Free Video Editing Software (windows & Mac)
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2014, 08:33 PM
GMC:er
If you are trying to cut better videos and are still stuck in the back of the bus using "Windows Moviemaker" or some variation of "iMovie", etc. I've got good news for ya smile.gif There is a FREE solution available. It's called DAVINCI RESOLVE 10 LITE. As you may know, Resolve is considered the best color correction/color grading software available and now a full non linear video editor (with a pro user interface) is built in!!!!

Here is the download link for WINDOWS

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/edit

Here is the download link for MACINTOSH

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/de...e&sdk=false

Here is info about all the features.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/edit
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 8 2014, 08:34 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Davidian
Apr 8 2014, 09:00 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Great! Thanks Todd!
I was looking for an alternative to Movie Maker earlier today. Perfect timing. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 8 2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks! will try smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2014, 10:46 PM
Happy to help smile.gif This is an amazingly powerful bit of software and the fact that it's free just staggers me. Moviemaker is a bit crap so I think you'll be thrilled with this as an upgrade smile.gif If you are not used to pro vid apps it will take a bit to get used to, but this is the type of tool the big names use so it's worth learning wink.gif There are wads of youtube tutorial vids about it smile.gif

QUOTE (Davidian @ Apr 8 2014, 04:00 PM) *
Great! Thanks Todd!
I was looking for an alternative to Movie Maker earlier today. Perfect timing. wink.gif

Let me know how it goes! smile.gif I"m going to try an HD (1920x1080) edit to see how the interface feels.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 8 2014, 04:54 PM) *
Thanks! will try smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 8 2014, 10:46 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 9 2014, 06:42 AM
Learning Tone Master

Thank you Todd smile.gif You made me curious so I will check this program. I will look exactly what offer this lite edition and how many things can do. I saw that full edition has a big price ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 9 2014, 08:21 AM
Learning Tone Master
Me again biggrin.gif

I'm at office (here I don't have a smart PC: I5CPU, 4GB ram) and I start to check this program without to read the guide biggrin.gif I thought it's the same like others video editing programs and my PC will support this. Wasn't a good idea because, I crash my windows ohmy.gif I don't know why but now my PC decided that it's more fun for me if he make fairly often a restart without asking for that laugh.gif

The program it's very cool if you have an amazing PC who can fly not run wink.gif Of course this program it's just for 12 GB ram or higher. Also it's recommended to have 2 GPU unit and others cool stuff that will make your computer to look as a Porsche biggrin.gif
So, apparently after I killed my PC, I read the guide laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 9 2014, 08:33 AM
Instructor
I was excited after I saw Your post but Monica took my excitation away tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 9 2014, 10:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 9 2014, 07:33 AM) *
I was excited after I saw Your post but Monica took my excitation away tongue.gif

Hahaha, wasn't my intention but be happy that somebody was more excited than You and she already tried this biggrin.gif The good thing is that I always make experiments on my office computer, so anything I crush don't hurts, only slows down my work (I can live with this) biggrin.gif

But now seriously, the program it's very cool. I tried to find on YT tips and tricks (actually a shortcut to skip the tutorial tongue.gif ) and I saw how you can made a normal video (with a black background wink.gif ) to look awesome. Unfortunately when I tried to do this, my desktop became a big black and of course this was the last image sad.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 9 2014, 08:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm trying to find somewhere where it says something about the requirements to run this, but I can't seem to find it. I finally got Sony Vegas working on my laptop, so I might just stick with that, but Resolve might be worth a try.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
SlowFingaX
Apr 9 2014, 09:08 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 9 2014, 09:33 AM) *

Same kind of feelings here! laugh.gif

--------------------
My Gear:

Jackson DX10D Dinky
Boss GT-10
Boss Micro BR BR-80
Korg Pandora PX4
Guitar Rig 5
Ezmix 2 + many metal packs
Reaper

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 9 2014, 09:20 PM
Won't install tongue.gif it says a newer version is already installed but I checked and nothing, weird. I installed and deleted a bunch of programs a few weeks ago maybe I didn't delete them properly

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 9 2014, 09:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 9 2014, 07:55 PM) *
I'm trying to find somewhere where it says something about the requirements to run this, but I can't seem to find it. I finally got Sony Vegas working on my laptop, so I might just stick with that, but Resolve might be worth a try.

