4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Poster Boy's Bootcamp, The toughest job you'll ever love!!!
Todd Simpson
Aug 9 2014, 05:35 AM
GMC:er
Glad to hear it Soldier! Keep in mind, I'm more concerned with PRECISION than speed!! After all, "Speed is a byproduct of precision" as they say smile.gif Worry about the precision, and the speed will take care of itself.

Sarge

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 7 2014, 03:39 AM) *
Hey Todd I'll have another video for you this weekend. Lesson 4 I've got up to 105bpm with 16th notes, but I want to try and push it a little farther (I know I have it in me!) I'm also using this lesson's structure for the other 2 common shapes of 2 tones and tone- semi tone, for a bit of variation during my practice

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 31 2014, 12:04 PM
Learning Roadie
I promise a video tomorrow, I haven't been slacking I have just found with this lesson I can do it at 100 bpm but my 105 is sometimes ok sometimes with extraneous string noise and sometimes shockingly bad. Definitely this is my speed limit AT THE MOMENT. I refuse to set it in concrete.

It's also been interesting to be practising on my other guitars, a Tele with higher action and a Les Paul. The feel is different with each but doesn't affect my abilities once I adjust to them

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Aug 31 2014, 12:07 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 31 2014, 06:18 PM
Good to hear you FIGHTING HARD!! Don't let the guitars dictate your playing, as you have found out Soldier, YOU are the mast of the fretboard during battle. YOU set the tone, no matter what axe you are playing!! I look forward to your new MISSION!!! Don't overpractice though as I may have you run the mission again if I see something that needs adjustment. I'd say shoot what you have! I can make a critique and let you know what to change or if it's time to move to the next FIGHT!!

SARGE

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Aug 31 2014, 07:04 AM) *
I promise a video tomorrow, I haven't been slacking I have just found with this lesson I can do it at 100 bpm but my 105 is sometimes ok sometimes with extraneous string noise and sometimes shockingly bad. Definitely this is my speed limit AT THE MOMENT. I refuse to set it in concrete.

It's also been interesting to be practising on my other guitars, a Tele with higher action and a Les Paul. The feel is different with each but doesn't affect my abilities once I adjust to them

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 1 2014, 07:13 PM
Learning Roadie
What a doofus I am

I've been practice a half tone whole tone shape all this time. Anyway here it is, I'll do lesson 4 correctly with the whole tone half tone now.

I look forward to you feedback regardless

Here's a quick lesson 4 attempt at 90bpm

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Sep 1 2014, 07:16 PM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 1 2014, 11:17 PM
NICELY DONE SOLDIER!!!!! Your picking and right hand position is making great gains. I can see blood on the fretboard!! I'm gonna put you on a SPECIAL DUTY mission soldier, I can see that you've got these chops down pat, I wanna push you a bit harder!!!

Take one more vid, do either finger position you like, whichever is more workable and DOUBLE PICK (pick each note twice) so slow down the metronome until the lick starts to come together. I think your ready for this!!!

SARGE

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Sep 1 2014, 02:13 PM) *
What a doofus I am

I've been practice a half tone whole tone shape all this time. Anyway here it is, I'll do lesson 4 correctly with the whole tone half tone now.

I look forward to you feedback regardless

Here's a quick lesson 4 attempt at 90bpm

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 18 2016, 09:47 AM
Learning Roadie
AWOL for a year and 7 months. I came to what I think is a big tension problem for my fretting hand and therefore preventing progress in speed and other areas of technique.

So I thought what's the best place to break things down into simple chunk like pieces to help focus on this whilst progressing in other areas so as not to get bored. Yep Todd's bootcamp!

Here's a video showing where I think my problem lies.

I have a collapsing thumb, someone else noticed it collapses more on strings 1,2 and 3 when I pull my elbow back instead of letting my wrist rotate. I also notice going up the neck my thumb drags behind my fingers rather than staying parallel with my index and middle finger. I don't put too much pressure on my neck from my thumb but I do notice my hand tenses more with the thumb collapsed.

I am trying to rectify my posture too, bringing the guitar in more to the body and looking less at my fretboard so I don't angle the guitar body towards the ceiling.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 18 2016, 08:37 PM
Try playing THUMBLESS! smile.gif We do this all the time in Vid chat. Sit in classical position and pull the guitar toward you with your right arm and lift your thumb OFF the neck. This prevents the tension issues that so many folks face, including me smile.gif Then later, you can lay your thumb back down just as a guide, not as a fulcrum.

