' as I would have liked to.
I obviously adjusted the key of the harmony (G7) and consequently I had to 'adjust' the lick a little. The elec sitar doesn't enough frets either and bending is funky on it above the 15th fret.
This lick's a keeper - it's good over dominant chords as well as both major and minor. I'm kinda lazy. I like licks I can play over anything biggrin.gif .

*I don't listen to your version before I go about working them into something. I just read it.
The first one you posted you essentially said "do it any way you want to" ... which is pretty much where I live.
I listen to your's and anybody else's after I've uploaded my version. I'm always super impressed how friggin' clean and precise all you guys are. I cannot play like that (even when I use that much gain).

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 21 2013, 11:00 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 22 2013, 08:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 21 2013, 09:54 PM) *
This lick's a keeper - it's good over dominant chords as well as both major and minor. I'm kinda lazy. I like licks I can play over anything biggrin.gif .

Haha, hear ya.. I'm probably the same myself ! smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 21 2013, 09:54 PM) *
*I don't listen to your version before I go about working them into something. I just read it.
The first one you posted you essentially said "do it any way you want to" ... which is pretty much where I live.
I listen to your's and anybody else's after I've uploaded my version. I'm always super impressed how friggin' clean and precise all you guys are. I cannot play like that (even when I use that much gain).

Extra respect to you then ! I think it's harder to learn a lick from just tab etc without hearing it being played.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 22 2013, 09:49 AM
I don't know if it's harder. I'm 50. I even pre-date soundpages with tab (or notation).
Since they are just licks/lines sort of 'in space' - no harmony and no rhythm behind them - to me they are just a collection of notes. Not hearing you do it first allows me to see/hear that collection of notes in at least a few ways. I didn't even read what you said about it so I missed the Am part. I heard it and visualized it in G7. I'm sure a byproduct of my 'jazz' leanings.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:02 AM