You can read here about system requirements wink.gif

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/4805..._2012-08-30.pdf

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Apr 9 2014, 09:31 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 9 2014, 09:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 9 2014, 10:27 PM) *
You can read here about system requirements wink.gif

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/4805..._2012-08-30.pdf

Thank you. I think I'll just stick with Sony Vegas on my laptop then.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2014, 10:24 PM
I would NOT SUGGEST INSTALLING THIS ON OFFICE MACHINES smile.gif This is high end software and requires a pretty beefy setup. If you are running a computer that is a few years older, this is probably not gonna work. Install this on the newest, fastest machine you've got.

Also, probably a good idea to read the guide and info before installing anything, anywhere, just to be safe smile.gif

Computers in typical offices are typically not what you'd use for video editing. A computer that you've set up for multi track recording at home with lots of ram should do the trick :) I"ve got 8 gig of ram and a quad core processor and it's running great smile.gif

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 9 2014, 03:21 AM) *
Me again biggrin.gif

I'm at office (here I don't have a smart PC: I5CPU, 4GB ram) and I start to check this program without to read the guide biggrin.gif I thought it's the same like others video editing programs and my PC will support this. Wasn't a good idea because, I crash my windows ohmy.gif I don't know why but now my PC decided that it's more fun for me if he make fairly often a restart without asking for that laugh.gif

The program it's very cool if you have an amazing PC who can fly not run wink.gif Of course this program it's just for 12 GB ram or higher. Also it's recommended to have 2 GPU unit and others cool stuff that will make your computer to look as a Porsche biggrin.gif
So, apparently after I killed my PC, I read the guide laugh.gif

DARIUS: You recently upgraded your machine, so your probably fine smile.gif Installing this on an old office computer is bound to go wrong. I would have made a disclaimer if I thought folks would were going to go that route smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 9 2014, 03:33 AM) *

That's odd sad.gif Installed quick and easy and is running great but then again I'm not on WINDOWS. sad.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 9 2014, 04:20 PM) *
Won't install tongue.gif it says a newer version is already installed but I checked and nothing, weird. I installed and deleted a bunch of programs a few weeks ago maybe I didn't delete them properly

If your laptop is a few years old, yeah, stick with vegas. If you get a bigger rig at some point, this will still be free smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 9 2014, 03:55 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 9 2014, 10:26 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 9 2014, 10:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 9 2014, 11:24 PM) *
If your laptop is a few years old, yeah, stick with vegas. If you get a bigger rig at some point, this will still be free smile.gif

I might give it a go on my desktop. It's got 12 GB ram and should be beefy enough for it. Maybe tomorrow I'll try it out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2014, 10:53 PM
Make sure the GPU (graphics card) is up to spec as well smile.gif If it's got the integrated graphics chip in the mother board that's a no go. I've got 2 GB of ram in my beefy graphics card alone so even though my rig is only 8 gb of ram, the software runs fine as the GPU is beefy. smile.gif

The original post to the windows download has all the guides/references in it. I"m just using the software for editing and only at HD 1920x1080 resolution, so I"m at the bottom end what it can do. I have no need to work at 4k (4,096x2160) as I have nothing that shoots that high and nothing to display it on but the software can actually handle it smile.gif

It's a seriously high end bit of kit and that they give it away free is amazing. But yeah, it's meant to run on beefy rigs. I was thinking everyone would read the config guide, and install it on their beefed up home studio rig. Should have known better smile.gif Next time I'll make more caveats in the initial post.

Anyhoo, let me know how it goes smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 9 2014, 05:25 PM) *
I might give it a go on my desktop. It's got 12 GB ram and should be beefy enough for it. Maybe tomorrow I'll try it out.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Apr 10 2014, 07:28 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 9 2014, 09:24 PM) *
I would NOT SUGGEST INSTALLING THIS ON OFFICE MACHINES smile.gif This is high end software and requires a pretty beefy setup. If you are running a computer that is a few years older, this is probably not gonna work. Install this on the newest, fastest machine you've got.

Also, probably a good idea to read the guide and info before installing anything, anywhere, just to be safe smile.gif

Computers in typical offices are typically not what you'd use for video editing. A computer that you've set up for multi track recording at home with lots of ram should do the trick :) I"ve got 8 gig of ram and a quad core processor and it's running great smile.gif

My office computer it's not so typical, actually it's a fast one smile.gif This is the advantage for working in a IT Company biggrin.gif Because at home I don't have a lot time to make experiments, this PC help me to make this at my office smile.gif It support very well and it's faster with Sony Vegas and Ableton.