P.S. Angling your guitar toward the celing is a bit ok smile.gif Sort of 45 degrees is fine or there abouts.

GIve it a try and let me know!
Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 18 2016, 08:39 PM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 19 2016, 04:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Its a weird feeling not having the thumb there, but it does show how little pressure is needed to fret notes.

Another interesting thing, doing lesson 4 double picked was causing me lots of picking issues where I really felt I was fighting the string and it felt awkward changing strings, then I remembered the Cracking the code videos of the downward pick slant and that makes it so much easier.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 19 2016, 05:26 PM
Bingo!! It will help retrain your hand a bit to focus on the finger tips and not focus on the thumb as a fulcrum to create pressure. Using the thumb for counter pressure can cause tension problems in the hand and eventually lead to something called "Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" which is awful. Your arms hurt all the time and you have to take a six month break from guitar. I had it happen sad.gif Then I developed the thumbless technique to prevent it happening again.

The pick slant is really helpful. Also, the way you hold the pick is important. Try to "choke up" on the pick so that only the tip is extending from your fingers. Also, I'd suggest a stiff pick so that "pick flex" doesn't ruin your precision. Also, I"d suggest a SHARP pick, like the DUNLOP SHOP or JAZZ series or really any sharp/pointy pick. This will help reduce the amount of pick that has to pass over the string and can make string traverse much easier. All just suggestions of course, and your mileage may vary, but I"ve seen all these things help people quite a bit smile.gif Which is why I keep suggesting them.

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 19 2016, 11:50 AM) *
Its a weird feeling not having the thumb there, but it does show how little pressure is needed to fret notes.

Another interesting thing, doing lesson 4 double picked was causing me lots of picking issues where I really felt I was fighting the string and it felt awkward changing strings, then I remembered the Cracking the code videos of the downward pick slant and that makes it so much easier.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 27 2016, 10:04 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Todd I've just quit my church worship team, so much more time for meaningful guitar practice. I think playing with guys that don't take musicianship seriously (the balance between musicianship and spirituality stuff was way off) and playing uninspiring music didn't give me much motivation to get my own act together.

Now I'll have a big ol' hole in my life to fill with awesome technique and creative playing, and hopefully get some songs composed and recorded, but we'll see I know what I'm like at the start of a new chapter and what happens when life starts getting in the way!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 27 2016, 10:38 AM
Learning Roadie
Sorry for the bad audio quality the position of my speakers in relation to my webcam mic is as far from optimal as it gets, but it's quicker recording like this than to use Sony Vegas and sync audio and video together.

So way back when... you asked me to practice lesson 4 again but this time double picked.

Things I learnt were when going from an up pick on a higher (pitched) string to a down pick on a lower string, a down slant on the pick makes things much smoother, this is something I watched in Cracking the code, but when you actually put it into practice it really makes sense.

This is at 103 bpm

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 28 2016, 04:24 AM
Welcome Back Soldier!! Great to see you on the FIELD OF BATTLE again!!! Let's debrief!!

First off, this is well played. Solid technique, solid timing and you have a really good grasp of DOUBLE PICKING!!!! I started you off doing doubles much earlier than I usually start most folks. I could see some good practice in your playing and thought you could use the challenge smile.gif Congrats on rising to the occasion!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Precise Pick Control
2.)Good Palm Mute
3.)Aggressive style and approach

This is not an easy lick and you kept solid pace the entire way up and down the neck. Your alternate picking is quite good and your traverse (moving between strings) is quite good as well. That's part of what makes this lick tough. Soldier, you nailed it!!!

Congrats Soldier, you just ...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 27 2016, 05:38 AM) *
Sorry for the bad audio quality the position of my speakers in relation to my webcam mic is as far from optimal as it gets, but it's quicker recording like this than to use Sony Vegas and sync audio and video together.

So way back when... you asked me to practice lesson 4 again but this time double picked.

Things I learnt were when going from an up pick on a higher (pitched) string to a down pick on a lower string, a down slant on the pick makes things much smoother, this is something I watched in Cracking the code, but when you actually put it into practice it really makes sense.

This is at 103 bpm

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jun 28 2016, 12:12 PM
Learning Roadie
One thing I'm focusing on with lesson 5 is bringing my thumb with me when I move up to the next position on the neck. I have a habit of leaving it trailing behind until it need a movement all of its own to get it back with the rest of my hand and this band habit brings mistakes and tension to my playing. So I'm trying to initiate the movement to the next position with my thumb in a very subtle way as I work on the exercise super slowly.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 28 2016, 09:17 PM
Good plan smile.gif If you can stand sitting in classical position, instead of side saddle, you can use your arm to hold the guitar in and go "thumbless" (taking your thumb off the neck) which is a technique that I advise everyone to at least try as it helps reset the pressure you are using on your thumb. Most folks use way too much pressure without realizing it.