My fault was because I didn't read the guide before. But, when you said about this program and related like a good alternative than Windows Moviemaker, somehow in my mind I thought he don't need too much resources. That was the motif for why I not read the guide before install the program.
Unfortunately even if I try this at my home PC, it will doesn't work because it's not so powerful. I have 8GB ram, I3CPU but no dedicated video card. For my usual needs wasn't necessary an upgrade and for the moment I can't afford a much powerful PC even if I wish sad.gif

I really would like to see this program how it goes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Apr 10 2014, 09:38 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 9 2014, 10:53 PM) *
... I was thinking everyone would read the config guide, and install it on their beefed up home studio rig. ...

Read the guide? No one ever does that mate wink.gif .

My daughter is just getting into post and is saving up for a high end Mac specifically for that. Once she has it we'll download it so thanks as this will be great for her smile.gif . We've nothing to test it on at the mo though as her current pc is a few years old and quite basic (it's mainly for her school work). My studio pc have sufficient CPU and ram but the video cards won't be up to spec. My laptop will but then I'll never get it back from my daughter...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 13 2014, 03:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 9 2014, 09:20 PM) *

I hate that simialr feeling when I finally get great VST plug-in and it works perfect alone but...it's too haevy for full band session in DAW tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 14 2014, 11:57 PM
As you mentioned, it crashed it right away which is a good sign that the machine was nowhere close to be able to run the software. sad.gif Then again, you also mentioned installing before reading the guide which is just begging for trouble. sad.gif A good lesson to learn though!!!!

Always read the documentation before installing ANYTHING on your rig. sad.gif It can save you lots of trouble. It's quicker to just haul off and install stuff, but it's not worth it if it wrecks your machine.

I have onlly 8 gb of ram on my machine at home and it runs great smile.gif But I have a 2gb video card. You really need the video card to be beefy for this. I was not trying to equate hardware requirements between moviemaker and this one, sad.gif I was just saying that since movie maker is crap, it's good to get away from it as soon as possible. sad.gif I am very sorry that you ended up crashing your work rig but hopefully this will be the last time you install first and read later smile.gif

When you next buy a new/upgraded machine you will be able to test this out and see what you think smile.gif It will run with 8gb of ram, but runs better with 12. I bought 4gb so I can have 12. I'm running a quad core cpu which is a good idea as well.

This is a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY high end bit of hardware that needs to be run on a workstation class machine per the guidelines in the documentation. The good news is, once you get it running you can do pretty much everything that High End color correction studios do to their footage to make it amazing!

In short DAVINCI RESOLVE is positioning itself to TAKE OVER FOR FINCAL CUT PRO AND PREMIERE IMHO!!! Final Cut Pro X has chased away many loyal users and Premiere is simply not up to snuff on color correction. The only other real choice is AVID and AVID shows signs of GOING OUT OF BUSINESS (They got delisted from the stock exchange recently and won't release their actual sales/cost numbers). Meanwhile RESOLVE keeps adding features and is now a full featured editor.

I realize I may be talking over the heads of most of the readers here @ GMC and I apologize for that. Having been a video editor for years, I may be making several assumptions that are simply not valid. In short, this software is amazingly powerful, and is poised to take over a very fragmented field. IF you can get your rig up to snuff to run it, it's worth a go. Between this and REAPER, you have a very powerful low budget combo indeed smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Apr 10 2014, 02:28 AM) *
My office computer it's not so typical, actually it's a fast one smile.gif This is the advantage for working in a IT Company biggrin.gif Because at home I don't have a lot time to make experiments, this PC help me to make this at my office smile.gif It support very well and it's faster with Sony Vegas and Ableton.

My fault was because I didn't read the guide before. But, when you said about this program and related like a good alternative than Windows Moviemaker, somehow in my mind I thought he don't need too much resources. That was the motif for why I not read the guide before install the program.
Unfortunately even if I try this at my home PC, it will doesn't work because it's not so powerful. I have 8GB ram, I3CPU but no dedicated video card. For my usual needs wasn't necessary an upgrade and for the moment I can't afford a much powerful PC even if I wish sad.gif

I really would like to see this program how it goes smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 14 2014, 11:58 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:45 PM