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 28 2016, 07:12 AM) *
One thing I'm focusing on with lesson 5 is bringing my thumb with me when I move up to the next position on the neck. I have a habit of leaving it trailing behind until it need a movement all of its own to get it back with the rest of my hand and this band habit brings mistakes and tension to my playing. So I'm trying to initiate the movement to the next position with my thumb in a very subtle way as I work on the exercise super slowly.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 7 2016, 08:57 AM
Learning Roadie
Here's lesson 5 ascending, I'll send one of me descending the pattern too, I couldn't get a clean enough take this morning

101bpm (as always I do everything in 1/16 notes!)

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 7 2016, 09:41 AM
Well fought Soldier!!! Do the heading down version and you have earned your LEVEL UP!

Sarge

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 7 2016, 03:57 AM) *
Here's lesson 5 ascending, I'll send one of me descending the pattern too, I couldn't get a clean enough take this morning

101bpm (as always I do everything in 1/16 notes!)

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 17 2016, 11:18 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm not sure why descending gave me so much trouble

Lesson 5 descending 101 bpm

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jul 17 2016, 11:20 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 18 2016, 07:05 AM
Well fought Soldier!! Descending is tough since there is less than a beat to get your hand in to position and ready for the pick strike. Going up it's almost like sliding in to position, going down, it's more like having to find and then plant in to position. The good news is I see blood on the frets!

Let's Debrief!!!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

1.)Precise picking control
2.)Tight palm mute
3.)Spiff right/left hand synch

You are killing it Soldier!! I think it's time for MISSION 6!!! These will get harder as you go and I"ll require more from you so reload and go for it!

BTW you just LEVELED UP!!!!!!
Attached Image

Congrats Soldier, you just ...
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 17 2016, 06:18 AM) *
I'm not sure why descending gave me so much trouble

Lesson 5 descending 101 bpm

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 23 2016, 12:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Todd you said you'd require more and more from me as the levels go up, but I think I require more of myself, so with each lesson I try and take the main object of the lesson and expand on it to get the most out of it I can

With Lesson 6 I came up with this expansion of the lick (see pdf) nothing groundbreaking but nice to try a couple other shapes and to realise when another string comes into play how much the difficulty goes up and the speed must come down!

Here's a rough video of the expanded exercise at 130bpm, excuse the overreach on the first bar!!, I'll post up the proper lesson video at a faster tempo in the next day or so.

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jul 23 2016, 12:20 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Todd_s_Shred_Journey_Lesson_6_Expanded.pdf ( 49.04K ) Number of downloads: 182

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 23 2016, 11:26 PM
Nice!! That's sorta the entire end point of all this, is to get you to be able to use this stuff in a musical context. So super well done on that smile.gif Otherwise, all of this is just pointless imho. It looks like you have a good grip on the MISSION. In light of your obvious ability, I'd like to see (if possible) an example of "Multi picking" on your next MISSION VID in addition to the lick as posted. So play the lick as posted at any speed that is comfy, then "Double Pick" the lick. All this means is that for every single note in the original, pick it twice for the duration of the lick.

There are TWO VERSIONS of the lick in Mission 6 so you need to show both versions as posted. Also, you'll need to show double picking versions of both licks. For the second version of the lick as posted, it alternates between two strikes on the 11th fret and one strike on the pedal tone. If you "Double" this, you get 4 strikes on the 11th fret and 2 strikes on the pedal tone. This may confuse your fingers at first, but they should adapt quickly. If this becomes a huge sticking point (some folks just find it difficult) let me know in your mission post and just do the two versions of the lick as posted.

I'm stoked to see you taking these and making them your own and using them in a Musical way. Score!!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 23 2016, 07:19 AM) *
Todd you said you'd require more and more from me as the levels go up, but I think I require more of myself, so with each lesson I try and take the main object of the lesson and expand on it to get the most out of it I can

With Lesson 6 I came up with this expansion of the lick (see pdf) nothing groundbreaking but nice to try a couple other shapes and to realise when another string comes into play how much the difficulty goes up and the speed must come down!

Here's a rough video of the expanded exercise at 130bpm, excuse the overreach on the first bar!!, I'll post up the proper lesson video at a faster tempo in the next day or so.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:59 AM